Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Clutch disengaged,no momentum (Read 514 times)
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Clutch disengaged,no momentum
Reply #15 - 07/13/16 at 10:25:01

Quote:
Is there any other way of diagnosing this loss of clutch response besides or before going in?

Disconnect the clutch cable from the arm on the engine.( This takes the cable out of the equation.}
1.With the engine off: kickstand up, sitting on the bike.
Shift the transmission into neutral.
See if you can push the bike. It should move easily.
Shift the transmission into first.
See if you can push the bike.
It should be very difficult or impossible to push.

2. Shift the transmission back into neutral.
Start the engine.( if the clutch safety switch on your bike is still connected and working you are still going to have to pull the clutch lever in to get the bike to start even though the cable is not connected)

With the engine idling, shift into first. The bike should lurch forward a bit and the engine should stall. You might want to hold a little pressure on the front brake in case the bike tries to take off.

Let us know what happens.

Quote:
When i release the clutch, the bike doesn't move.

Just a terminology note. When you release the clutch lever on the handlebar you are not releasing the clutch. Pulling the lever in releases -ie disengages the clutch. When you let go of the lever the clutch is engaged ie. it is connecting the engine to the transmission and ultimately the rear wheel. Pulling the handle bar lever in disconnects(disengages) the engine from the transmission. That's why you have to pull the lever in to sit a a stoplight for example if the transmission is not it neutral. Connecting or disconnecting {engaging or disengaging )the engine from the transmission is what the clutch is for.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #16 - 07/13/16 at 11:11:46

Sounds like a good idea, kinda like I said, but better... Disconnect the cable. Get rid of it. Sling it through the air so that you'll never find it again.  Cheesy

Grin Grin

Pay no attention to the handlebar lever.  It is meaningless now. You need to know whether the stuff inside the case is working right.

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 07/13/16 at 15:11:37

Get it in gear and see if you can push it.
If you can push it in second gear the clutch is slipping.
What you explained months ago was

The engine was running, bike started slowing down and you gave it gas, I think the clutch is scorched.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 08/01/16 at 13:55:15

Sorry for the long delay.life got in the way.
I spoke with ls-rich who told me to check my front sprocket to see if it was moving while the bike was in gear, engine off. My sprocket is fine and the bike doesn't roll in anything but neutral.
So, today, I removed the exhaust and clutch case and took a look inside.i will follow this post with pics.
First thing, I forgot to drain the oil and had to put the bolts back in before I had a major leak.
Drained the oil, pulled the cover and it was full of oil. Eegad! That's normal tho, yeah?
Upon visual inspection-mind you, I've only seen examples of really horrible clutches- I couldn't see anything wrong. I removed the piece holding the springs in place and noticed that the rod is super short,maybe just a quarter inch longer than the longest bolt I pulled from the cover. I don't know if that is abnormal.
The gasket is dried,cracked and needs to be replaced.
My exhaust was held on by bolts that were finger tight and not stock,so, surprisingly, someone has touched it before me. I didn't see a gasket there.should there be?
I took a few pics of the inside for more experienced eyes than my own and reassembled everything until tmrw. When I tried to reseat the clutch case cover, i had issue.i realized that it was due to the clutch lever. I couldn't figure a way to jig it so that it would sit properly so I removed the rod that sits in the midst of the clutch springs and it closed right up.
My uneducated guess from fingering it for a while is that it should be hitting that rod and that only after the rod was removed did it close. I'm thinking My rod is too short? Please forgive me if that was an oversimplification and I'm being ignorant. All of this is new for me.

The only other thing-I watched a vid on how clutches work on motorcycles.there was a second toothed plate behind the first on the engine shown.does the Suzuki have that? Here is the vid link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=agLa0A8GAfc

So far the hardest part was removing those two acorn nuts by the right peg.pain in the butt!!

image_340.jpg
  IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 08/01/16 at 13:55:52

Springs

image_341.jpg
  IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 08/01/16 at 13:56:22

On

image_342.jpg
  IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 08/01/16 at 13:58:25

One more

image_343.jpg
  IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 08/01/16 at 13:59:12

Last one

image_344.jpg
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #23 - 08/01/16 at 14:23:15

You ,need to show us the inside of the clutch side cover where the arm is that contacts the rod ,I fear you and your giant size friend may have bent/damaged the arm inside by horseing it upward. You should have taken the cover loose and held the arm level when placing the cover back on.Is the sintered piece with the concave dimple that holds the end of the release rod broken /bent /cracked/loose ? If it is ,it could be your problem.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 08/01/16 at 14:50:53

Why is your clutch plate holder chocolate?

measure the cam chain tensioner while you're there.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 08/01/16 at 15:07:06

All that brown goo on the clutch center should not be there.....it looks to me like your clutch is fried.

I believe you need to take the clutch apart, and measure the thickness of the fiber discs....and see what color the metal plates are.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 08/01/16 at 15:14:23

She started losing the ability to accelerate, even though the engine was winding up. She gave it gas, until it just would not pull. She cooked the clutch. WHYit started slipping is not yet known.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 08/01/16 at 16:06:41

I only took one pic of the inside of the cover bc I thought I was getting overzealous with the camera. I had the lever level but there was a fraction of space and I'm paranoid about rain so I removed the rod so asto get it tightly closed without reinserting all the bolts.

Ok,so i need to check the cam shaft length and take the clutch apart to measure the plates.

As JOG said, i still don't know what caused the clutch failure.

You guys are saying its fried, what does that mean for my bike and finances?
Embarrassed

image_345.jpg
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #28 - 08/01/16 at 16:31:44

If you have already explained EVERYTHING that happened , , leading up to discovering the kink in the clutch cable, then copy and paste it, please. If not, then everyone needs to know. It's been a long time, if I'm wrong, then please explain everything that happened.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #29 - 08/01/16 at 18:11:22

The cover looks like it absorbed some of the same heat that fried the clutch.there may be some damage to the piece that the rod seats into also .I'm thinking she is going to need clutch plates if they are worn,or at least a shorter rod,which may have been her problem in the first place. reving the engine with the clutch slipping really didn't help. How many miles on the bike?how long and how far did you drive the bike between the time it started to slip and when it would no longer move?

« Last Edit: 08/01/16 at 19:57:44 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 20:18:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch disengaged,no momentum

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.