will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Brexit
Reply #15 - 06/24/16 at 12:02:29

verslagen1 wrote on 06/24/16 at 10:19:20:
Violent_Rage wrote on 06/24/16 at 00:44:52:
What do you think about?

Since the EU exists, as we understand it today, we are all been led to believe that the exit from the EU would be devastating to the economy of the outgoing country.

I am considering that the UK has never joined the Euro and also that they have two years to plan the exit strategy, it could be that they will not be affected as much as the government wants us to believe.

I'm not an economist and I'm not British, so this is just a personal observation.

We'll see...

If computers ever get to powerful, we'll form them into a committee and that will do them in.
and...
If ever a democracy finds out it can vote itself wealth, it's soon doomed to destruction.

heavily redacted and paraphrased by my mental committee (see inside out)

The committee forgot to add the point to the quotes...

The EU is a committee.
Greece is a democracy.
The UK is a committee by itself.

WWW   IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #16 - 06/24/16 at 13:04:52

Does this mean Nigel Farage is vindicated?  

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 06/24/16 at 13:36:10

Will you go fight it?...
Will your children?...

War has a much higher body count than a few random acts of terrorism...
... and, when have we won?...  Once we declare victory and leave, we leave even more embittered people in the country we invaded.
This is how the problem started in the first place, with the invasion of Iraq...

If we'd left Europe alone, we'd had fought the Nazis over here rather than over there. Just because Kennedy followed by LBJ followed by Nixon screwed up Vietnam and then Bush followed by Obama totally screwed up in Afghanistan and Iraq doesn't mean the guy with the big stick shouldn't swing it now and then.

Germany, Italy and Japan are allies now because we did it right back then.

Am I going to fight? If I were 20 I would. Are my kids? that's up to them.

Liberals can sit back and wish things would solve themselves or pass stupid laws like worthless gun control and then pretend the issue is solved but it doesn't work out like that.

Yea, this thread got off topic in a way, but in a way it did not. Maybe this vote was the last burst of energy from a doomed civilized western world weakened by liberalism and put out of it's misery by Islamic terrorist or maybe it was the beginning of a resurrection. Time will tell.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #18 - 06/24/16 at 13:36:51

pg wrote on 06/24/16 at 13:04:52:
Does this mean Nigel Farage is vindicated?  

Best regards,

Not sure, but I think he can now use a transgender bathroom, I guess  Cheesy

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 06/24/16 at 13:39:07

Only for those who are sane and intellectually honest.

For those who have laughed at him and called him a lunatic to reverse course and admit the obvious would require them to admit to themselves that they were wrong... and that ain't happnin.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #20 - 06/24/16 at 17:02:23

I am surprised Cameron resigned.  Perhaps someone on the other side of the pond could elaborate?

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #21 - 06/24/16 at 20:06:29

This doomsday financial forecast reminds me of a oil tanker spill, where the cost of gasoline goes up immediately  Shocked
What a great time to buy their pound!
I am mostly in bonds anymore, which rose today.

Weird how just one player can freak out so many.
I don't feel this is as bad as our meltdown 8 years ago, I got hit in that pretty good, and it took years to recover....
Still haven't seen the same gusto since, but slow and steady still is progress, but like I said, I am mostly in bonds now, and thats always slow and steady anyway  Grin

Folks, if you think the spending can just keep up, you are seriously delusional, it can't.
I can't support my neighbors who choose to party on, and not attend to their future, neither can countries, they have to say NO, and make others get out of the wagon and pull, its that simple....
Get use to this, it will happen here next!

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Violent_Rage

Burp!

Trento - Italy
Reply #22 - 06/25/16 at 02:14:26

verslagen1 wrote on 06/24/16 at 10:19:20:
If computers ever get to powerful, we'll form them into a committee and that will do them in.
and...
If ever a democracy finds out it can vote itself wealth, it's soon doomed to destruction.

heavily redacted and paraphrased by my mental committee (see inside out)

Interesting point of view!
I have always thought that in a democracy, the people were aware of the opportunity to vote for their own health and wealth. Maybe that's what they want us to believe...

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 06/25/16 at 03:52:51

Here's an excellent article (with a great title) that intentionally or not, ties directly into the Trump appeal.

Perhaps the US will soon follow our British cousins, push open the door and walk away from our jailers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/this-was-the-day-the-british-peopl...

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 06/25/16 at 04:17:14

Here's another interesting point from different article. Some of this is inside British baseball so to speak and we miss the nuisances of it, but some of it is perfectly clear.

It's what I've seen in manufacturing facilities I go to for work. Line workers, traditionally Democratic voters, are sporting Trump stickers alongside their hated plant managers and engineers. Billionaire Trump whose daddy gave him a million dollar loan has  somehow connected with a huge portion of Hilary's voting block.

More than 17 million voters opted for Leave yesterday, and yet to take their opponents at face value would be to conclude that this vast and diverse coalition of citizens was little more than a revanchist, hate-filled, antediluvian rump. It is certainly the case that the center-right opted overwhelmingly for exit. But it is notable that the election was won not on the playing fields of Eton or in the leafy gardens of England’s Home Counties, but in the industrial Northeast and the blue-collar Midlands. Indeed, as the Mirror and others have observed, Leave’s margin was provided not by a surfeit of conservatives, but by working-class social democrats who traditionally vote Labour but whose concerns are increasingly out of sync with the rest of their party. (This, incidentally, is another reason that Parliament could not get away with ignoring the result of the referendum: Because UKIP is nipping at Labour’s heels throughout the country — and because there is strong anti-EU sentiment among at least a third of Labour voters — the Labour party’s leadership knows that to sign onto any coup would be to sign its own electoral death warrant.)

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/437082/brexit-uk-eu-referendum-vote-beg...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 06/25/16 at 06:34:08

People want freedom. Once they realize that they can't trust government to make their lives work out, they shoulder that burden and move on. I wish Americans would see..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #26 - 06/25/16 at 07:36:32

WebsterMark wrote on 06/25/16 at 04:17:14:
Here's another interesting point from different article. Some of this is inside British baseball so to speak and we miss the nuisances of it, but some of it is perfectly clear.

It's what I've seen in manufacturing facilities I go to for work. Line workers, traditionally Democratic voters, are sporting Trump stickers alongside their hated plant managers and engineers. Billionaire Trump whose daddy gave him a million dollar loan has  somehow connected with a huge portion of Hilary's voting block.

More than 17 million voters opted for Leave yesterday, and yet to take their opponents at face value would be to conclude that this vast and diverse coalition of citizens was little more than a revanchist, hate-filled, antediluvian rump. It is certainly the case that the center-right opted overwhelmingly for exit. But it is notable that the election was won not on the playing fields of Eton or in the leafy gardens of England’s Home Counties, but in the industrial Northeast and the blue-collar Midlands. Indeed, as the Mirror and others have observed, Leave’s margin was provided not by a surfeit of conservatives, but by working-class social democrats who traditionally vote Labour but whose concerns are increasingly out of sync with the rest of their party. (This, incidentally, is another reason that Parliament could not get away with ignoring the result of the referendum: Because UKIP is nipping at Labour’s heels throughout the country — and because there is strong anti-EU sentiment among at least a third of Labour voters — the Labour party’s leadership knows that to sign onto any coup would be to sign its own electoral death warrant.)

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/437082/brexit-uk-eu-referendum-vote-beg...

Mark, I work at the biggest union employed company in the state....
The union itself, has lost the hold on its membership.
Members are telling stewards they do not want their union backing the same old candidates anymore.
They are looking at the waste of money in the union itself, as these jobs pay way more than their talent, need, and go to insiders only....

It has become a little more vocal, and demonstrative, as the company this week even had to circulate a company wide memo re: political activity at work, and even asked that you wear no attire with company logo's, etc, if you engage in these activities on your own time elsewhere too.

Lots of Trump supporters, not sure if its a majority or not, but its a game changer for sure.

NOTE: We had a major contract vote a few years ago.
It was very vocal and often heated. Our company has its own police force, so to speak, and they were called in many times.
The "pro" union view was defeated by the rank and file vote.
The union challenged their own rules, took on their own membership, and sorta proved democracy in their eyes only works when the results are what they want.....
It was ugly.
They didn't stage a sit in, but petulant behavior ensued, with threats, name calling, and forecast of doom.....

Gee, that sounds familiar, eh   Grin

PS: I sat it out because the vote really didn't effect me. I knew I would be retiring, and not held to this contact.
I let those who had a stake, decide....
I even caught chit from some when I told them I would not vote, either way, years of a working friendship abandoned instantly.
Like I said, it was ugly.

The mob mentality reminded me of the anger I saw in those who were "forced" into sobriety programs by loved ones, or the courts.....

They were so enraged by it, they could never see the "possibilities" that awaited them, if they availed themselves, to these programs, freeing themselves from the bonds ( dependency )  that kept them in servitude....

It was so sad, but when you saw the "light go on" and they became happy and productive and ACCOUNTABLE to themselves, it was wonderful and made it all worth it!  Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #27 - 06/25/16 at 08:52:57

The union challenged their own rules, took on their own membership, and sorta proved democracy in their eyes only works when the results are what they want.....
It was ugly.

That does sound familiar.. And a lot like what I have been trying to get people to see. It's all Good when someone else can be forced into Agreeing because you were willing to get the government to put a boot heel on their necks. The day is coming when all this PC crap comes to an end. I suspect that it will be accompanied by a backlash, taking us Past just ending the PC and going into hard right territory. We shall see..

The entitled few have been parasitically using the People, and the discomfort is about bigger than we can bear. It's liable to get ugly.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 06/25/16 at 20:11:27

in honor of Brexit, I had a few Boddingtons ales tonight.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #29 - 06/26/16 at 07:23:55

Way to boost the economy... Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged