Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
Broken bolt in the head (Read 863 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Broken bolt in the head
Reply #45 - 07/17/16 at 17:54:50

Well,  it wasn't His fault. Nobody TOLD him anything.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #46 - 07/17/16 at 18:41:22

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/17/16 at 17:54:50:
Well,  it wasn't His fault. Nobody TOLD him anything.

Uhh..Huh...Okay Justin Roll Eyes

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #47 - 07/17/16 at 18:48:19

gizzo wrote on 07/17/16 at 17:19:47:
I'd be thinking about using the spark erosion service if it were mine. Doesn't look like the melted bit is too bad and not in a critical area so maybe it'll be ok. You sure made a lot of extra work for yourself.

Sounds like a pretty good idea.

I might do some price checking on a used head as well as these services. If I keep running into crazy high prices for a used head, it may be the wisest thing for me to have this professionally done. It makes sense that I should reserve my DIY-ness for things that are not so expensive.

Can't say I've made up my mind yet though. I don't want to take too long. I'll probably end up riding Dad's bike for a while, but I'd like to get mine in top shape sometime before the dawn of the next century.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #48 - 07/17/16 at 19:30:59

If I keep running into crazy high prices for a used head, it may be the wisest thing for me to have this professionally done.

Well, that's new.

Ohh, THAT'S new! Wisdom involved..
Taking advice from a couple of old guys? Maybe that's wisdom...

It makes sense that I should reserve my DIY-ness for things that are not so expensive.

Or, maybe approach the DIY from a Wise position.

You were told by me and Dave that a handheld drill would Not get it. That you HAVE a drill press and went with a handheld drill in an awkward position after being TOLD that Nobody could win that, and THEN tried to take comfort from the fact that nobody else could have won that,,

Dude,  BE CHEAP,, that's Fine! We All want to save money, but when you Ask for advice and Then ignore it and get in big trouble and THEN ask for advice to solve the problem YOU created?? Seriously? And No, I don't CARE about who was running the drill..
If I had  asked for help and done what you did I would be too embarrassed to ask for more help after ignoring the advice you got.
Especially after you Proved us correct.

Offensive? Rude? Inconsiderate?

Ask for help.
Ask someone to think through your problem.
Ask them to explain how to handle the problem.

Ignore the advice.
Watch the problem explode in your face.
Ask for help solving the problem YOU created.

Is that

Offensive? Rude? Inconsiderate?

No, I'm NOT the jerk.
I'm tired of you and your unwillingness to listen.
Goodluck..
If someone is willing to waste their time trying to help you, well, they are not paying attention.
I'm done with you.
You're gonna hafta DEMONSTRATE a willingness to listen before I waste time typing again.
New , innocent people are suffering from my lack of patience because of just how frustrating you have been.

I hope you grow up instead of continue to shrug and pretend you just are what you are and there is nothing you can do about it to be someone who is not so frustrating.. /

Dude, you HAVE a drill press, and were TOLD that without, at Least A drill press it was Impossible,, I'm totally pissed,,
Yeah,, your Dad decided,, uh huhh.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #49 - 07/17/16 at 20:01:37

Well, Justin, I went through the trouble of posting that video because you sorta asked for it. I'm guessing the last straw was when I said I had a drill press stowed away somewhere. Huh But, don't worry about me. I certainly don't want your being annoyed with me to end up hurting other people. You don't have to waste your energy on this thread any more if you don't feel like it. If anybody else feels like talking about it, they're welcome. If not, that's fine. We'll figure something out.

Cheapy out.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #50 - 07/17/16 at 20:44:21

dude !  Just drill a new hole in the aluminum head and use the steel stud in the good hole as a guide on the good side and wing it on the broken side.    Long as you do both holes the Header clamp will still be just fine .   Don't forget to leave room for tapping the threads.   This is not difficult.

you could even do the good side first , then mount the header keeper on the new stud so you can mark (center punch) the broken side (to make sure you get exactly the right spot for the second hole.   Ain't nothing hard about it.  Wink

If you insist on getting that broken easy-out removed --- good luck getting you "Supper Drill Bit" lined up on that one !  You'll be jigged up on a milling machine before you do.  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #51 - 07/17/16 at 21:25:51

I get the feeling that drilling a new hole might pivot the header pipe out of alignment with the exhaust port or something. I'll take a look at it tomorrow. I think it's ideal if I can clean out the old hole and install a thread insert if needed, but I need to get the angle right for the drill. I think you may have brought up a great idea. Use the keeper as a stencil and stick the drill bit through it. It might not be a miracle cure but maybe it will help. The angle of that broken bolt is confusing, if you know what I'm talking about. installing the bracket with the other bolt may help .  I may still have to pull the head, though.

Oh, wait... So you think I should drill two new holes and stud them both? Sounds a little more reasonable. Still have my doubts. I'll take a look at it tomorrow anyway.

Thanks for your help.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #52 - 07/18/16 at 04:39:09

There is no good way to relocate and re-drill/tap the holes.  As the photo below shows....the holes are located in areas where the head has been designed to accept the studs....the other areas don't provide room for the holes or threads.

It is time that you realize you are in over your head.  You don't have the proper tools or experience to fix this broken bolt/stud, or to install a threaded insert if needed (There is very little room to drill the hole oversize and install an insert).  Your Craftsman drill press is not a milling machine, and you won't be able to keep the drill centered in the bolt.....and you most certainly won't be able to drill out a broken off EZ out.

You need to remove the engine from the frame, remove the head, and send it to a professional (or buy a used head).

Head.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #53 - 07/18/16 at 08:25:05

Thanks for the picture. You may have saved me a wasted trip outside my door.  Cheesy

Now I know there's no relocating the holes. that simplifies things.

My parents suggest that they've done things in their years that they weren't supposed to be able to do. Dad still seems to think we can drill it out.

Actually, it's worse, the drill press is not even Craftsman, I think it's a Black Bull press from Tractor Supply Company.

I understand you believe I cannot do it. I will keep that in mind and may hire professional help.

Of course, sometimes telling me I can't do something gives me the itch to be a good sport and prove everyone wrong. Wink

Thanks Dave for your help and clarification of your opinion. I will take your advice into consideration.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #54 - 07/18/16 at 14:06:50

So you have a drill pressSmiley which means you can drill a straight hole in metal and you can make a accurate drill guide template.  Get a 3/8 inch or thicker piece of steel and drill two holes in it, one the size of the stud, the other the size of what ever super drill bit you are going to go after that busted stud with. Center the holes on the stud holes in the head. Take the good threaded hole and mount the plate on it as tight as you dare with the smaller hole centered over the busted stud. The idea is to make a template that bolts to the exhaust port which will keep the drill bit from wandering as you try drilling the busted stud out. Use lots of oil while drilling and keep the bit sharp.
 You will need to get that easyout removed first which can be a problem. Getting on it with a hardened punch or real small cold chistle and chipping at it has worked for me but is a real ball buster. A reverse threaded bit might be the best bet, I would buy a bunch cause you will break some bits no matter what happens. If you can get through the easyout it should work.
  Try starting with a smaller pilot hole and going up bigger increasing the smaller hole in the template as you go to keep the drill bit straight.
 Don't know what else to try except for taking it to a machine shop.
Luck with it

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #55 - 07/18/16 at 14:45:11

ted stud. The idea is to make a template that bolts to the exhaust port which will keep the drill bit from wandering as you try drilling the busted stud out. Use lots of oil while drilling and keep the bit sharp.

Filed in the
Never Forget
drawer.. Flippin Gene Yuss..

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #56 - 07/18/16 at 19:55:57

The easy out is driven in there. Tried to punch on it already. Could try some more. Probably gonna need a carbide drill bit. Turns out that I asked Dad about buying a #0 torch tip. I asked what he had on it. He told me a #6. Said it was a big tip. And he has the nerve to try something delicate with that?  Roll Eyes Do you use a 20 pound sledgehammer to repair a wristwatch? Is it any wonder it didn't work?

You think drilling a plate will work better than using the keeper? Makes sense that it might keep the bit tighter in line.

Reverse-threaded drill bits???  HuhAre those more or less likely to break when pieces of the easy out catches on them? Can you get them in carbide? Huh

If I need professional help, then I need it, but I'm liable to give it one more try or two before I give up.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #57 - 07/18/16 at 20:49:20

Dave , that s a good picture ! ... desperate time call for desperate measures ... it was just an idea.  Huh

If it was mine , I believe I'd be pulling the head off.  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #58 - 07/18/16 at 20:59:37

1st thing to do is get the easy out... out.
pay attention to that youtube that was posted... go get some pcb carbide drills

WWW   IP Logged
hotprops

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

fort myers fl
Reply #59 - 07/18/16 at 21:33:58

how much of said bolt is still exposed,enough to weld on a proper size nut and prey?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:29:16

General CategoryThe Cafe › Broken bolt in the head

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.