Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Re: riding in heavy rain
Reply #15 - 07/02/16 at 11:21:47

Kris01 wrote on 07/02/16 at 09:08:07:
raydawg wrote on 07/02/16 at 08:16:50:
I think the cooling fins on this motor are well designed, she readily dissipates that heat on her own.
My motor will cool so quickly from too hot to touch, to having to use the "choke" to start her only after a 20 minute ferry ride in winter....

Even the header is cool enough to touch after ~20 minutes.

I have used mine for a hand warmer even  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #16 - 07/02/16 at 13:47:28

Redryder652 wrote on 07/01/16 at 21:36:16:
Which connections should I focus on? Lights, horn etc?

All of them, once you have an electrical problem you will have new respect for preventive maintenance.  Do a little bit of research about dielectric grease as well.

Best regards

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 07/05/16 at 05:51:19

Back in my dirt bike days....there was one track that used to make us ride up a creek - lots of steam -  but nobody's engine puked their guts out.

On one Dragon ride Springman, ArtWebb and I rode through a horrible downpour.  My Cafe' bike started to lose power, and the longer I rode in the downpour the more throttle I had to use to maintain my speed, and the tone of the engine changed and the exhaust note became deeper....when the rain let up a bit or stopped the engine ran as normal after a mile or so.  I thought maybe it was my lack of an air box and water was getting into the carb....and also my tiny front fender allow the front tire to throw water all ove the bike - but Springman and Artwebb said their bikes were doing the same thing and they had the stock airbox and front fender.

I asked Bill at Boretech if it was possible to seize the piston/cylinder riding in the rain on an air cooled bike.  He didn't believe it was possible - and he said that most likely the cylinder head has cooled so much that the valve clearance was gone, and likely the valves were not setting down on the seats during the heavy downpour....and once the rain let up and the engine returned to temperature....the valve clearance came back.

And......never shove your wet bike into a closed garage (after washing or riding in the rain).  The water can stay there for days and corrode stuff......so you need to get it dry as soon as you can (fan, leaf blower, warm/dry garage, etc).  Water can set in the electrical connections and in the nooks and crannies for days if you cover the bike or put it in a sealed garage that doesn't have any airflow.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #18 - 07/05/16 at 07:51:55

Your engine was already somewhat cooled from the water splash prior to playing submarine commander.

Back in the old days of aircooled dirtbikes we never thought twice about riding through streams. I don't remember anyone ever experiencing a mechanical failure due to rapid cooling. I did see a lot of wet ignition systems that caused the engine to cut out.

I had a CT70h that I was riding through a stream and the stream got deeper then I thought it would - over the exhaust outlet. I tried to keep it going but the stream got the best of me at the mid-way point. My brothers helped drag the bike out of the stream. We were a good 3 miles from home and I was wondering how I was going push the bike up the mountain to get it home. My brother said "stop your crying", pushed me off the bike and started kicking it over. With every kick water was coming out of the exhaust...and then it (slowly) started. "Here ya go" he said as he got off my bike.

I rode that bike home, changed the oil, and never had any water related issues. Those old horizontal Honda's were tough as nails.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #19 - 07/05/16 at 09:49:34

Got caught in it twice yesterday. Had to wring out my boots when I got to work. Hit a hard rain on the way home. Ended up off-roading my way to an underpass. Rain stopped after a few minutes, headed the rest of the way home, starts pouting a few hundred yards later.

Rode 14 miles in 2nd and 3rd gear, tucked below the windshield, navigating via the double yellow center line.

Should take a couple days for my clothes to dry out.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 08:13:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › riding in heavy rain

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.