YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: List of "Bad Mistakes"
Reply #15 - 07/05/16 at 14:10:59

One guy forgot to lock the cam gear bolts in place and they backed out.

Many had the pulley nut loosen and the pulley work back forth till the savage was nothing more than a noise maker.

And I have a self lightening bike... tool cover, tank damper, handlebar end, helmet lock, muff heat shield, and the non muff supporting side of the muff bracket.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 07/05/16 at 16:25:31

As long as it doesn't spit the nut between the bars and seat,,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #17 - 07/05/16 at 17:16:24

Forgot to shut the fuel off at the tank petcock on my gs yesterday, pull of hose off at the frame petcock waiting with a cloth ready to catch a dribble of fuel... then came the panic as I frantically reached for the locking vice grip...etc... not necessary on the s40 though.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #18 - 07/05/16 at 17:50:39

You guys are mostly in the ball park. Truth is, you can be pretty dumb wrenching this bike and still get away with it. I am not talking about riding safety.

Oldfeller, turning the key to accessory and having a "no start" is ok if you don't pull the battery and the starter switch to find the trouble.  Grin

Raleigh, You'll never work at an autobody shop.  Wink

Dave, isn't the RE5 a rotary engine? If it is, that hurts.  :'(

Stew, I call you the Man of the Hour for even admitting that one! Good cautionary tale.  Grin

Let me go again:
Filled up with gas one day and hit the 2 lane south out of town. Got behind 2 cars running about 45. After about a mile of that I whipped out and sucked their doors off. "Wow", I thought. "That gas made a difference!" Turned out I was in 4th gear the whole time.  Embarrassed

More please. I've been mostly absent from here for the last year. It seems we have a whole new bunch of newbs with varying degrees of experience. We need to repeat what what we know for this new batch of people. Thanks, Boofer  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #19 - 07/06/16 at 08:06:27

Noticing, but ignoring, that the new o-ring I "responsibly" purchased when I was going to change the oil was a little loose. Tightening everything down pinched it, and within a couple of miles it blew, spewing oil all over my boot, pants, and exhaust. Fortunately, I still had the old o-ring, as I was 325 miles from home and 40 from the nearest Suzuki shop.

Add to that: doing any work on the bike when I'm 325 miles from home and 40 miles from a Suzuki shop.

- David
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 07/06/16 at 08:34:37

We, now you know how important it is to seat those little rubber rings in their little grooves before tightening up bolts... Bummer deal..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
welshpete
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 07/06/16 at 10:31:55

topping up the oil on my versys and forgetting to put the oil cap back on. a few miles and a slippery boot later....

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #22 - 07/06/16 at 16:51:20

Boofer wrote on 07/05/16 at 17:50:39:
Turned out I was in 4th gear the whole time.  Embarrassed

4th... 5th... It's all the same on this bike!  Grin

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #23 - 07/06/16 at 18:04:37

And then there was the time my turn signal switch wasn't working consistently and I inadvertently sprayed it with carb cleaner instead of contact cleaner. Those replacement switches aren't cheap!

- David
  IP Logged
robinsoncrusoe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 07/06/16 at 19:26:07

In a parallel time continuum dimension, having your bike stolen after it dropped an exhaust valve head into the wheel house. wowza  Shocked

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 07/07/16 at 16:49:53

Is there an alternate universe where the thief wouldn't bring it back?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 07/08/16 at 04:11:11

I talked to a fellow last night about this thread.  He told me that he found a dirty and neglected Yamaha TD3 in a barn that used to be a race bike, and the current owner had put a small headlight on it and was riding it on the street.  He paid $ 500 for the bike, and the guy said he had a bunch of spare parts - and when he got the parts the boxes all had labels with Vesco - Caruthers written on them (turns out it was a race bike with credentials).  He fixed the hole in the bodywork where the headlight was installed, and got it all put back together properly, and raced it for a few years - and then sold it for $ 750.  (He told me that today they are about $ 30,000).

« Last Edit: 07/08/16 at 06:00:48 by Dave »  

td3.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #27 - 07/08/16 at 08:39:33

Wow,,

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #28 - 07/08/16 at 12:25:20

My only bad mistake was buying my first motorcycle! A very consuming hobby , consumes money,space,time! Wouldn't change a thing , no regrets well maybe one wish I had more money,more space,more time to build more bikes! Life gets in the way of building bikes!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 04:18:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › List of "Bad Mistakes"

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.