Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tires and weight question/observation.... (Read 67 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Tires and weight question/observation....
07/01/16 at 05:39:04

I went from Metzlers to Dunlops on my last tire change.
The price installed was about half, for the Dunlops, than the Metzlers.
The Metzlers seemed more stout, like heavier, thicker, harder.
I was blown away with their sure-footed feeling compared to our stock tire, it was night and day.
Having been on the Dunlops for over a week now, I must say its a better tire for our bike. I believe it has to do with the weight of our bike, being so light, it needs a lighter tire.
The traction and responsiveness is much better and it still feels as well planted as the Metzlers.
We will see about wear, only one way to determine that  Grin
But I highly recommend this tire!

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Re: Tires and weight question/observation....
Reply #1 - 07/01/16 at 07:13:46

Depends on your location and what type of riding you do. My Michelin Commanders are hard and heavy but barely show any wear with 4,000 miles.   Of course, I'm riding on very hot dry pavement with very little cornering.     The guys who live in, and ride, the twisties require a softer, lighter tire for their style of riding.   Cool        

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 07/01/16 at 12:46:17

You can't compare an old worn tire to new rubber and make a fair assessment. Almost any new tire will ride and handle better then a worn tire, especially if the old tire is squared from highway use.

The only fair and objective comparison are two new complete set of tires.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #3 - 07/01/16 at 16:48:39

old.indian wrote on 07/01/16 at 07:13:46:
Depends on your location and what type of riding you do. My Michelin Commanders are hard and heavy but barely show any wear with 4,000 miles.   Of course, I'm riding on very hot dry pavement with very little cornering.     The guys who live in, and ride, the twisties require a softer, lighter tire for their style of riding.   Cool        

Absolutely, great point(s).

I do mostly ride short, curving roads, no interstate.....
Rarely do I go 70 MPH, maybe a burst here and there to clean out the carbon and give both of my hairs some curl  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #4 - 07/01/16 at 16:50:16

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 07/01/16 at 12:46:17:
You can't compare an old worn tire to new rubber and make a fair assessment. Almost any new tire will ride and handle better then a worn tire, especially if the old tire is squared from highway use.

The only fair and objective comparison are two new complete set of tires.

Fair enough, and thanks......
I was expressing solely my own experience, nothing more, and a fair test would be all things equal, as you said  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:22:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tires and weight question/observation....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.