Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Broken bolt in the head (Read 863 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Broken bolt in the head
Reply #15 - 07/11/16 at 19:58:34

Just to let ya'll know :  Roll Eyes

The studs that hold the cylinder and head --- They screw out of the crankcase easily if ya put a double nut on the end of them.  Wink   but do be careful not to break one of them off in the crankcase !  Grin Grin Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #16 - 07/11/16 at 21:43:13

Too late:

Broke an easy out in the bolt drove the piece farther in, chipped away at what was left of the outer portion of the bolt. Should have drilled a bigger hole, but it probably would have broke anyway. Then Dad tried to torch it. Discouraged, I told him that I ought to take it to a machine shop but that I'd go ahead and be a fool and let him destroy it for me. Well, obviously, it didn't work. Melted some of the head. Should still be salvageable, though. Emotionally exhausted, I just had enough left in me to drill a little on it. I feel almost like the torch made the steel even harder. I gave up.  Sad

Since I got the carb jets today, I tried to work on Dad's Shadow and get it ready to ride as that'll probably be the only thing left for me. Got everything back together but couldn't find the rubber gas tank bushings, The gas tank will drive you crazy as it has no fuel shutoff, there are two fuel lines, and gas is wholesale dumped all over the ground.Dad was there to help me. Then it kept leaking. Then we gave up when we found that the fuel line tore. Above that, the gas can spout leaked so badly it was useless. Had to take it off and pour freehand.

I failed on my bike, and so I thought I would make a last ditch effort to redeem myself with the other one. I failed to succeed then too. I was past mild frustration. I was left demoralized.

Ever get the feeling that any skill or occupation you try to learn discourages you, and just as soon as you get enough courage to try again; just as soon as you start to make a little progress, It kicks you in the balls, bashes your head against the ground, kicks dirt in your eyes, spits on you, gives you the finger, says f you, and walks off?

It's like you get so stubbornly determined to succeed at a task that you get stupid and punch a brick wall with all your might with the faith that you'll somehow break the wall. What else am I supposed to do, surrender to the brick wall, or die trying to break it?

I tried to be independent and fix something myself. I didn't like to hire it done. I'm too cheap, in a way. I want to get good at it and do it myself and save money. Hiring people to do stuff these days costs way too much money. It's self-esteem too. Some people can screw up and lose money and it doesn't bother them. I'm different. It tends to affect my self worth. If I spend too much on this bike and can't make it worth more, then it's like my labor is worthless, and that doesn't reflect good on how much I'm worth. Remember, I work minimum wage.

And as far as the dummy that broke it off... It was me. What else was I supposed to do? I guess I could have just kept running it, but then I could never have pulled any service on anything on the right side, if you know what I mean. Maybe I should have run it until the cam adjuster fell off and the engine broke or the clutch stopped gripping, and just thrown away the whole bike.

It was a bit consoling to read that most of these threads suggest that no common man could succeed at the job anyway. Maybe I'm not a worthless POS after all.  

The Savage is down until I can either get a replacement head or get someone to repair what's left of the one I have.

Having read that I'm going to have to pull the motor, I'm kind of laughing right now. A cherry on top of this catastrophe ice cream. It's almost like a consolation. I'm confused. With what I've been through, pulling the motor seems less hurtful to me than ruining the head. I'm not sure what to think or say right now. I have to get up early in the morning to take my Dad to the Hospital for heart surgery... yeah... well, at least a heart cath, but who knows what they're liable to do while they're in there.

Good night.

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #17 - 07/11/16 at 22:14:59

Oh cheer up , you didn't blow up the garage !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #18 - 07/11/16 at 22:26:17

It IS a throw away bike. The factory designed it to go roughly 25k miles before the cam goes flat, the cam tower castings erode, or the timing tensioner lets go and grenades the engine.

Thank the old forum for any sensor bypasses and the correct way to tension the drive belt. Thank the wrenches on this forum for every other upgrade.

My 2003 is showing definite signs of imminent catastrophic failure. The other day it took 2.397 gallons to refill the tank, with maybe 70 miles ridden. Clutch cable is shot. Brake cable is shot. Caliper is junk, as are the rear shoes. Speedometer and exhaust both howl, the exhaust sounds like a Ford Power Stroke V8 with straight pipes and an oversized turbo. Neither tire holds more than 20psi for 24 hours. Valves sound like a skeleton orgy on a tin roof.

My hatred of all things OHC-OHV-electronic ignition has grown exponentially. I am actively hunting a 61-80 cubic inch flathead V-twin, and the name on the gas tank is irrelevant.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #19 - 07/11/16 at 23:46:59

Engineer, are those EDM/MDM things similar to a spark eroder?.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #20 - 07/12/16 at 01:37:22

I feel your pain. I've screwed a few things up myself. No sympathy though. You have been given some good advice on this problem, some of which you took and other that you ignored. Heat before snapping it probably might have worked. Then again you might have melted the  head anyway. Or, you could have pulled the head off and taken it to a workshop. But no. You'll save money by ruining the head then pulling it off and taking it to a workshop anyway. Sometimes even the experts call in outside help. Good on you for wanting to do it yourself but sometimes, you just need help. Stop making things harder for yourself. Take a break and calm down before the shadow makes yourlife hell, too. Maybe , when you visit the machine shop with your  head, ask if they'll swap some grunt work ( sweeping, part washing ) for a labour discount. We used to let some crew do that back in the day. You might even learn something.
Good luck  champ.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #21 - 07/12/16 at 08:22:22

WD

The LS650 ain't a throw away .    I know a feller who has over 130,000 miles on one .  They do require some petting once in a while , kinda like keeping Horses ... you have to "care and understand them" .  Grin

My first one was idled too low before I got it and the cam/rocker arms always rattled .   The one I've got now has 26,000 miles on it and still sounds tight.
I made a 800 mile run in April 90% above 70mph and didn't use any oil at all.
I put a "not so tight" spring in the cam chain tension-er (@8,000 miles) and have 26,000 miles on the original cam chain now.
I believe your right about Over Head Cam --- I've kinda took-a-liking to push rod engines too .  Wink  and two valves per cylinder also !  Smiley

That reminds me :
Lancer you got any information on those "Super Chains" to pass on to us ?  Huh
  or
Should that be a totally new thread ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #22 - 07/12/16 at 09:51:14

No word yet but keep in mind this is a 2 month process, minimum.

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 07/12/16 at 12:08:44

Jcstokes, yes, EDM and spark eroder are the same thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_discharge_machining

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #24 - 07/13/16 at 06:36:44

That reminds me :
  or

There is a thread devoted to the cam chains.
Now, what did I do with it ? ?   Huh

OK, I found it !

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1455475035

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #25 - 07/13/16 at 13:10:55

Once it's out I wish you would post a picture.
BEFORE you haul it off and spend money.
If you'll listen I might save you some money.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #26 - 07/13/16 at 17:25:26

MMRanch wrote on 07/12/16 at 08:22:22:
WD

The LS650 ain't a throw away .    I know a feller who has over 130,000 miles on one .  They do require some petting once in a while , kinda like keeping Horses ... you have to "care and understand them" .  Grin

My first one was idled too low before I got it and the cam/rocker arms always rattled .   The one I've got now has 26,000 miles on it and still sounds tight.
I made a 800 mile run in April 90% above 70mph and didn't use any oil at all.
I put a "not so tight" spring in the cam chain tension-er (@8,000 miles) and have 26,000 miles on the original cam chain now.
I believe your right about Over Head Cam --- I've kinda took-a-liking to push rod engines too .  Wink  and two valves per cylinder also !  Smiley

That reminds me :
  or

My 2003 is pushing 41k actual, a bit over 21k showing on the odometer that worked wrong or not at all for the better part of 14-16 months. Timing chain is shot. No Versy adjuster take up room left. Bike is using 16-20 ounces of oil in 150 miles.

Time is coming for it and every fuel injected and/or electronic ignition vehicle on the farm to form the new dam core needed to flood the back acreage.

Paid a mobile mechanic to put a new distributor in my daily driver K1500 that I needed for flagging on the 10th. Truck runs worse than ever. Bringing  a 1969 truck back online to replace 3 that have electronic ignitions.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #27 - 07/13/16 at 19:22:34

I recently brought my dad's pickup back to the farm to rebuild, literally everything.  It is a '75 Chevy C20 with a big steel flat bed which replaced the standard bed ... well, a long time ago.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #28 - 07/13/16 at 19:22:57

Just finished replacing the fuel pump in my '03 Tahoe TWICE, the idiots who designed it put the pump in the tank  Angry. Starting to think everything made nowadays is throwaway and I'm not even going to talk about how much some of the other stuff needed on the Tahoe cost to get it back on the road.
 don't feel bad about busting that bolt, I pulled on a 1/4 inch line while dropping the fuel tank and snapped off a fitting on a canister, that was a quick "C" note I didn't  expect which was just the beginning.
 If you don't try you won't learn, even mistakes give knowledge, busted knuckles, frustration and wondering WTF !!!!  Wink

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #29 - 07/13/16 at 20:15:09

What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger & smarter. One time I had a rusted bolt in a tstat housing was a Cat engine in a beautiful Peterbilt, told myself I got this,started heating it with a torch and the housing just melted into a hot blob of sh@t, boy did I look stupid. But I know now not to do that again. I used to tell my apprentices don't try to remember everything in the manual it will always be there just remember the things you f___ked up & thing you had to figure out on your own and you'll be fine. They all turned out to be great wrenches.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:32:31

General CategoryThe Cafe › Broken bolt in the head

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.