Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Will "Blue Away" work here? (Read 227 times)
RaleighGuy

It's as easy as

Raleigh, NC
Will "Blue Away" work here?
06/29/16 at 04:45:49

I'm not 100% sure if this discoloration is called Bluing or not but if anyone has the time to look at this, I've got a couple of questions concerning this exhaust pipe. First, I'll assume that the top of the pipe is called the header but please correct me if I'm wrong.

So I've been looking through all the old "Tips and Tricks" posts and found one that mentioned Blue Away for taking care of blue header pipes. Is that what is happening here to mine? The reason why I'm asking is because it's not really blue.

And my second question is, assuming I can get some Blue Away and take care of this ugliness, how can I prevent it from happening again? Are the pipes just getting overheated?

Thanks for any help you can give me on this topic.

IMG_5803_pipe.JPG

2012 S40 Boulevard (White and Silver) - small changes so far like windshield, sissy bar, saddlebags... but mostly stock.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Will "Blue Away" work here?
Reply #1 - 06/29/16 at 05:04:22

Blipping the gas at idle will do that. A generally lean condition will do it. Mine made 5,000 miles, with stock everything, and it was an 05 model. I blued it listening to the valves.. And Boy that ticked me off. I got used to it..
You Can clean it up, but it's gonna be back unless you can change something...
It's not ugly, it says
I am a motorcycle and I get ridden.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 06/29/16 at 05:12:27

Anything that gets the pipe hot will cause the blue to appear faster.  Idling while not moving, idling/riding with the choke on, high speed runs in hot weather, etc.

I have not used Blue Away....I have used Blue Job.  It is a white powder that you dampen a small piece of cloth that comes with it, then you dip it in the cloth and rub really hard.  It does remove the discoloration....and the more you rub the more of the yellow/blue goes away.

The color change (yellow/blue) is oxidation of the chrome surface.  The hotter it gets the darker blue the color.  Using the Blue Job you are actually scrubbing off the discolored layer....and making the chrome layer thinner.  It won't hurt anything to polish it once in a while - but do it too often and you will scrub the chrome away.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Struch

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LA
Reply #3 - 06/29/16 at 05:32:09

You also can rap the pipe and dont worry about it  Grin
but so far how I know gold coloration is a beginning of the problem  Sad

IP Logged
RaleighGuy

It's as easy as

Raleigh, NC
Reply #4 - 06/29/16 at 05:34:07

Justin_o_guy2 said: "Mine made 5,000 miles,"

JOG, that's one of the reasons I was concerned because my 2012 only has 1,100 miles on it. It seemed pretty weird that it would already be showing discoloration (again, with as little as I know about exhaust systems). But I guess being fairly new to me, I'm just trying to get everything as clean as possible.

And Dave, thanks for the advice. I must grudgingly admit that I'm guilty of the occasional, completely pointless REEEEV of the motor at stop lights when there are people in their cages staring at that "odd-looking, single cylinder bike next to us". I'll see if I can get some Blue Job off Amazon and apply it as sparingly as possible. Sounds pretty straight-forward.

2012 S40 Boulevard (White and Silver) - small changes so far like windshield, sissy bar, saddlebags... but mostly stock.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 06/29/16 at 05:40:01

If you spend a lot of time sitting in traffic....that could be a reason your pipe is turning color.  My bike has 8,000 miles on it....and no color on the pipe - I live in the country and never sit is traffic (except when Oldfeller or MMRanch drags me through Pigeon Forge).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #6 - 06/29/16 at 06:13:27

I have just over 1000, kms on the s40 and the header is yellowing up a bit, and a small amount of bluing near the flanges. This would have been set up for Australia at sea level (presumably). I have heard that these bikes are often set up on the lean side, but I'm not sure how much faith I can place in that.

With normal riding, not sitting in traffic boiling the engine, does this bronzing tend to indicate a lean condition. Recently got 190kms on a tank of gas, not counting reserve.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 06/29/16 at 08:10:54

If you take it off,... and conditions are same afterwards, it will just come back...
My pipe is half blue/black from heat... I ride in 100f plus, in traffic, and through 7,000ft elevation changes...
I've learned to embrace the beauty of pipe discolouration...
It shows people that I actually ride...  Cool

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #8 - 06/29/16 at 08:23:52

@Serowbot,

I agree I quite like the look of the bluing pipes, I was only concerned if it might be an indicator of excess heat and/or overly lean.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/29/16 at 08:34:51

The car tuner kids pay extra to have their exhaust tips done up like that. You know, the tips that are ~15 feet away from the header?  Roll Eyes

Personally, I don't mind it one bit.  I'm more concerned with the condition that caused the blue than the blue itself.  

IP Logged
SugarBoogers

I love cheese!

Haverhill MA
Reply #10 - 06/29/16 at 15:37:16

Mine's way, way worse (14k miles) than that and I could care less. It's not going to stay new forever. Years ago people said the pipe colors had to be the right ones, and if not it meant doom or at least trouble. AFAIK if it's too lean for your taste, you can change the carb jet to richen the mixture, which will help the motor to run cooler and it's better for it that way. Don't ask me about it though I haven't gotten to that part yet.

How do you remove a club soda stain?
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 06/29/16 at 16:29:17

eau de sauvage wrote on 06/29/16 at 06:13:27:
I have just over 1000, kms on the s40 and the header is yellowing up a bit, and a small amount of bluing near the flanges. This would have been set up for Australia at sea level (presumably). I have heard that these bikes are often set up on the lean side, but I'm not sure how much faith I can place in that.

With normal riding, not sitting in traffic boiling the engine, does this bronzing tend to indicate a lean condition. Recently got 190kms on a tank of gas, not counting reserve.

A study of the stock jetting down through the years compared with the EPA regulations for MPG and emissions will make it obvious.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #12 - 06/29/16 at 19:34:59

A straw color is fairly normal, even if the pipe is never overheated. An almost black pipe means the owner is having a little too much fun!  Grin

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 06/29/16 at 20:09:27

My pipe matches my bike, black with hints of blue and purple...😈

Rear pipe is painted flat black, that keeps getting scorched from use. The front section is heat discolored, with extra "character" courtesy of the head leaking oil like an old Brit twin or Shovelhead.

I've even burnt the coatings of the engine and rear exhaust brackets. I ride it often, commuter duties, backroads, and interstate.  Bike is still too lean with 150/50 jetting, lost my spares, so will just keep on keeping on.

Bike purchased spring 2014 with 7500 miles on it. Odometer shows 21k or so, but did not work for 16-1& months of that time, real miles are over 40000.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
RaleighGuy

It's as easy as

Raleigh, NC
Reply #14 - 07/05/16 at 04:11:27

Dave wrote on 06/29/16 at 05:12:27:
Anything that gets the pipe hot will cause the blue to appear faster.  Idling while not moving, idling/riding with the choke on, high speed runs in hot weather, etc.

I have not used Blue Away....I have used Blue Job.  It is a white powder that you dampen a small piece of cloth that comes with it, then you dip it in the cloth and rub really hard.  It does remove the discoloration....and the more you rub the more of the yellow/blue goes away.

The color change (yellow/blue) is oxidation of the chrome surface.  The hotter it gets the darker blue the color.  Using the Blue Job you are actually scrubbing off the discolored layer....and making the chrome layer thinner.  It won't hurt anything to polish it once in a while - but do it too often and you will scrub the chrome away.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Dave, the Blue Job worked great. After 5-10 minutes of patient scrubbing, the pipes are shiny and brand new looking. I'll try to remember to use it sparingly.

Now if I can do something about this small dent in my gas tank....   Shocked

IMG_5857a.JPG

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:23:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Will "Blue Away" work here?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.