New Helmet (Read 124 times)
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
New Helmet
07/07/16 at 11:48:07

I figured it was about time.  I've had the old one since 1982. You can no longer buy any parts for it and the shield has finally gotten scratched up enough to be hard to see especially at night. The padding is also beginning to give up on me.

So, new head, here I come. I got it in hi-vis yellow to maybe, hopefully make me a little more visible to all those cagers on their phones, texting, doing makeup, and otherwise generally not paying attention.

I have to say helmet tech has come a long way.  This is much more comfortable. There are vents, something unheard of in the day I bought the last one. Flip down sun shield. It's modular so it's much friendlier to glasses.  The liner is removeable for cleaning. And, it weighs less than the old one.  I'm sure it's got to be much safer than the old one too with 30 years of tech and standards improvements. Smiley

VegaStealthVertice_HiViz_Yellow-Modular-Helmet.jpg

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: New Helmet
Reply #1 - 07/07/16 at 12:48:29

Cool helmet!  With a little enhancement you can be Serowbot's twin  Shocked

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #2 - 07/07/16 at 19:26:23

Looks similar to mine. I have a wine colored HJC CSR2.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #3 - 07/08/16 at 14:42:58

I wear a helmet but I've never tried a full facer before. they look a little claustrophobic to me.

Part of it is my deafness. I like a half helmet so I can hear a little bit of something. Been wearing hearing aids since 35 yrs. old!

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 07/08/16 at 15:35:32

If I hadn't been wearing full face protection I would either be dead or horribly disfigured. Instead, I got two stitches in my upper lip.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 07/08/16 at 19:14:18

I'm a little claustrophobic and I thought I'd hate a FF helmet. It doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I enjoy NOT being hit in the face by birds and bats at night! You ought to see the mess left by the no-see-ums on my helmet. I don't want that in my face!  Wink

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #6 - 07/08/16 at 19:37:59

After wearing this helmet a few times now, It's hot.  The vents don't seem to do very much actual "venting". I've been riding with the face shield open just a crack to allow some air in.  It feels very hard to breathe in it if you aren't moving and don't have the shield cracked.  My old one, which was a full face never felt like that.

It is comfortable but just a little tight.  Customer service tells me that's the way I want it.  After the foam breaks in in a couple months, it will be perfect.

I really like the factory quick release mechanism and the sun shield is great. No more having to carry clip-on sun shades.

It is way quieter inside than my old one.  Wind and engine noise are both way below the levels in the other helmet.  It doesn't buffet in the wind anywhere near as bad as the old one either.

I haven't ridden in the rain with it yet.  One of the reviews said the vents vent rain much better than they do air.

All-in-all, I'd have to say it's a very nice helmet for $130. The build quality seems very good, the coloring is even and good all over, the fit is good, it's not too heavy, the noise levels are quite acceptable, it's bluetooth ready too.

I'm with JOG on the safety part. Any helmet is better than none. But, full faced will protect your lower face and jaw much better.  I've seen a few full faced helmets all tore up on the lower ring around the front from sliding.  I can't begin to imagine the damage that would have been done had there only been a face shield there that broke away rather quickly. Years ago a friend of mine showed me what was left of her helmet after she and her brother were rear-ended.  It split from front to back all the way right over the top.  The only thing still holding it together was the lower piece in the front. She got out with some big-time bruising and some scratches but ok otherwise.  It's hard to imagine the amount of force required to split a helmet like that.  I sure wouldn't want my head subjected to it.

Gus,

Once you get it on, the field of vision is so large and with the optically correct shield, you really don't notice the helmet looking around at the road or traffic or anything.  You do feel the foam all around your head. It does get hotter than a half helmet. This one is quite good at killing off noise.  With a hearing problem, I'd guess you really wouldn't hear much of anything inside it.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Brassneck
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Humboldt
Reply #7 - 07/19/16 at 13:20:35

Cool looking helmet although it is a little odd that a "Stealth" helmet comes in hi-viz.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #8 - 07/19/16 at 21:32:34

Yeah.  Especially with the hi-viz, stealth might be somewhat of a misnomer.

My son calls it the glow in the dark helmet.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 07/19/16 at 22:32:01

It's high-visablility stealth...

Like wearing camo to Wallmart... Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 07/20/16 at 04:13:21

Full Face helmets do have to be pretty snug.  For lowers speeds they can fit a bit looser - but if you don't have a windshield and get up to 70 mph on the interstate....the helmet can push pretty hard on your cheek pads from the wind pressure.  My EXO 500 helmet has a small air pump and I can fill up the cheek pads for a tighter fit, and I have to do that when I get on the interstate (my helmet does make a lot of wind noise from the vents - so I wear ear plugs unless it is just a local errand ride).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 07/20/16 at 04:16:25

Serowbot wrote on 07/19/16 at 22:32:01:
It's high-visablility stealth...

Like wearing camo to Wallmart... Grin

I always chuckle a bit when I see a hitch hiker wearing camo..... Wink
(Wonder if the government would fund a study to see if you get more rides when you don't blend in with the roadside foliage?)

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #12 - 07/20/16 at 04:39:03

They probably would but hitchhiking is not politically correct.  You need to use a ride sharing app these days.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #13 - 07/20/16 at 04:45:11

This helmet is much quieter inside than my last helmet was. The roar of the wind that I really should have been wearing ear plugs is now just conversation level noise.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:31:46

General CategoryThe Cafe › New Helmet

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.