Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Tech talk on Rotella T & Rot Syn (Read 454 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Tech talk on Rotella T & Rot Syn
Reply #15 - 06/28/16 at 20:47:32

Your the Man OldFeller !   Cool

It would have been days before I'd have thought up such a good response !   Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #16 - 06/28/16 at 21:15:58

verslagen1 wrote on 06/26/16 at 14:40:10:
Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 06/26/16 at 13:59:44:
 Nothing shows, it is jest Granny's old putt putt Savage to look at it.   With a fat old guy riding it.

I think I'm confused... is it granny's or yours? or are you granny?

I think that I need to head back to OF's neck of the woods and show the scrawny young pup what a REAL Thumper is...   Cool  

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #17 - 06/28/16 at 21:37:43

Before anyone peels OldFeller of the ceiling, one of the local KLM racers suggested that I try Bel-Ray's "Thumper" 15-50. Evidently it is designed for high performance single cylinder 4 strokes air or liquid cooled with wet clutches.....
 I changed to it at 500 miles on the break in. Not cheap, but so far so good...  Any one have any experience with it ???
(I realize that this is a discussion of Rot', but .....)  

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 06/28/16 at 22:14:39

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #19 - 06/29/16 at 06:34:29

I don't get upset, I just provide data ......

We haven't had a traditional oil war in at least a year or so now, we are just "adjusting" for the new specs rolling out each year.

(hey, the poor joker can't breathe if you cover him 4 feet deep in data)

« Last Edit: 06/29/16 at 07:44:25 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 06/29/16 at 06:43:35

I used to be a "fancy oil" junkie......and I would buy the latest and greatest oils.

I have been "enlightened", and not I use the Rotella T with a shot of Redline ZDDP additive for good measure.  Oil changes are now much cheaper, and I betcha' I never put enough miles on any of my cars or bikes to wear them out!

And the coolest part is I can buy the Rotella T at any auto parts store, big box store, truck stop, etc.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #21 - 06/29/16 at 07:40:38

OK... I won't worry about the fancy oil....BUT !!!!

OF There is a 20+ mile long straight near me...Not flat and it's a looong grade down out of Abo Pass (6,500 ft.) across the valley to the Rio Grande ((4,700 ft.) ..South  on the slab. THEN we can head west again at Socorro, over the Continental Divide  (7,900 ft.) to Pietown, NM . Loser pays for the coffee and pie, *New Mexico Apple Pie* of course......
* New Mexico Apple Pie*.  Made with apples, pine nuts, green chili.... (and medical care for the eastern wimpies..)
Cool

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 06/29/16 at 07:47:03

Are you talking about a high speed (high end) race of Savages?     Cheesy

I'll let Dave work you on that one -- he has gearing changes aimed at that top speed high end race and the engine mods (and completely stripped light weight) to pull it all the way up the RPM curve to the air resistance limited "top end".

And his air resistance is less than half of what we got .......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 06/29/16 at 08:14:20

old.indian wrote on 06/29/16 at 07:40:38:
OK... I won't worry about the fancy oil....BUT !!!!

OF There is a 20+ mile long straight near me...Not flat and it's a looong grade down out of Abo Pass (6,500 ft.) across the valley to the Rio Grande ((4,700 ft.) ..South  on the slab. THEN we can head west again at Socorro, over the Continental Divide  (7,900 ft.) to Pietown, NM . Loser pays for the coffee and pie, *New Mexico Apple Pie* of course......
* New Mexico Apple Pie*.  Made with apples, pine nuts, green chili.... (and medical care for the eastern wimpies..)
Cool

New Mexican Pie Run... other than a complete disdain for NMHP, sounds like fun.

WWW   IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #24 - 06/29/16 at 09:43:52

Other than the area near Magdalena (NM), the NMHP are too busy trying to sneak by the shepherd to worry about minor things like rape, pillage and a couple of gangsters on speeding (?) motorcycles.....  Wink

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #25 - 07/24/16 at 21:10:58

Yeah, my 98 was having clutch slippage, lower MPG, and it backfires on shutdown. I thought it may be from my inept wrenching skills.... After reading this thread, and due for an oil change I decided to send the T-6 synthetic to the bench.

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 06/25/16 at 17:19:13:

It also seems to be able to be reversed easily.    (which is a good thing)

Yep. Filled it up with Mobil 1 4T 10w-40 - $10 per quart   Undecided
Took it on three tank long test rides(last one today)  - no clutch slip, improved responsiveness(torque), and my MPG went up from about 45 to 52 MPGs (not a good test, as these tests were entirely on twisty, bucolic canyon roads with no braking, but I enjoyed the test  Wink)

So I'll stay away from T-6. I still have about 2 quarts left, I'll just use that to top off the my various internal combustion engines when they need it.

Oh, and it still backfires on shutdown  Cheesy

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #26 - 07/25/16 at 08:01:43

Ironically, the Mobil 1 that you used likely has moly or other friction modifiers in it as well, but very likely of a different type in a different formulation.

Still, tell us what the bottle said and we can look into it (as well as you can look it up since Mobil 1 changes things up without SAYING ANYTHING about what is actually being currently shipped in the bottles).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #27 - 07/25/16 at 08:07:45

When Nobody who uses Rotella is crying and it's affordable,why use other stuff?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #28 - 07/25/16 at 08:23:45

Justin, some folks just like to pay $10 a quart for oil and are used to doing just that.  

Rot T (or the now slightly suspect Rot Syn) were always "too cheap to be worth much" in the eyes of the ex-Royal Purple crowd.

People who believe in colored oil (be it purple or red) are simply gonna shell over that approximately $30 per oil change    please remember that shipping is extra on most of that colored oil stuff you know.

If we could find current enough specs on the Mobil 1 4T version that is being talked about, we could see what was in it.

A picture of the jug including the color of the cap is needed for good input information.   A quick look if the SN rating is on the jug will give you a current rough estimate of content amounts.   Mobil OBEYS the SN rating, and a SN oil simply sucks for a Savage oil.

Mobil is also very bad for putting out a new fancy graphic jug wrapped around the same 'ol car oils for the motorcycle people to go buy at a premium.

« Last Edit: 07/26/16 at 10:22:50 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #29 - 07/25/16 at 08:32:03

Ohh, yeah, I forgot.

MY Baby DE Zerves The Best.

I remember having feelings for equipment... I'm almost over that. Occasionally I feel something for an antique tool..or machine or vehicle.. it's a sickness, I tell ya! Ohh, the hours spent, scraping, polishing, cleaning,

I've GOT TO SAVE this poor old thing..
Antique American tool collection, for sale...

Smiley

Not..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 05:02:04

General CategoryThe Cafe › Tech talk on Rotella T & Rot Syn

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.