Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Carburettor pilot jet size s40 Boulvard (Read 273 times)
HefyJefy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carburettor pilot jet size s40 Boulvard
07/06/16 at 15:53:48

The bike is new (2015) done around 3,000 miles.  From the get go it backfired when closing the throttle and when switching off.  Did the idle mixture mod and the backfiring only occurs occasionally.  The bike goes well, good acceleration and smooth at high throttle openings.  The problem is at low throttle settings (30 - 40 mph) it seems to "hunt" and does not run smoothly.  I have checked the vacuum petcock and it seems OK.  We are pretty much at sea level here so I am guessing a larger pilot jet might be in order.  Any advice on where to get jets and by how much to change the size?
Geoff    

IP Logged
striknein

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Carburettor pilot jet size s40 Boulvard
Reply #1 - 07/06/16 at 16:19:13

HefyJefy wrote on 07/06/16 at 15:53:48:
The bike is new (2015) done around 3,000 miles.  From the get go it backfired when closing the throttle and when switching off.  Did the idle mixture mod and the backfiring only occurs occasionally.  The bike goes well, good acceleration and smooth at high throttle openings.  The problem is at low throttle settings (30 - 40 mph) it seems to "hunt" and does not run smoothly.  I have checked the vacuum petcock and it seems OK.  We are pretty much at sea level here so I am guessing a larger pilot jet might be in order.  Any advice on where to get jets and by how much to change the size?
Geoff    

Any performance mods done to the bike? If stock, I'd probably start with a #50.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 07/06/16 at 16:48:47

As above a 47.5 is stock a 50 is the next step up . If this doesn't seem to help and the motor 's still "hunting" it is running lean and you need to do the needle jet spacer mod. seeing your at sea level I'd replace the stock spacer with 3 #4machine washers (.75 mm ,the stock being 1mm)this should make your mixture richer and solve the problem .You should adjust your air screw after any of these mods.If it still hunts take out one more washer moving to .50mm .Next the main jet (stock145) to 147.5 if needed.

« Last Edit: 07/07/16 at 09:00:15 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 07/06/16 at 17:02:16

I can't remember the stock jet sizes (50/145?) I'm a little above sea level and didn't up size my jets by much. She runs beautifully!

See my signature.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 07/07/16 at 05:34:49

HefyJefy wrote on 07/06/16 at 15:53:48:
The problem is at low throttle settings (30 - 40 mph) it seems to "hunt" and does not run smoothly.  We are pretty much at sea level here so I am guessing a larger pilot jet might be in order.  Any advice on where to get jets and by how much to change the size?
Geoff    

That is outside of the range that is controlled by the pilot jet.  As batman said.....you need to raise the slide needle slightly to get more fuel in the mixture as the slide is opening.  Remove the white spacer at the top of the slide needle, and replace it with 3 washers that are #4 machine screw size.  If there is still a hesitation....remove 1 more washer and go with 2 on the top of the needle.

I would start with a #50 pilot and # 150 main....and the washer mod.  Those changes should get you in the ballpark and make the bike run better.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
HefyJefy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/07/16 at 07:46:59

Thanks guys I will try these ideas and let you know. Couple of things I forgot to mention:
1. Yes the bike is stock.
2. We are in California and I note that the CA carbureter has different part number. Could this be a factor?
Thanks again.
Geoff

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 07/07/16 at 09:11:34

YES! THE JETS ARE MUCH SMALLER DUE TO CAILF. EMISSIONS!I'd check what you have and move up from there(your main may only be a 125 as I recall)(the numbers are stamped on the base of the jet) but moving the jet needle with three/two washers is standard to all carbs.(see technical section fuel&exhaust stock carbs&jetting,casb specs) your jets are 47.5 pilot 125 main.Dave's 50/150 is right on your bike will run completely different (very well)

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 07/07/16 at 09:47:10

HefyJefy wrote on 07/07/16 at 07:46:59:
Thanks guys I will try these ideas and let you know. Couple of things I forgot to mention:
1. Yes the bike is stock.
2. We are in California and I note that the CA carbureter has different part number. Could this be a factor?
Thanks again.
Geoff

Where's about?  I'm in Duarte, east of LA.
Tell us what your stock jets are, I never believed they were actually 125.
My '96 was 145, going up to 150 actually improved mpg.
The pilot jet has always been right for me.
The "hunt" is due to lean mixture in that range of throttle.
After you check your main jet size, then a judicial trim of the white spacer should cure that.

WWW   IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #8 - 07/07/16 at 19:35:54

I hope 125 is wrong! I can't see the engine even running that lean.

Dave, when you tuned your bike with an A/F meter, did you happen to notice the AFR with stock jets? I'm just curious how lean Suzuki considered "just right".
/off topic

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 07/08/16 at 04:00:44

Kris01 wrote on 07/07/16 at 19:35:54:
I hope 125 is wrong! I can't see the engine even running that lean.

Dave, when you tuned your bike with an A/F meter, did you happen to notice the AFR with stock jets? I'm just curious how lean Suzuki considered "just right".
/off topic

My A/F meter is a "narrow band" meter.  It uses a 2 wire Oxygen sensor, and it was designed for use in a fuel injection system to adjust the mixture.  It is supposed to be looking for a 14.7/1 ratio.....and it can only go a few points above or below that ratio.  It can only be used for gasoline.  It is a great tool for jetting - but it does not read out any ratios or percentages or have any numbers.....you can only tell rich/correct/lean.

IP Logged
HefyJefy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/08/16 at 11:20:09

OK well...
I just got both the Pilot and Main Jet out, the pilot is 52.5 and the Main is 145. Not what I was expecting, however I think a 150 main might be a good move.
In case anyone is following this the bike was a new California model last year, stock.  It had the initial service (done by the dealer) and I did the 3,000 mile.
The problem has I think, been around from the start but the bike belongs to my wife so I only just got my sticky fingers on it.
I will report back once I have changed the main.
Geoff

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 07/08/16 at 11:35:46

The main jet is not going to have much affect on the 30-40 mph lean surge.  You are really going to have to work on the slide needle to correct that issue.  Replace the white spacer with the washers as batman, Verslagen and I have all suggested in this thread.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 07/08/16 at 12:01:58

Dave wrote on 07/08/16 at 11:35:46:
The main jet is not going to have much affect on the 30-40 mph lean surge.  You are really going to have to work on the slide needle to correct that issue.  Replace the white spacer with the washers as batman, Verslagen and I have all suggested in this thread.

Main jet feeds the needle jet, so increasing it increases the whole range.

vm_cutaway.jpg
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 07/08/16 at 12:11:08

verslagen1 wrote on 07/08/16 at 12:01:58:
Dave wrote on 07/08/16 at 11:35:46:

Main jet feeds the needle jet, so increasing it increases the whole range.

My hunch is still the need to raise the slide needle.  Going from a #145 to a #150 will have almost no effect on the 30-40 mph throttle range.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 07/08/16 at 14:06:39

I'm with dave! be careful ! All the screws on and in the carb are jis (Japanese industrial standard) a Phillips head screwdriver wont fit deep into the slots unless the point is blunted,and may strip them! it's best to pick up some jis anyway.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:25:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carburettor pilot jet size s40 Boulvard

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.