Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Clutch disengaged,no momentum (Read 514 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Clutch disengaged,no momentum
Reply #45 - 08/02/16 at 13:33:06

I would suspect that when she went down on the left side, she got a bend/kink in the cable or clutch lever, and this didn't allow the cable to fully release the pressure on the clutch.  After riding around this way for a while, the clutch finally wore enough that the slippage became continuous........and cooked the clutch.

In addition to replacing the clutch pack, the operation of the clutch lever and cable needs to be checked over carefully, and the parts repaired or replaced as necessary.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #46 - 08/02/16 at 17:25:13

I just spoke with a well-respected bike mechanic in my area on the burned up clutch situation with the discoloration on the inner basket, and he seemed to suggest that the clutch basket could be reused if it wasn't deformed or something. He mentioned getting it checked for deformities.  He said he couldn't make a judgment on something he hasn't seen of course.

If you can get a kit with springs, steels, and frictions, that might be an idea, but someone mentioned other parts, like wave washers. That might be an issue.

How many additional parts does she need?

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #47 - 08/02/16 at 17:35:05

ohiomoto wrote on 08/02/16 at 09:58:34:
It's pretty clear your fiber plates are toast and the steel plates may be glazed as well.  

The reason it doesn't move at all is that when you fired the clutch (when it was still moving) everything was hot (and got really hot!) so the materials were expanded.  This accelerates the destruction even faster.  Then everything cooled down when the bike is shut down and sits for some time.  Now the plate material returns to it's normal size, except there is less material because it wore off and is in your oil.  So the plates are now thinner than they were before.  So thin in fact that they hardly touch.  And they are glazed over from the heat so they can't grab.

This happened to me a couple of times when I used to race 125cc motocross bikes in sand.  Once things start slipping, it all goes south quickly.  You finish the moto not even realizing the clutch was slipping and it won't move by time the second moto starts a couple of hours later.

The good news is, that you already have it apart.  Just take the springs off and pop the plates out.  I would do a set of friction plates for sure.  if the metal plates are steel, you should be able to de-glaze them, but since things got as hot as they did, you might want to spend the extra cash to replace them also.  If they are aluminum, they are surly garbage.  Springs wouldn't be a bad idea either.  That clutch kit you found would be perfect.

If the steel plates are tempered, could they have gotten hot enough to lose temper?

If not, you can probably measure them for wear and clean them in solvent or sand them or something to make them grip again. The frictions... less likely. I'd take them out and measure them though. Didn't Oldfeller talk about soaking friction plates? That had to do with oil, right? Maybe if they're not badly worn, the burned part can be sanded off? But then, you still have to deal with the weak clutch.

Ahh, but then, maybe you can add plates and make one of those Yoda performance clutches, as people here call 'em.

Now, that's cheap. Smiley

Wonder how well it would work with stronger springs? Broken throw out parts?

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #48 - 08/02/16 at 17:48:53

Without doing an eyes on inspection I'd be looking at the price of a used clutch from a low mileage, crashed Savage.
Id compare it to new parts.
The cage condition could be guessed at, based on spring tension, plate warpage, and how things generally look. The cage should be okay if the springs and plates are not ruined by heat.
JJ, call around, see what new parts cost, see if used is available and cost. Used being the Whole clutch assembly.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #49 - 08/02/16 at 20:57:07

Under normal conditions bthe only concerns with the cage would be if it were grooved or scalloped from long term abuse.  When this happens you'll have a grabby engagement/release because the friction plates get stuck on the cage.  It's easy enough to file the grooves down to make the cage smooth again.  You can do this a few times but if you take too much off, the clutch plates get sloppy and you reach catastrophic basket failure.
BuI don't think our bikes even produce enough power for that to happen.

Just throw that kit in there and be done.  It will be fine.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #50 - 08/03/16 at 04:33:32

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 20:26:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch disengaged,no momentum

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.