Rotella viscosity (Read 248 times)
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Rotella viscosity
07/13/16 at 19:02:26

Have to say, I never joined the Shell Rotella cult, although it seems to be quite big and enthusiastic.
Looking at the stuff the other day in the store. Seems the most butch stuff they have is 15w40. I've always run 20w50 or 15w50 in air-cooled bikes in the summer. Traffic, caning the bike on a back road, or a long hard run on a highway thins out the thin oil to a dangerous level. Saw the oil pressure light come on using 10w40 way back when.
Anyone run this stuff in hot weather, or bad traffic and have long term happy results?

thanks,
-Armen

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Re: Rotella viscosity
Reply #1 - 07/13/16 at 21:14:11

Armen,

I live in Texas and whatever you imagine about how hot Hell is, it is hotter here....

Shell Rotella (550019921) T6 5W-40 Full Synthetic, Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil (CJ-4) - 1 Gallon

I have been using this for the last 6000 miles with no evidence of overheating or any appreciable oil burning.

Use what ever you feel comfortable with.

Kenny G

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/13/16 at 21:33:38

I did tests with several oils and the 50wt actually makes the head hotter.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1283117891/0

The savage does use oil cooling and to slow it down with the heavier wt. just makes it hotter.

WWW   IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #3 - 07/13/16 at 23:22:32

Verslagen,

Thank you.

That is excellent information you posted about oil thickness and engine temperature.

You have proven something that I always suspected, but could never think of a way to prove.

I hope to be able to continue with the Rotella Synthetic until they change the formulation enough to affect the clutch.

I do use 1 ounce of the RedLine additive to every oil change.

Kenny G

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #4 - 07/14/16 at 01:07:49

Can someone please convince me of the usefulness of 'synthetic' oil or of 'organic' veggies ?
Both appear overpriced, never had a problem with 'regular' !  Cool

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #5 - 07/14/16 at 03:14:52

Hey guys,
Thanks for the informative answers. I never would have run 5W40 in an air-cooled engine unless it was at the North Pole.
-Armen

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 07/14/16 at 05:18:34

zipidachimp wrote on 07/14/16 at 01:07:49:
Can someone please convince me of the usefulness of 'synthetic' oil or of 'organic' veggies ?
Both appear overpriced, never had a problem with 'regular' !  Cool

I can't help you with the oil, but if I eat Regular food for a while, I start twitching like a Parkinson's patient.
I can go out to the restaurant and be in bed in a coupla hours, maybe for a coupla days, do your research.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Reply #7 - 07/14/16 at 06:07:10

zipidachimp asked :

"Can someone please convince me of the usefulness of 'synthetic' oil ?"

Here is a link to an excellent short video that explains synthetic oil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYkg0oDUXs8

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 07/14/16 at 06:21:58

I used to use expensive designer oils, and I never had any oil related failures.

Then when the oils started to be changed and the ZDDP levels dropped, and I started reading about the failed cams and rockers in vintage cars, tractors and motorcycles.....I started to pay a bit more attention.

For the Savage, I do believe the Shell Rotella T and T-6 will work just fine, and you will likely never have any oil related problems.  I really don't believe the Savage is over-stressed thermally or mechanically - and the difference in oil viscosity between a 15W-40 or 20W-50 is most likely negligible at normal operating temperatures.  There have been a few instances where I have gotten the engine noticeably hotter than what is my "normal"....once we were on a 1st gear climb up a steep gravel road in 90+ weather on a trip to TN/NC....and another time MMRanch took me down Main Street in Gatlinburg in 90+ temperatures, and we were just crawling through town and I shut my engine off several times as we sat and waited for some kind of movement.

The only oil related failures I am aware of come from:  1)  Most are cam bearing failures from running the engine at too low of an idle speed.  2) The next most common failure is cam lobe or rocker failure from running an oil with too low ZDDP content.  3) Some folks have clutch slippage from running an automotive oil that is energy saving and has friction modifiers.  4)  Some members have run their engines on the interstate at high speeds for extended periods and run low on oil and suffered from piston/cylinder seizures.......two members had Wiseco piston seizures during the "break in" period (one pushed his bike to 80 mph for an extended period....the other one has never reported back on why his may have seized - The Wiseco pistons have proven to be reliable when they are broken in properly).

So....the bottom line is that you most likely don't need to worry about an oil related engine failure as long as you keep 1,200 ppm of ZDDP, don't use friction modifiers, and keep an eye on the oil level, and keep your idle speed up around 1,100 rpm.  We also don't recommend letting your bike warm up while idling on the side stand - start the bike up, give it a few seconds to get the oil flowing....then slowly ride off and allow the bike to warm up a bit before using full throttle.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 07/14/16 at 06:26:29

Time on the sidestand is time when the upper end of the cam is starving for oil.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 07/14/16 at 10:39:03

Here is the oil chart from the Owners manual.  10W-40 and 10W-50 appear to be interchangeable from -4 degrees to over 104 degrees of air temperature.  20W-50 is good down to 14 degrees!

The Rotella T 15W-40 works from 5 degrees up to over 104 degrees.

Suzuki doesn't seem to care if you use the 40 or 50 for the upper number.......but do prefer the thinner oils as the temperatures drops below freezing.

Oil_Chart.jpg

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 07/14/16 at 10:44:19

Dave, should I be adding Redline to the backhoe?
And when I get the bike, I will certainly be adding to it.

How many ounces per gallon for the backhoe would you think?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 07/14/16 at 10:58:06

Shell states the ZDDP content is still 1,200 ppm, and that is an acceptable level I believe.  Levels over 1,400 ppm can be OK for break in of cams - but it is believed that over 1,400 ppm can cause damage when used long term.

I really don't think you need to add anything to the Rotella T for your backhoe.....I don't add anything to the oil when I use it in my diesel tractor or yard equipment.

Bumping the level from 1,200 ppm to 1,400 ppm for use in the Savage requires using 1/2 oz of Redline for the approximately 2 quarts to be used.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 07/14/16 at 11:09:17

Thank You, Dave. A half ounce per oil change shouldn't cost must. And, considering the potential cost of Not adding it, it's pretty much free.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 07/14/16 at 11:34:56

I really don't think that you "must" add anything to the Rotella T or T-6.  Nobody has reported any damage from using oils that have the old standard of 1,200 ppm of ZDDP.  The damage occurs when riders use the modern oils that have ZDDP levels down around 600 ppm.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:26:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rotella viscosity

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.