Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Head plug leaking again, hair-brained idea for fix (Read 248 times)
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Head plug leaking again, hair-brained idea for fix
06/25/16 at 10:18:34

The head plug on my 2007 S40 appears to be leaking again -- a slow leak that first appears on the engine bolt just to the left of the exhaust port. I had it replace at 9,000 miles, now at 15,000. Because it's tiny, and because I don't really want to spend the $$$ the stealership will charge to replace it again and am not up to the task of doing it myself, I'm considering trying a seal rejuvenator like this to see if it expands the plug enough to stop this small leak: https://www.amazon.com/ATP-AT-205-Re-Seal-Stops-Bottle/dp/B000NVW1LM?ie=UTF8&...

Several Amazon users have put it in motorcycles with no ill effects. My only real concern is the wet clutch. It's not petroleum based, and the reviews on Amazon make it seem safe. Anyone tried this, and if not, have any ideas about whether it will affect the clutch?

By the way, one of the bikes that the Amazon user put this sealer in was a 1993 Kawasaki Voyager XII. I have not idea how they are built, though since the head plug is plastic and not rubber, it's a moot point.

Thanks,
David

« Last Edit: 06/25/16 at 19:28:02 by DavidOfMA »  

- David
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Re: Head plug leaking again, hair-brained idea for
Reply #1 - 06/25/16 at 11:48:54

If I were doing it I would give Mr. Versy a call. Put his head plug in and forget about further leaks. Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 06/25/16 at 14:02:25

I agree with Norm,I would be leery ,the motor cycles your talking about may have been Harley's which have separate motors and tranys  which would allow use in their motors.If you had a shop do your last plug they didn't put sealer around it because their manual doesn't call for it ,and it leaking again. You really should do it yourself ,100"s of us have .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 06/25/16 at 14:07:53

The seal conditioner won't really do anything to the head plug....it is more plastic than rubber.  But you really don't want that seal conditioner working on all those other rubber seals.....like the pulley seal, crank seals, decompressor lever seal, shift shaft seal, etc.

Are you sure it is the head plug....and not the nut/bolt that is under the exhaust port?

If it is the head plug.....live with it until you can't....then it is time to do it one more time and use the Versy for the next and final time.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #4 - 06/25/16 at 19:23:34

Thanks for all your responses so far.

I'm not totally sure that it's the head plug. If I clean the oil up with carb cleaner and then look at it after a short run, I see oil on the nut/bolt that you can see if you look into the hole in the cylinder block next to the exhaust port. Is the head plug directly over this bolt? If so, how can I tell for sure if the oil is coming from the head plug or from the nut being loose? If it's from the nut and not the head plug, will I have to remove the head cover anyway to retorque it?

I know many people on this board have replaced the head plug, but reading through the threads on the job, I find it daunting. Just replacing the cam chain tensioner with the verslavvy took me several hours, and this looks like a much more complex job. Or am I overestimating its difficulty?

Thanks again,
David

PS: I ordered the Verslagen head plug. Thanks, I didn't know these had gone beyond "experimental."

- David
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/26/16 at 01:50:14

If you have done the chain , this is the same thing.. just gotta do the plug, it's under the head cover. That's not difficult. Time consuming.. And a hassle.Spreading the goo, clamping down the head cover, pass after pass on the bolts... gakk..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #6 - 06/26/16 at 06:28:12

How can I tell, before I resort to pulling things apart, whether the leak is from the head plug or the cylinder nut undernearth it?

- David
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 06/26/16 at 06:54:52

I would put a small piece of cloth in the hole, and go for a short ride.  I don't think the cloth will burst into flames.  The goal is to see if the oil is getting on the top of the cloth, or coming from underneath.

There was one member who carefully cleaned the area, then was able to apply a neat coating of RTV to the bottom side of the head plug and got it sealed.  If you didn't do this very carefully....it could make a really big mess!

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #8 - 06/26/16 at 14:15:50

Good idea, using a piece of cloth. Sprayed the area down again with carb cleaner, will do a short run tomorrow.

If it's the head plug, I'll try the RTV-on-the bottom trick as a short-term fix. Any idea what the other member used to spread the sealant? Too cramped to get a finger in there, but you'd need to get it to adhere to the plug bottom and surrounding metal with no gaps.

The plug bottom is flush with the metal around it. Should it be?

Thanks,

David

- David
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 06/26/16 at 14:41:15

dave,try a popsicle stick,If it turns out to be the head bolt you'll still have to pull the top and remove the plug to get to the headbolt.

« Last Edit: 06/26/16 at 15:48:23 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 06/26/16 at 18:39:08

If you can get a syringe with a curved tip....fill it with the RTV and apply it where you need it.  Or a syringe with a piece of tubing on the end....you may need somebody to squeeze the syringe while you carefully operate the tube end.

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #11 - 06/27/16 at 02:04:29

Another good idea. I have a small syringe with a hose.

Then there's also this, which is supposed to wick into cracks and apparently is oil resistant (though it's only rated to 300F):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0018PW15I

If it's the plug, nothing to lose by trying these external attempts, just a bit more mess to clean up later if it fails.

- David
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Carb cleaner fix for head plug leak?
Reply #12 - 07/02/16 at 09:05:25

A follow-up:

I did the rag-in-hole test Dave suggested and found very little oil leaking this time. Then I thought: carb cleaner melts plastic and the "rubber" head plug, Dave said, is mostly plastic. I wonder if some of it wicked into the spaces where the plug was leaking and melted a seal. So, with nothing to lose, I sprayed the heck out of it with carb cleaner, waited a couple of days, and took it out for another ride with a rag in the hole to catch any drips. Not a drop!

It seems unlikely this "carb cleaner fix" for the head plug leak will last indefinitely, but until it leaks again, I don't see much reason to tear things apart. Versy head plug is on the way, so I'll have it when I need it.

Thanks for all your advice!

David

- David
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 07/02/16 at 10:42:44

Versy head plug is on the way, so I'll have it when I need it.

That's wisdom in action.
People who are planning on replacing the chain in a year should be shopping and buy one and drop it in a jar and cover it with oil.
Get the gasket and sealer, and not be hoping for parts to get in at the last minute.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #14 - 07/05/16 at 15:31:01

>> I wonder if some of it wicked into the spaces where the plug was leaking and melted a seal. So, with nothing to lose, I sprayed the heck out of it with carb cleaner, waited a couple of days,

COOL - thanks, I will try this.  Not ready for any bike surgery, but it would be nice if the fins would stay clean for a while.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 23:41:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Head plug leaking again, hair-brained idea for fix

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.