Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New owner and a beginner rider! (Read 206 times)
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New owner and a beginner rider!
07/13/16 at 21:03:45

Bought a brand new S40 less than two weeks ago. This is my first bike and the first bike I ever ridden. Getting the hang of it and having fun! Obviously looking for all sorts of advice and recommended mods.

The one thing that I already want to change is to relocate the gauge. I don't like how they are placed on the fuel tank, I keep forgetting to shut off my turn signals.

Also looking to add crash bars.

IMG_0900.jpg
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: New owner and a beginner rider!
Reply #1 - 07/13/16 at 22:11:27

Take an MSF course if you haven't already done so. Then you can think of mods. It may be difficult to relocate the speedo. but you can buy aftermarket ones that can mount on the handle bars. You shouldn't need the popular Raptor mod for a little while yet. Remember you have three friends in motorcycling, your two mirrors and the big gap in front of you. Are you shoulder checking?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 07/14/16 at 04:21:56

The Savage was not my first bike - but it was my first bike with the speedo and indicator lights in the gas tank......it doesn't work for me.  With my full coverage helmet I had to roll my head down and completely lose sight of the roadway to glance at the speedo....and the turn signal indicator light is invisible when my helmet is on.

Moving the speedometer and gauges is doable - but not easy.  You might consider adding a Trail Tech Vapor with the dash panel to the top of the forks....and you could just leave the stock parts where they are.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Reply #3 - 07/14/16 at 06:25:48

Here's a link that shows you how to add a buzzer that reminds
you to turn off your turn signal.    Its easy and inexpensive.

See Reply No. 14 and No. 19

Blinker Buddy:   http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1285772416/0

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/14/16 at 07:33:56

jcstokes wrote on 07/13/16 at 22:11:27:
Take an MSF course if you haven't already done so. Then you can think of mods. It may be difficult to relocate the speedo. but you can buy aftermarket ones that can mount on the handle bars. You shouldn't need the popular Raptor mod for a little while yet. Remember you have three friends in motorcycling, your two mirrors and the big gap in front of you. Are you shoulder checking?

Of course, signed up for MSF course which is coming up on August 5th, 6th and 7th. After I pass that, I will still need to get my license - right now I'm riding around my neighborhood only with a permit. A lot of stuff to learn still and I'm being very careful.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/14/16 at 07:37:58

Dave wrote on 07/14/16 at 04:21:56:
The Savage was not my first bike - but it was my first bike with the speedo and indicator lights in the gas tank......it doesn't work for me.  With my full coverage helmet I had to roll my head down and completely lose sight of the roadway to glance at the speedo....and the turn signal indicator light is invisible when my helmet is on.

Moving the speedometer and gauges is doable - but not easy.  You might consider adding a Trail Tech Vapor with the dash panel to the top of the forks....and you could just leave the stock parts where they are.

Is it a difficult procedure to install this Trail Tech Vapor system? I went on their website and they don't seem to have it listed for S40.

For a beginner rider, it's even worse having to roll my head down like this every time.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 07/14/16 at 07:51:59

Scan the road, look for potholes, dead critters, traffic at an intersection, oncoming, oncoming that might turn, Any potential threat.

Quickly look down. It doesn't require study to read the speedo.

The only time I really needed it was when I was not rolling with traffic. After some time you'll get a feel for it, you'll know what gear you're in, and how hard it's running, you'll have a clue, not enough to keep you from getting a ticket,but you won't be running seventy five thinking you're going fifty five.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #7 - 07/14/16 at 07:52:35

Welcome to the forum. The previous replies pretty much answer most of your initial questions. Most will agree with the location of the speedo and blinker lights. You will get used to the bike and have a good "feel" for the speed based on experience and as well what the RPMs feel like in specific gears so don't let that bug you too bad. As far as the blinker lights, do the buzzer mod mentioned above, or you can to the same wiring but instead of connecting a buzzer you can connect a LED and wire that up to your handlebars where it is visible. Buzzer is better though because you don't have to "look" for it.

I got mine about 4 years ago as my first bike at 38 years old and still love the snot out of it.  I'm mostly a traditionalist, but the mods I have done so far that I do recommend once you are comfortable are:
- Swapped to Harley Dyna muffler
- Rejet as needed and white spacer mod (varies by location/altitude)
- Added stock engine guard with kuryakyn longhorn pegs
- Seat lift mod (if you need it)
- Speedo rattle mod (if it rattles)
- Headlight rattle mod (if it rattles)
- LED blinker warning light (buzzer is better though)
- Shim rear pulley (if/when yours seems loose)

I'm sure there is something I am forgetting, but those are the ones I was glad I did at the appropriate time.

DEFINITELY do the MSF course and don't take it for granted. I'm agile and not a complete idiot, but what I learned there as definitely helped me react properly and avoid many potential collisions with idiots in cars pulling out/over on me.

Just remember, no matter how good you get at riding, treat EVERY driveway and EVERY car that you see as if they are planning to pull out on you, because the minute you think they won't and let your guard down, some idiot will pull right out!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #8 - 07/14/16 at 09:13:36

Welcome! The Savage was my first bike, and it felt like "a lot" to handle initially. The fantastic part about this bike, is once you get some experience and more sure footing, its light weight makes it a dream to handle in parking lots and confined spaces, and a riot to ride on the round. You can't trot a larger, heavier bike around a parking lot or while learning the curves as forgivingly as you can the Ole' Savage. It's one of the simplest bikes to learn on, and with experience when pushed on the back roads can dust your friends as well.

-Like others have said, take your time and stay focued while riding and you'll be a natural meant for the road in no time.
-Work on making sure you are sure footed with every step when moving the bike around at low speed. Pay attention to if you're about to set your foot down on gravel, sand, cinder, etc.
-I would recommend investing in a quality set of riding gear and helmet as soon as you're able to. This will make you more comfortable, often more visible, and can have the potential to let what could be serious injuries never get passed the level of mild discomfort. Plus I think riding gear can look cool.  Cool Good luck and have fun tearing the nipples off the tires.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/14/16 at 09:53:04

Just ordered piezo buzzer from Radio shack to solve the issue with my turn signals. I may not even add a new speedo as I do generally have a good sense of speed. The blinkers were my biggest problem.

What is a good choice of crash bars? I'd like to add these mostly for safety.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #10 - 07/14/16 at 11:34:35

I dunno if there are many that fit our bike besides the stock ones.  I'll have to await others to chime in on that one.  Stock crash bars are not that large and won't stop the handlebars (or YOU) from getting damage if you drop the bike. If you want to try them, post a WTB in the marketplace and someone may have some to offer you cheap. I got mine for $30 shipped, which was a steal and they were practically brand new.
« Last Edit: 07/14/16 at 18:47:08 by stewmills »  

IMG_20160511_080557_2_001.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
youngde811
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #11 - 07/14/16 at 15:39:00

Welcome. Your experience sounds similar to mine, with one major exception: I bought a new 2014 S40, got my permit, and started riding in the neighborhood. Moved on to secondary roads, had a close call, and quit riding for almost nine months. This past March I said "screw this, I love riding", took the MSF course, got my endorsement and have been riding to work just about every day now.

I'm 57 years old and the S40 is my first bike, and like you I had never ridden before. I practice daily what others on this thread have preached: scan everything, be aware, don't target fixate, etc.

My S40 is bone stock, and I don't plan to change anything on it. Yeah, I wish it had an actual instrument cluster on the handlebars, but that's not what this bike is about.

This forum is great; you'll like it here. Lot's of smart, very helpful people. Again, welcome.

David

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #12 - 07/14/16 at 19:37:39

I have a tendency to check my turn signals on a regular basis even if I'm not turning. Sometimes I leave them on too! DON'T DO THIS! It's dangerous and misleading to other drivers.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #13 - 07/14/16 at 20:10:36

Stew,

How many decibels is the buzzer you used?

Where did you purchase it?

Kenny G

IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Reply #14 - 07/14/16 at 20:26:58

The Radio Shack Piezo Buzzer referenced in Reply No. 3 above is 76 decibels.

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 10:42:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New owner and a beginner rider!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.