Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Going back to stock muffler - need advice (Read 170 times)
karl
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Going back to stock muffler - need advice
07/05/16 at 19:06:29

Hi all - new to the forum, I'm here on behalf of my lovely wife who just scored a pretty yellow 1996 Savage with about 3000 miles on it!  Previous owner fitted it with a ridiculously loud (in our opinion) aftermarket muffler, and we'd like to swap it out for a stock one.  So, a couple of questions:
1)  Are all model year mufflers for this model interchangeable, or is there only a certain range of years that will fit?
2)  Does anyone have one in good shape they'd like to get rid of or trade for the one we have?  I'll double check later for sure, but I think it's a Jardine.
Thanks in advance for all your help.  Much appreciated! - Kvdv

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Going back to stock muffler - need advice
Reply #1 - 07/05/16 at 19:09:20

The Jardine IS loud!

Every model is the same from 1986 on. You have a huge list of years to choose from!  Wink

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 07/05/16 at 19:11:57

Don't go stock, go with a Harley dyna. Just a bit louder than stock, but not stupid. You'll probably get more response of the same, but if stock is what you want there are probably lots to choose from since lots of folks swap to the dyna.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/05/16 at 20:18:51

Easy, cheapest, excellent sound, Dyna muffler. The stock unit is fat, ugly, heavy expensive,and power robbing.
Yes,the exhaust you have is way loud. And difficult to jet the carb to. If I f o und a Savage, id put a Dyna on it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
karl
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/05/16 at 20:20:05

Fair enough...I'd consider the Harley exhaust...is there a part number that I should look for?  Also, is it a direct bolt on or is there additional hardware required to fit it?
Thanks again...looking forward to playing around with this thing.  I may just have to get one for myself...what a cool bike!!

IP Logged
striknein

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/05/16 at 20:40:53

karl wrote on 07/05/16 at 20:20:05:
Fair enough...I'd consider the Harley exhaust...is there a part number that I should look for?  Also, is it a direct bolt on or is there additional hardware required to fit it?
Thanks again...looking forward to playing around with this thing.  I may just have to get one for myself...what a cool bike!!

Most independent Harley shops will have a back room flooded with take-off exhaust systems. You're looking for one off a dyna; it's mounted to the frame using a slotted rail welded to the back of the muffler. You can also use one off a Soft tail, which has 2 threaded bungs welded to the back. Only one bolt will line up with the muffler bracket on the frame. Try to pick up a Harley muffler clamp when you get the muffler.

You'll also need an exhaust shim. EMGO makes a set that allow you to match the inner diameter of the muffler to the outer diameter of the header. You can find the set for 5 bucks on eBay.

An adapter pipe is an alternative to the shim. RYCA sells an adapter which extends the length of the exhaust system and angles the muffler away from the rear brake arm. They're effective, but they're also 50 bucks a pop.

You can also install a heat shield to cover up the clamps and make for a more professional looking install. I think I bought a 6" shield from eBay. It was cheap.

You can find a guide in the tech section of the site. Ignore the part about the crushed tin can and making relief cuts at the end of the muffler. If you take my advice instead, you'll have a leak-free system.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 07/05/16 at 20:54:33

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 07/05/16 at 21:25:02

Avoid the catalytic converter year models.
Some have crossover tubes.. not what you want.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #8 - 07/06/16 at 10:43:44

striknein,

Would you happen to have a part number or measurement of the EMGO shim you used? I've had an exhaust leak utilizing my Dyna muffler that I just can't seem to solve with the crush can and slots method. I did a quick e-bay search but was only able to find Emgo mufflers.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #9 - 07/06/16 at 10:51:07

« Last Edit: 07/06/16 at 17:27:42 by Kenny G »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 07/06/16 at 11:50:08

Wake51 wrote on 07/06/16 at 10:43:44:
striknein,

Would you happen to have a part number or measurement of the EMGO shim you used? I've had an exhaust leak utilizing my Dyna muffler that I just can't seem to solve with the crush can and slots method. I did a quick e-bay search but was only able to find Emgo mufflers.

search "muffler shim" and this is what you want...

WWW   IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #11 - 07/06/16 at 16:53:14

I couldn't get the tin can method to work either. I ended up using a couple of layers of aluminum foil and some high temp silicone. Works great and won't blow out!

IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #12 - 07/07/16 at 16:21:51

I actually found some at the local auto parts. Am I looking to shin from 1 3/4 to 1 5/8, or to 1 3/8? Can't remember the diameter off the top of my head.

IP Logged
striknein

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/07/16 at 19:11:34

Wake51 wrote on 07/07/16 at 16:21:51:
I actually found some at the local auto parts. Am I looking to shin from 1 3/4 to 1 5/8, or to 1 3/8? Can't remember the diameter off the top of my head.

It's 1 5/8"

IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #14 - 07/08/16 at 05:53:53

Awesome, that was the one I picked up. I'll pull open the exhaust tonight and see if I can't fix it, much to the dismay of my riding buddies. they scoff at the idea of me fixing the backfire, it's one of their favorite features.  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 08:25:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Going back to stock muffler - need advice

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.