Send Topic Print
Battery and charging. (Read 255 times)
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Re: Battery and charging.
Reply #15 - 07/13/16 at 07:53:27

If mine I would check the charge rate Huh when the engine is running. Put your meter on the battery with engine running at a fast idle. 3000 rpm or so. Should read around 14 or 14.5 volts if the alternator/rectifier is putting out the correct voltage and if it is then maybe the battery is ready for the grave.

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #16 - 07/13/16 at 07:59:53

I'm with Batman on this charging stuff. Why throw the motorcycle on a charger all the time? I see where charging would be desirable if one goes MONTHS without riding the bike.

I get out and ride at least once every week or two, often a couple times a week. Even in the winter, I usually get out at least once a month. I've never regularly put a bike on a charger.

Unlike cars, motorcycles have no residual battery drain (radio memory, alarms, etc) when they key is off. If your battery can't sit for at least a month or two without needing a charge, you need a new battery.

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #17 - 07/13/16 at 08:27:53

I have checked the voltage with the engine running at around 3000 it is 14.6 v. My problem is the different behavour between my two bike batteries.

If the Suzuki battery dies on a trip it is not the easiest bike to bump start.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #18 - 07/13/16 at 09:39:53

Norm it acts differently be cause it's only working half as hard ,you have a two cyl. engine ? Only one cyl. is under compression at a time, If it'a 750 the starter is  only working against 375 cc piston compression  at a time.(think about the manually kicking over a 450ccbike as compared to a 900cc Harley)   If you keep charging the battery and it's bad/tired/old,your just masking the problem and it will quit on you anyway !Have it load tested or replace it.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #19 - 07/13/16 at 10:08:10

The only reason I'm fiddle-farting with this is denial. The bike is only 13 months old. And as you all know the warranty is 12 months. :'(

Regarding the constant charging, I'm using a Battery Tender which I have used for years. My Triumph has only had two batteries in 11 years. The second is still apparently going strong. Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #20 - 07/13/16 at 15:49:11

If the charging system is working then the battery is shot or low on a cell or 2. Or even a loose connection at the battery. Buy a good quality AGM battery it's worth it less headaches.

You will have different characteristics because of 2 different battery types. The trickle chargers have a charge curve built in and it changes based on the type and condition of the battery.

No reason to beat yourself over a dead horse.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 07/13/16 at 16:35:48

Constant charging, probably low water, ditch it, get a glass matt. Before you screw up your charging system.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #22 - 07/13/16 at 16:46:05

Norm ,got some bad news ,your bike warranty never covered the battery anyway.If your other bike only had two batteries in 11yrs what makes you think you can't get 3/4 out of the one in your zuk? But then again if you keep over charging it (boiling the hell out of it )you might not.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 07/13/16 at 16:54:22

Batteries are fickle. Two batteries from the same manufacturer, one might last six years, the other, six months, or weeks,  might suck from day one.
Get a battery.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #24 - 07/13/16 at 18:04:58

If you get a new battery from a box store, have it tested before you leave the store. I got a new AGM before, got it home, thought I shorted out my system, only to eventually find it was a dud...after taking it back to the store for a swap.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #25 - 07/14/16 at 15:15:20

If and when you get a new battery. Before you install it in the bike put it on the charger overnight. That way you will know if the battery is good or not. If it won't charge to 100% then take it back and swap it.

Even new batteries have manufacturing issues. It's best to find out before you install it. Also best to get a intelligent battery charger. Cool

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 07/14/16 at 15:30:57

Before you install it in the bike put it on the charger overnight..

And IF it was fine Before?
Why cook a battery?
Use your volt meter, if it's 12.5, leave it alone.
I Never leave a battery on a charger and go away for more than an hour.

IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #27 - 07/14/16 at 15:37:07

JOG you need to throw away that old Allstate battery charger. The new gen chargers are idiot proof and intelligent. They won't cook a good battery or overcharge it with to much current/voltage. Technology is great!  Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #28 - 07/14/16 at 16:38:03

Not everyone has the modern stuff. My six amp charger is thirty five years old. Works great. Made in America, too.

IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #29 - 07/14/16 at 17:08:59

But it WILL FRY a battery if you leave it on to long. JUNK IT! Go to Walmart and get a smart charger. After that no guessing no troubles with fried batteries.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 08:39:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery and charging.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.