Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oil leak from front cylinder head stud (Read 46 times)
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Oil leak from front cylinder head stud
06/27/16 at 17:53:04

Hey all,

A few months ago I noticed I was leaking oil. I noticed it after a very slow, hot, ride home from work. I was told the stud probably heated up and stretched due to poor air flow not providing adequate cooling to the cylinder. I tightened it probably 1/8 or 1/4 of a turn with a small wrench, (I think it was a 9mm or something like that). I have a 1/2 torque wrench, and bought a pack of crow's feet, but they wouldn't fit in such a tight space. I think it still leaks a little bit, haven't been able to ride recently. HondaLavis had told me to tighten it down a bit, I did. I'm just worried, because I don't want to over torque it, that's why I only went slightly tighter.

What do y'all think I should do? Is this common? I was told I should tighten the rear as well, but it's not leaking, I would hate for it to start leaking because of that.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Here are pictures of the leak when I first discovered it, then cleaned up after I had tightened it, then rode about 100 miles on it.

2014 Suzuki Boulevard S40

The views and opinions expressed on this post reply are solely the opinion of savskad, no disrespect is ever intended, unless otherwise specified.
Wink
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Oil leak from front cylinder head stud
Reply #1 - 06/27/16 at 18:10:34

This is a common issue....easy to fix.  

Take the nut off, and clean the nut and stud to get all the oil off.....brake cleaner works fine.

Put a little RTV on the threads, and the flange part of the nut....and snug it up firmly.

Problem solved.

If you want to do preventative maintenance....do the same to the rear one that is under the intake port.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #2 - 06/27/16 at 18:49:05

Dave wrote on 06/27/16 at 18:10:34:
This is a common issue....easy to fix.  

Take the nut off, and clean the nut and stud to get all the oil off.....brake cleaner works fine.

Put a little RTV on the threads, and the flange part of the nut....and snug it up firmly.

Problem solved.

If you want to do preventative maintenance....do the same to the rear one that is under the intake port.

Thanks Dave! When I searched for a solution I had seen a thread from 2013 where you had suggested that, but it was in the nut cap above the exhaust. Didn't know if it would apply here. I'll give that a shot.

2014 Suzuki Boulevard S40

The views and opinions expressed on this post reply are solely the opinion of savskad, no disrespect is ever intended, unless otherwise specified.
Wink
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 06/28/16 at 04:02:26

It looks like there may be a washer between the nut and the aluminum cylinder (although it could just be a raised area in the casting).  There should not be any washer under the nut.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/01/24 at 04:53:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil leak from front cylinder head stud

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.