Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Transporting on a carrier (Read 244 times)
JPSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ridgewood, NJ
Transporting on a carrier
07/11/16 at 11:10:35

Hey gang,

I was wondering if anyone has done this...

Purchased a hitch mount mc carrier.
Transported my bike about 75 miles for the first time yesterday.  All worked out fine, but one thing I'd like to change is that I had to strap the back of the bike down by the rear fender (before anyone freaks out, I plan to paint it in the winter anyway and it didn't get scratched anyway).  The tops of the shock towers do not work b/c the straps end up sliding down.

As you can see the swingarm is just too low for the ratchet straps that I have.  Anyone have any better ideas?  Or better yet a picture of the last time you trailered your bike?

IMG_1686.jpg
  IP Logged
JPSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ridgewood, NJ
Re: Transporting on a carrier
Reply #1 - 07/11/16 at 12:21:43

not sure why the picture didn't show up last time

IMG_1686_001.jpg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/11/16 at 13:31:52

WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 07/11/16 at 14:42:56

This isn't the best image of the full system in action, but I built this little jig that doubles as a workshop support as well as carrier. When I haul the bike, I place it in the jig just like this at an angle in the bed of my truck along with tie downs on the front and back tire going to the truck itself (so it doesn't slide out!!!) and it works great.  All I need is a little incline to back up to, unhook the tires from the truck (still strapped in the jig), slide the tail of the jig out until it touches land, and then unhook the bike from the jig and back it down. So far (knock on wood) I have loaded and unloaded it single-handedly every time.

IMG_20160419_173837_2.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #4 - 07/11/16 at 17:06:05

How about something like this
http://kyaracing.com.au/Images/Bike%20Pics/Road/IMG_6662.jpg
There's other versions available. some soft webbing ones. I havent used one bet they seem to work. Otherwise, try strapping it from the bottom of the rim instead.

IP Logged
Srotag

Have  Thumper  
  Will  Travel

Wherever it is warm and sunny
Reply #5 - 07/12/16 at 16:16:20

Too many straps...  I use a strap around front and rear rim/tire, two soft straps through the frame by the horn with about 1/2 compression on front fork tubes.  

Daytona to Yellowstone and back three times, no issues.  I did start out with a bunch like you have though.  See pic in signature.

Happy Trails  Cool  Cool

Edit:  just blew up my sig picture and that was an early shot with straps on the shock towers...no longer used, having suspension travel leads to straps possibly coming loose.  Also got rid of that ugly stock seat.  Grin

2005 S40 Ridin' on the back of our motorhome...Where we go, so goes Thumper Smiley Smiley
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 07/14/16 at 19:05:40

my better idea,75mi.,RIDE IT!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
JPSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ridgewood, NJ
Reply #7 - 07/14/16 at 21:22:47

Batman - that was just the test ride.  The carrier is going to be used for a 300 mile trip just to get to where I'll riding.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 07/15/16 at 05:23:31

JP,just messin' with you. Ican understand wanting to take a bike with you on an extended trip etc. but I've got a lot of Harley guys up here in snow country that load their bikes on trailers to go to bike week in Daytona and I have to tease them about their 'trailer queens" they had three nice ones in a covered trailer last trip,until one got loose! it wasn't pretty! at least you can keep an eye on yours.If I were you I'd just strap the rear rim to the carrier and let the shocks move,they only compress about 1/2-3/4 of an inch when you sit on the bike ,there not going to move much hitting bumps in the road. the excess strap can be cut off and the raw end melt with a bic lighter to keep from fraying.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
JPSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ridgewood, NJ
Reply #9 - 07/15/16 at 05:49:44

Funny you say that. That's the route I decided to go with.  I'll make the straps "custom" length so I don't have to deal with all the extra slack.  Reason I was asking everyone here was to see if there was an alternative to soft loops and I finally ordered the loops last night.

Batman - my buddies used to call me McGyver.  Quite funny.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 07/15/16 at 05:57:12

To trailer or ride to your destination.....that is most certainly a "personal" decision.

I trailer my bike the 5 hour trip to the rides in NC.  I don't enjoy the ride on the interstate, or sitting in traffic jams in Knoxville when it is 90 degrees, and my bike is not really set up for hauling the camping gear.  Most often I don't get to leave until after an evening meeting, and my drive begins at dark and continues until 2 AM.  I much prefer to haul my bike on the trailer, my camping gear in the car, and spend the interstate time in my car with the AC on and the CD player going.  Once I get to the riding area.....I will ride as many miles in a day as daylight will allow!

I have hauled bikes for thousands of miles, and I did learn that when you hit a really big bump, the bike suspension can compress and the strap hooks can come out of the eyelets/loops on the trailer.  Some tie down straps have snaps or keepers that prevent this....but mine do not, and not all hooks are the same:

I have tried to find a way to make my hooks with keepers that would prevent them from dropping out....and for a while I just used masking tape to close off the open end, and I had to re-tape it every time I use the hooks.  I think I have come up with a better fix.  I cut a piece of rubber tube and slid it over the hook:

Then after you have attached the hook to the eyelet on the trailer - you just slip the rubber tube through the ring on the hook where the strap attaches.

Since I have started using these modified hooks......I no longer have to worry about the strap coming unhooked.

« Last Edit: 07/15/16 at 14:26:57 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #11 - 07/15/16 at 06:32:24

Dave, don't you put a chock between the tyre and the bottom triple clamp? Like the things the dirt bike crowd use (or an oil container or block of wood). So you can pull the straps down dead tight and lock out the suspension without the straps flapping about or blowing the fork seals. It's how I do it, anyway. Only drama, you have to take the front fender off. No biggie. That hook mod is brilliant. I'm stealing that.
Last time I sent a bike on a transporter, the guy strapped it from the front axle. big, heavy duty straps, cramped down super tight. He said he'd never had a problem and the bike's suspension works during the journey.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 07/15/16 at 06:58:11

No, I don't put a chock in the front forks as my fender is not stock, and is a lot of work to remove, and there is no place to install any kind of chock to keep the forks from compressing a bit more.  I do pull the bike down pretty snug against the fork springs and the bike doesn't move during normal bumps - but every once in a while you hit a genorumous pothole and the bike can bounce down a bit.  When I hauled my ST1100 I made a small foam block that I put under the frame to help reduce the bouncing, and it did help.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #13 - 07/15/16 at 15:57:00

That's clever. Thinking outside the box.

IP Logged
DaveLKN
YaBB Newbies

Lake Norman NC
Reply #14 - 07/15/16 at 20:25:42

JPSavage wrote on 07/11/16 at 12:21:43:
not sure why the picture didn't show up last time

We got twins! Cheesy Cheesy

image_037_001.jpeg

1998 Savage LS650
1998 Marauder VZ800