Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sudden Oil Leak (spray?) Around Clutch Cover (Read 294 times)
tinkleFury
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sudden Oil Leak (spray?) Around Clutch Cover
07/12/16 at 20:06:05

So, I got home after work on ol' Merco (she's a '95 rat) today and noticed a lot of smokey stuff after stopping. At first I thought it was just hot, but on getting off the bike to have a look I see oil dripping, and it's getting all over the exhaust, which explains the smoke (?). I snapped a quick video. Some important notes.
  • Never seen a drop of oil from this bike (though, only my 2nd year with it).
  • I did have the clutch cover off this spring to verslavy it (was close!). Installed new gasket afterward.
  • Have only been out on it a dozen or so times this spring.
  • It was hot as balls out today.

Curious to know if it's likely just the clutch cover gasket (maybe I got a crap one?). Or if oil will try to escape like this for another reason?

1996 LS650 bobber rat - window bars - peanut tank - solo seat - flat rear fender - straight pipe - terribly abused
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Sudden Oil Leak (spray?) Around Clutch Cover
Reply #1 - 07/12/16 at 20:49:11

I have read here that a tiny amount of top quality sealant should be used at the top area around the oil galleys. I use the overpriced Suzuki gasket that has sealant on it.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 07/12/16 at 21:06:13

TF ,If your leak is on the cover there are three bolts that have oil seals on them because of passages behind them .If the leak is low and to the rear it is most likely coming from the small rubber plug above the oil level window which is the ground wire running to the neutral switch.  The first can be fixed by replacing the seal the second with some high temp silicon but you'll have to remove the side cover.In any event you should wash the engine and restart to determine just where the leak is.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 07/13/16 at 04:17:01

You are far more qualified to find that leak than we are.....you are there!

Take some cleaner and clean off the oil, dry the thing off, and start it up and look for the source of the leak.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
tinkleFury
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/13/16 at 04:24:59

Ah, good idea. I'll try to clean her up and see exactly where it's coming out. If it's the neutral ground pathway, I just cover that little grommet with sealant and then re-install the cover?

I'm half hopeful that maybe I could tighten the cover down some more. I don't have a torque wrench small enough to do anything meaningful with those cover bolts, so when I put the cover on in April I just snugged them 'decently tight'. I did have some concerns about that. Are you supposed to re-torque those bolts after having the engine up to temperature or anything? I gotta believe all that heat could upset the initial installation a little.

Not sure what an oil galley is. Guess I'm going to need a new cover gasket, eh?

1996 LS650 bobber rat - window bars - peanut tank - solo seat - flat rear fender - straight pipe - terribly abused
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 07/13/16 at 04:42:42

The oil galley is the place at the top of the engine case, where you see the double walls.  Oil travels at pressure through this channel, on the way to the cylinder head.  The factory gasket has some sealer bonded to it to help seal this area...most aftermarket gaskets don't have that sealer.

(Pay no attention to the failed cam chain tensioner in the photo!)

Oil_Galley.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 07/13/16 at 06:16:31

I don't have a torque wrench small enough to do anything meaningful with those cover bolts, so when I put the cover on in April I just snugged them 'decently tighT.

I went back with a dry gasket. Never again. It leaked. I WAS able to solve it by tightening, but, only an end wrench fits in there with the exhaust system on. I had to pull on the wrench hard enough to worry me, but with the short little end wrench, you can Feel the threads clamp parts together. I could have hooked another wrench in the open end, but I didn't want to twist off....

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 07/13/16 at 17:24:09

You may be able to use the same gasket if you remove it carefully(get lucky)but if you do I would use a sealer on reassembly.You needto use it very carfully as you don't want it to enter the oil gallery and  block oil flow .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 07/13/16 at 18:50:19

When it comes to using sealer, whether with a gasket or not, I use the small utility brushes to apply it.  It enables me to put a minimum on and avoid the excesses that go hither and yon.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #9 - 07/13/16 at 19:04:06

Check that the speedo cable is tight at the bottom end, before dismantling anything.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
tinkleFury
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/19/16 at 08:52:33

Ah... thanks everybody. I fired up the bike today in the hopes of riding it to work. Saw a little bit of oil seeping out close to the neutral switch cable. I snugged up the cover some and took off. Didn't get 1 mile before noticing a cloud of smoke in my rear view and looked down to see oil SPRAYING out everywhere!! oops!

Ordered a new gasket. Will bomb some sealant around the cable grommet and see if that helps.

IP Logged
Matt_greatlakesstate

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Midland, MI
Reply #11 - 07/19/16 at 09:47:30

+1 for the speedo cable. I had oil coming out of that last summer and rolling down the clutch cover

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #12 - 07/19/16 at 10:15:00

Don't use too much sealant you don't want it in the oil galley it will plug things up !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
tinkleFury
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/07/16 at 18:41:45

Question! So, my new gasket arrived in the mail on friday (finally). This 'sealant' to which folks refer, what is it? I asked at the local auto place and they pointed me to something called 'silicone sealant'. Is this what I want to be glazing everything with? Both sides of the gasket and around the grommet for the neutral switch cable?

I searched for 'sealant' in rubber side down and only got 9 hits. Mostly this thread. Maybe I'm just the only one who's not sure what the stuff is!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 08/07/16 at 19:18:10

Bike shop has what you need. No RTV.  A non hardening sealer, applied thin and even. No hurry, it's not gonna get hard.
Before you start, study the oil passages, and the glue strips on your gasket,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 00:26:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sudden Oil Leak (spray?) Around Clutch Cover

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.