Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Re-jetting after Harley Muffler install (Read 504 times)
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Re-jetting after Harley Muffler install
Reply #15 - 07/07/16 at 09:38:30

Before you panic you can replace the missing baffle .Buy a 1 1/4 inch freeze plug (any auto parts store) and drive it halfway down the the muffler this returns it to stock ,making it easy to tune the carb.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
hawk41

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gilbert, AZ
Reply #16 - 07/07/16 at 09:53:58

Thanks for the tip! Before I do any modifications to the muffler I have sent a message to the party that I purchased it from asking for his advice on re-jetting as he has sold many of these mufflers here on this forum.   Undecided

Older than dirt but still kickin' up dust!
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #17 - 07/07/16 at 19:38:38

zipidachimp wrote on 07/06/16 at 23:02:32:
At sea level, Dyna muff, white spacer 1/2 thickness, pilot 55, main 155, my bike has become a rocket, 95% no backfires! Woohoo! Cool

You may be running rich. See my signature. I'm about 300-350' ASL.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #18 - 07/07/16 at 20:34:12

Using 2/3 washers on the needle lifts it making it run richer. If you can insert a broom handle more than a couple of feet up your muffler you have no baffle.

IP Logged
hawk41

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gilbert, AZ
Reply #19 - 07/08/16 at 09:21:05

Well! It turns out that my muffler is a "Screaming Eagle" w/no baffle, just a straight thru muffler. Question? How can it be called a "muffler" if it has no baffle and does not "muffle"? Just askin'! So! Should I start a new "thread" asking if anyone knows how to jet for a "Screaming Eagle" muffler?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 07/08/16 at 09:28:59

hawk41 wrote on 07/08/16 at 09:21:05:
Well! It turns out that my muffler is a "Screaming Eagle" w/no baffle, just a straight thru muffler. Question? How can it be called a "muffler" if it has no baffle and does not "muffle"? Just askin'! So! Should I start a new "thread" asking if anyone knows how to jet for a "Screaming Eagle" muffler?

Although you may be able to get your jetting for the bike to run OK with a straight through pipe....there is no possible way to change jetting to keep a pipe like that from backfiring.

Why do you think it is called a "Screaming Eagle"?
If there isn't anything inside to muffle....it is not a muffler!  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
hawk41

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gilbert, AZ
Reply #21 - 07/08/16 at 09:35:07

Since this so called "muffler" was not designed with a baffle, is there a way to add some type of baffle to the muffler that will allow the carb. to be tuned to minimize the backfire?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 07/08/16 at 09:37:10

Get a Dyna muffler and get on with riding. The Dyna looks good, sounds good, small bump in power over stock and easy to jet. And they are cheap and easy to get. Lots of New Harleys get ridden straight to a shop to be customized. Twenty bucks is a common price. Just avoid the catalytic converters and the crossover tubes.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 07/08/16 at 09:41:06

hawk41 wrote on 07/08/16 at 09:35:07:
Since this so called "muffler" was not designed with a baffle, is there a way to add some type of baffle to the muffler that will allow the carb. to be tuned to minimize the backfire?

Maybe......I don't know what this muffler looks like inside (other than I expect it might be a hollow tube).

IP Logged
hawk41

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gilbert, AZ
Reply #24 - 07/08/16 at 09:56:40

Yes! Straight thru and a broom handle goes all the way thru with no problem. One member suggested a 1 1/4 inch freeze plug inserted  to about half way but my concern would be that the original design does not have anywhere for the exhaust gas to go if the pipe is blocked. It's beginning to look like a poor purchase decision. Maybe my best bet would be to put it on Craigs List to salvage some of the purchase price and hunt down a reasonable priced Dyno.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 07/08/16 at 10:04:50

hawk41 wrote on 07/08/16 at 09:56:40:
One member suggested a 1 1/4 inch freeze plug inserted  to about half way but my concern would be that the original design does not have anywhere for the exhaust gas to go if the pipe is blocked.

That suggestion was made when you were telling us that you had a Harley DYNA muffler.....and it does not apply to your Screaming Eagle.  Some folks knock out the little plug in the DYNA to make is straight through, and if they do that you can replace it with a freeze plug.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #26 - 07/08/16 at 12:07:31

Dude, do you Have twenty bucks? Get a Real Dyna muffler and ride. Sell that thing you got when it is handy.. Way more drama than necessary. Solve the problem, it's Easy.. then see about recouping the losses.

Craig's list is Great, except for when it Isn't..
Call around, see if anyone in town has a Dyna, try to Not get breathless if they say they do. Ask if it's a New take off. Don't tell anyone you want it for a rice burner. You scraped one up,don't Have to have one, but it would be good..
Some Harley places are crappy about the Japanese bikes.
Palpable Need can be expensive.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
hawk41

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gilbert, AZ
Reply #27 - 07/08/16 at 13:02:15

Nothing on Craigs List at this time. The local Phoenix bike salvage yard doesn't do Harley's. Called the local Harley shops but they say they do not sell the old muffler take-offs. PayPal and I are in an ongoing pis*ing match so eBay is out (they are pretty expensive anyway). Probably my best bet is to put my stock muffler back on so I can ride while I try to find a Dyna. Want to thank all you forum member who have taken your time to try and help me with this problem. Terry  Cool

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #28 - 07/08/16 at 13:25:26

If the Harley guys don't sell them ,what do they do eat them ?maybe you could do some dumpster diving! Wink Smiley

IP Logged
hawk41

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gilbert, AZ
Reply #29 - 07/08/16 at 13:28:57

I don't know! Some of them look like they could chew one up and spit it out like chewin' tabacco.   Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:23:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Re-jetting after Harley Muffler install

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.