Send Topic Print
Rear brake squeal (Read 50 times)
Redryder652

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bergen County, New jersey
Rear brake squeal
07/11/16 at 11:07:39

So I have roughly 14xxx miles on my s 40 and recent developed a bad squeal in the rear at low speeds. I purchased a set of front and rear pads and shoes on eBay for 15 bucks. Caltric brakes iirc. Has anyone has luck with these? I don't want to damage my rear hub because of bad shoes, but I couldn't pass up the deal. Front brakes were done a while back.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Rear brake squeal
Reply #1 - 07/11/16 at 11:47:07

You Assume the shoes are worn. That's not a common thing. If it's squealing, probably loaded with dust. Might consider see grooves that push dust outboard. By decreasing shoe area you also make it not lock up so easy.
Taper the ends, run grooves across at an angle, ditch more than a fourth of the area if you have rear brake lock up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Redryder652

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bergen County, New jersey
Reply #2 - 07/11/16 at 12:09:05

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/11/16 at 11:47:07:
You Assume the shoes are worn. That's not a common thing. If it's squealing, probably loaded with dust. Might consider see grooves that push dust outboard. By decreasing shoe area you also make it not lock up so easy.
Taper the ends, run grooves across at an angle, ditch more than a fourth of the area if you have rear brake lock up.

I opened up the hub, cleaned the old shoes and measured the linings and they are approx. 3.4mm thick. The manual says ditch em at 1.5 mm, so I should be good to keep using the rear shoes, an I right? How long do shoes tend to last?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 07/11/16 at 12:51:32

The rear shoes last almost forever from wear.....however they can get contaminated with dirt and rust.  If you wash your bike and put it away wet, or if you get caught in the rain and put it away wet, or if it sits all winter under a cover or in a damp environment...the steel liner in the hub will rust.  Then when you next apply the brakes...the rust is going to be embedded into the brakes shoes.  (When you wash the bike and it is on the sidestand....the brake hub is leaning with the the open end tilted up and the closed end tilted down....it will hold water.  It is important you go for a ride and dry the everything out before putting the bike away).

So.....you can take the rear wheel/brake assembly apart.  Use some sandpaper/emery cloth to clean the brake drum and shoes....sand on the shoes until the glaze is gone.  Then clean them both with Brake Cleaner, and put them back together.  If you are really adventurous you can (should) take the shoes off, take the brake arm off and remove the brake cam from the hub, and clean and grease it.  If you want to use your new brake shoes....go ahead and put them on!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/11/16 at 12:54:06

Brake squeal generally comes from dirt or moisture.

Brake shoes usually have a taper on the leading edge and what that does is help it ride over the brake dust.
To help brake dust exit the hub, remove some of the brake shoe friction material at a 45° to the leading edge so the dust will be pushed to the open end of the hub.

Sometimes the squeal is from moisture.  Best to get rid of it is to heat up the pads by braking from a high speed once a day.  As noted, it's a touchy brake so easy does it.  Don't lock it up.  This will also help you develop a feel for the rear brake.

WWW   IP Logged
Drey
YaBB Newbies

Seattle, WA
Reply #5 - 07/17/16 at 19:08:18

Everyone else has more experience than I but I too had a squealing rear brake. Moisture is for sure an issue and I'll still get it when it's been in the rain. But I've had a significant reduction of squealing after discovering the rear bolt was a little loose. After tightening it I have no squealing in dry conditions. Worth a check and a super easy fix.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 07/17/16 at 19:38:24

Drop a toe on the pedal under acceleration. Clean and dry the surfaces. Don't do that for more than a few seconds.. Like drying car brakes after running through water.

You can run grooves through the shoes. Driving the cdust to the outside. Also making it harder lockup the brake.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:43:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear brake squeal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.