Send Topic Print
Boofer broke it. (Read 89 times)
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Boofer broke it.
06/26/16 at 19:22:33

I need some ideas. I have been having health problems that keep me from riding without pain, so it has been in my mind to sell. Took a 25 mile ride on an errand to see if I could get used to riding.

Pulled up to my destination and turned her off, but the starter was ENGAGED. Switched the key on and off. Nothing worked except to turn it on and go home. I have tools in my pouch, but again I am not able to lay on hot pavement and remove starter cable. Nearly made it before she quit dead--no light, horn-nothing. It was 95 degrees and above here all week. Going to be all this next week. Yes, I know I ruined the starter, and probably blue a fuse or burned the battery cable off. Serow, Versy, Lancer, Justin. I need some worst cases to check out when I finally get around to it. I doubt I'll get right to it, but I know you guys like a challenge, and I am old enough to cogitate awhile before I go to ordering parts. lol Undecided

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Boofer broke it.
Reply #1 - 06/26/16 at 19:47:03

Boofer , No power anywhere that's fuses (2). I would take cable off at starter and tape it up so it can't contact anything, then replace blown fuse(s). Then key on see if lights , signals, horn work. If they are working use a test light on the cable removed from starter to see if there is power there. Should have no power at that cable until starter button is pushed. If it has power all the time with key on then starter solenoid is bad or a short in starter circuit. Hope this helps.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #2 - 06/26/16 at 20:48:29

Decomp controller has been known, in a few cases, to short out causing the starter to stay on all the time also.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/26/16 at 21:07:56

Before you replace the fuses, chech resistance between the two big lugs on the solenoid.
If it's not infinite, it's stuck.
I'd remove the small pair of wires from it, because of the possibility that the decompression timer might have bit the bullet.

I guess it's not impossible that the Start button is messed up inside..

The starter motor may have cooked.. they aren't meant to run like that,but, it was unloaded..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #4 - 06/26/16 at 21:42:54

FWIW, on some of the older K model BMWs, this is not an uncommon symptom. The gag is that if the battery is weak, the start solenoid doesn't completely close, and arcs across the contacts. The contacts weld themselves to their respective posts, and the starter spins regardless of switch position.
Solution is new start solenoid and a well charged battery.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #5 - 06/28/16 at 21:18:41

Thanks guys. Well thought strategies similar to what I was thinking. I've had 19,000 trouble free miles out of this bike. She came with 7500 on her in 2009. I did replace the solenoid with an off brand from Dennis Kirk. That keeps coming to mind. I'll get her apart and check it out as time permits. Thanks again. Also the tip about BMWs welding contacts together. That could send a good mechanic to the Looney bin. Boofer Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 06/28/16 at 21:33:21

I should have a spare stock solenoid around here. I'm just up the road a piece in Shelby County TN. Local metal shred yard has a pile of dead Savages they let me root through occasionally. Most are low mileage with blown engines.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/01/24 at 04:23:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Boofer broke it.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.