Send Topic Print
1/4 turn throttle (Read 109 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
1/4 turn throttle
06/28/16 at 10:16:09

Do they make a 1/4 turn throttle for 1" handle bars ? Or am I going to have to modify the stock throttle ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: 1/4 turn throttle
Reply #1 - 06/28/16 at 10:30:47

The problem you are going to have....is the stock throttle grip housing most likely won't take a larger diameter throttle tube.   I don't know if you can shim the stock throttle tube in a way that will make it a larger diameter where the cable wraps around the tube.

The only other option(s) is to make the cam on the carb a smaller diameter if you are using the stock carb.......or change the throttle housing - which would also require you to use a different stop/starter switch.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 06/28/16 at 10:42:38

Seems like it would be a lot harder to maintain a steady pace and require more grip and torque to hold it. If you haven't taken the slack out of the cable, it might be good to look at that. That really improved the exit speeds on corners.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 06/28/16 at 11:48:59

I have a different throttle on my bike (7/8" bars), and it is a Magura Duo throttle.  It has a 1/4 turn side, and on the other side you can get a faster throttle.  These throttle are mostly used on racing or Off Road motorcycles.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magura-Duo-314-Throttle-Grips-Motocross-AHRMA-VMX-Hus...

I use the 1/4 side, and JOG is correct....it is harder to hold a steady cruise speed, as a small movement of the throttle makes a bigger change at the carb.....I suspect that is why most street bikes don't use 1/4 turn throttles.

It also requires more strength to turn....as the grip movement does more work as it moves, and this can get tiring on long rides.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 06/28/16 at 12:20:37

Yeah I got a used throttle tube off fleabay , I guess I will see if I can increase the diameter where the cable goes around it. All my singles have 1/4 turn throttles it seems if I don't have it my wrist hurts guess I got that carpal tunnel syndrome and right wrist doesn't have full range of motion like the left wrist. Let you know what I come up with.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #5 - 06/28/16 at 13:13:09

A "crampbuster" works for me with a right wrist that has limited motion.  I can use the heel of my hand on long runs, or my thumb to add or change throttle settings .

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 06/28/16 at 21:16:12

You might be able to adapt a thump type throttle off a snowmobile or four wheeler and not have to turn your wrist at all.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #7 - 07/10/16 at 20:33:08

Ok I'm going to try and say this without gagging & puking on my iPad.
Rev JOG you were right. The bike with stock throttle was hard to keep a constant speed/rpm on the highway and got worse with the one I modified so I put the stock one back on. I guess that mikuni vm36 carb and the carb upgrades I did gave it instant throttle response ,it's very touchy. Might try a lighter return spring in the carb. And exit speed isn't an issue with this beast,getting slowed down before the turn is. Anyway thanks for your opinion !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:25:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 1/4 turn throttle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.