Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clutch Spring Replacement (Read 105 times)
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Clutch Spring Replacement
07/12/16 at 08:40:19

I have a 2001 with 14.400 miles. Always ran Rotella-t 15W-40 for Dino Juice. As such, I'm about to crack open the clutch cover to check on the cam chain tensioner.

I have my clutch adjusted with a fair amount of free play, and the clutch is typically slip free after warm up. I've read some mention of replacing or shimming the clutch springs. Which spring is typically referenced in these procedure, the one attached to the arm near the clutch cam, or the substantially beefier clutch spring?

I'm looking to restore some of the feel at the clutch lever. Functionality seems to be fine, I can make it slip when the bike is still warming up, but the lever has quite a mushy un clean feel when operated. Perhaps I should have more discipline in practicing if it's fixed, don't break it...

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Clutch Spring Replacement
Reply #1 - 07/12/16 at 08:42:15

That's my motto... Cool

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/12/16 at 08:47:45

The clutch pack has some pretty serious springs in it. Finding washers to shim with is a hassle. You would not believe how much variation in thickness washers have. It's time consuming,my throwout broke, I went back to stock. But mine never slipped.
If you slip the clutch when launching and shifting the clutch won't perform as well,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #3 - 07/12/16 at 09:01:38

Hunting for the perfect washers does sound like a nightmare scavenger hunt among hardware stores.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 07/12/16 at 09:15:00

Diameter is not happening. But stacked on a bolt in a drill press, spinning and a grinder,,and take the dial calipers. They are sometimes not flat,but tapered.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 07/12/16 at 09:15:03

I really don't see any reason to fuss around with the springs or shimming.  The stock clutch handles my modified engine just fine, and it doesn't slip.

The stock clutch works fine when you give it proper oil, and it is adjusted.  Gritty/weird feeling are more likely coming from the handlebar lever or cable....when is the last time you cleaned or lubricated those?

It you want to take your clutch apart and clean/scuff the plates up a little bit to remove the glaze or any contaminants that might be on there from a previous oil (friction modifiers)...remove them, clean the oil off them, then place a piece of 360 or 400 grit sandpaper on a piece of glass and move the clutch plate and sand (soapy water for lubricant) the plate until the shine has mostly gone away....do this on both sides of the fiber washers.  Wash them off, let them dry, and then put a light coat of oil on them and put your clutch back together.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 07/12/16 at 09:28:31

When it comes to slipping, as long as you have free play, the amount doesn't matter, but do check at both end steering travel.

What does matter is throwout rod projection, too much and it won't fully engage, too little and it'll drag.
Take a look at the marks on the case and compare them to the lever position... digame.

WWW   IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #7 - 07/12/16 at 09:51:12

With freeplay in the clutch lever, with the lever released, I can reach down and push the arm on the side of my case with my finger. It will move maybe a fraction of an inch. I suppose this is what lead me to believe that springs had grown weaker over time.

The lever and travel doesn't feel gritty or obstructed, it feels smooth, but light and with some slop once released. Almost spongy. It's always been a light clutch to begin with, I would never expect it to feel heavy. I have it adjusted to grab in the first 1/3rd of travel. There is enough free play that I usually habitually tap the lever with my fingers after releasing to close the freeplay gap and satisfy my OCD.

Perhaps the issue is that when at the dealer/shop for parts I make the mistake of grabbing the clutch on new S40s when walking by and convincing myself in my head that mine is starting to have a "worn out" feeling. Maybe I should learn to stay on task at the dealer and not get distracted by the eye candy.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 07/12/16 at 09:58:40

Freeplay above is freeplay below.
there is a return spring, but it's pretty light.

So again, where's the lever in relation to the marks on the case?

WWW   IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #9 - 07/12/16 at 10:22:08

I'll have to take a look once I get a chance to crack into it this week. To check this, you unhook the clutch cable from the arm and find its resting position, correct?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 07/12/16 at 10:49:11

Just lift the lever, cable should go slack.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 07/12/16 at 11:02:27

verslagen1 wrote on 07/12/16 at 10:49:11:
Just lift the lever, cable should go slack.

Using one or two fingers and light pressure.........you are looking at removing the return spring slack.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/12/16 at 17:40:09

I also walk through the local dealership and twist the throttles and pull the clutch levers, they feel great.  I think that is because the cables are new and well lubed and not stretched or worn in any way.  So before you do something to the clutch it might be a good idea to lubricate the cable through its' entire length and see if that feels better.

It sounds like you might have a little too much free play in the adjustment at the handlebar.  If you have too much the clutch might not fully disengage and that makes shifting a little harder.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #13 - 07/13/16 at 06:18:38

I checked the arm, appears to be lifting to the middle/upper middle area between the marks. I have some photos I'll try and attach. Checking this raised a question I realized I'm not clear on. My original understanding was that free play in the lever should not equate to free play in the arm. I think this is what was causing me to adjust so much free play at the lever. Which after actuating the arm.. It immediately clicked what this would not make sense, as any travel in the cable caused by the lever should result in some travel of the arm, albeit through a range of free play at the arm.

Last night while out I adjust the clutch at the lever, leaving about a quarter sized gap of free play. Clutch grabs at the second half of travel, the slop feeling is pretty much cleaned up, and I was unable to get any slippage romping on it in 4th or 5th gear.

A few days prior I was doing a lot of reading in clutch related threads and I think I made my own head spin trying to understand its operation.. particularly the thread that discussed whether the rod should be shortened or lengthened to take up for clutch wear. I think I convinced myself to break the KISS principle and cause myself to think "well my clutch must be getting pretty worn too." In reality I don't think I had a good concept or proper clutch adjustment.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 07/13/16 at 06:24:30

With only 14,000 miles the clutch is only worn slightly UNLESS you're not very good launching and shifting. The wear indicator is cast into the case by the actuator arm.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:28:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch Spring Replacement

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.