Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
ruined brand new battery (Read 188 times)
hotprops

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

fort myers fl
ruined brand new battery
06/25/16 at 16:07:38

by turning the key off to the taillight on position on a sunny day putting key in my pocket  and going inside for a fey days. SO i am thinking of cutting the wire to the ignition switch feeding the rear running light . anybody do  this? what was the manufacturer thinking enabling the key to be removed with the light on? can i do this modification or is the rear running light turned on in both settings of the switch and if so,
could i just add it to the headlight power wire . i have not pulled the bike apart yet to look around as i am waiting for the new battery.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: ruined brand new battery
Reply #1 - 06/25/16 at 16:19:33

hotprops wrote on 06/25/16 at 16:07:38:
SO i am thinking of cutting the wire to the ignition switch feeding the rear running light . anybody do  this?  

Yup,.. I did mine years ago.  Works fine...
The switch is now, off-on-off...Cool

Did ya' try a long slow charge on the battery?... like 1 amps for 10 or 12 hours?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 06/25/16 at 20:42:18

It shouldn't kill a new battery,a one or two amp charger should bring it back.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
hotprops

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

fort myers fl
Reply #3 - 06/25/16 at 22:41:50

in garage for week before i found it .i was away . 1.6 v left in a glass mat batt . i would never trust it . i will try to charge it and get some good volt checks and will give  to any one who wants it. SO here is the real problem, toned the wires to/ from the key switch and i am sure  of the following [2009 bike} 1.key switch  out{kso} red white into bike connector to 1 red black. 2. orange kso to 2 wires orange black one smaller .3.2 brown wires kso to 2 small brown  with small green dot. 4. grey kso to to orange green or grey dot cant tell. this wire does nothing when hit to ground or batt + in any of the 3 switch positions switch only not conected to bike. SO what does the grey kso wire do. why 2 brown dot going to brown kso? only wires hot in the rear light sitting key position is one brown to 2 smaller brown green dot wires.     is the key switch providing ground in some positions and hot in  others      

IP Logged
hotprops

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

fort myers fl
Reply #4 - 06/26/16 at 00:27:39

i have been at it for 5 hours and have 60 years of experience. without slicing and dicing the wire loom its a no go . s,bot i respect you and your knowledge.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/26/16 at 01:41:12

Open the switch, defeat the contacts.
Or, modify it so it won't go to Park.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 06/26/16 at 08:04:42

hotprops wrote on 06/26/16 at 00:27:39:
. s,bot i respect you and your knowledge.

Then you really don't know me... Grin

Wiring may have changed in newer models... Mine's a 97'...
Is the ACC position still just tailight?... or did they go to flashers?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
VortecCPI

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/26/16 at 09:12:20

You won't ruin a battery by running it down.  Put it on a charger and it will be fine.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 06/26/16 at 09:30:19

VortecCPI wrote on 06/26/16 at 09:12:20:
You won't ruin a battery by running it down.  Put it on a charger and it will be fine.

That used to be true with the acid/plate battery technology.  The Absorbed Glass Matt batteries and gell batteries are not as tolerant about being fully discharged.....or charged with a charger rated at more than 1.5 - 2 amps.

The old "wet" batteries also used to give you some warning when they were getting near the end of their life.....they would slowly get weak.  The new batteries can work fine......then fail without warning.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #9 - 06/26/16 at 10:17:23

Does this help?

2007-2009_Wiring_Diagram_003.jpg

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
hotprops

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

fort myers fl
Reply #10 - 06/26/16 at 12:04:31

thanks for the diagram .looks like no way to do it unless i take the switch apart . anybody ever do that?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 06/26/16 at 12:25:56

Basic rules

Clear work area.
Clean floor.
Good light.
Once you get it ready to come apart, go Slow.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
VortecCPI

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 06/27/16 at 06:01:12

Dave wrote on 06/26/16 at 09:30:19:
VortecCPI wrote on 06/26/16 at 09:12:20:

That used to be true with the acid/plate battery technology.  The Absorbed Glass Matt batteries and gell batteries are not as tolerant about being fully discharged.....or charged with a charger rated at more than 1.5 - 2 amps.

The old "wet" batteries also used to give you some warning when they were getting near the end of their life.....they would slowly get weak.  The new batteries can work fine......then fail without warning.

I have a lead-acid in the LS650 and had lead-acid batteries in the CRF230 and SRX600.  All have been fully discharged and stone dead and all have come back just fine.  I now have a SLA in the SRX600 and it too comes back from being stone dead.

All the UPS we have use SLA batteries and they are often run until dead.  Cycle count is what kills them, not a full discharge.  As for the other types of batteries you listed I'm not too sure how they apply to our LS650 street bike.  All the ones I have seen use old-school lead-acid batteries.

As far as charging them I thought it was common knowledge to use as little current as possible.  I guess I was wrong on that one.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 06/27/16 at 06:09:34

Several members have turned their switch the wrong way......and killed their batteries.  Not all of them were new batteries - but they did fail to work again after being deeply discharged.

Battery University:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/absorbent_glass_mat_agm

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
VortecCPI

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 06/27/16 at 06:30:31

Dave wrote on 06/27/16 at 06:09:34:
Several members have turned their switch the wrong way......and killed their batteries.  Not all of them were new batteries - but they did fail to work again after being deeply discharged.

Battery University:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/absorbent_glass_mat_agm

Very interesting but the LS650 in my garage (and many bikes I have seen) have old-school lead-acid batteries with vent lines and caps for adding water and acid.  They are all definitely "spillable".

We also see boats at the dock all the time with dead conventional lead-acid batteries and they almost always come back after a charge.  Interesting that we have such issues with the LS650.

Perhaps these new lead-acid batteries are a trend only on new bikes?  According to the page you provided "AGM is the preferred battery for upscale motorcycles".  I guess the old LS650 doesn't fall in that category.

Some examples from DK:

https://www.denniskirk.com/parts-unlimited/heavy-duty-12-volt-battery-rcb14lb...

https://www.denniskirk.com/yuasa/yumicron-high-powered-12-volt-battery-yb14l-...

Our dirt bikes can not use conventional capped-and-vented lead-acid batteries because they often end up upside-down.  I use a tiny SLA in the SRX600 just to pass inspection.  It has a separate magneto for the ignition so a battery isn't even required.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 22:53:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › ruined brand new battery

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.