Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
No first gear after engine partial dissasembly (Read 207 times)
mastercarstech
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

No first gear after engine partial dissasembly
06/21/16 at 21:06:25

Hey guys! This bikes a 86 with the 4 speed trans. It was a total basket case when I bought it, the engine was in the frame but the stator cover and a bunch of other parts were in a box when I got it. It took me almost 3 years off and on and a ton of repairs before I finally got it running. I did take the clutch cover, shifter cover and mechanism, and as I said the stator cover was already off. I did it to clean it up and reseal as much as I could before I put it back together. Now it runs pretty good and rides fairly well except it won't go into first gear, feels like when trying to downshift that it's at the end of the shift pattern even though it only goes to neutral. When up shifting from neutral it grinds a bit before it'll go into second gear. Shifting to third gear is fine and shifting to fourth gear sometimes will go right in and sometimes it doesn't want to go at all. I was running Mobil 1 v twin oil but will be switching to 15w 40 Rotella t5.
I pulled the shifter mechanism back off to see if maybe I didn't get it lined up right when I put it together but didn't see anything obvious.
Any thoughts on what I should look for? Unfortunately it didn't run when I got it so I have no idea if this is self inflicted or was a preexisting problem.
Oh, I also installed a 4inch forward control set up but don't think that's the problem but I could be wrong.
Sorry for the long post but wanted to give as much info as I could. Thanks in advance! Shocked

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: No first gear after engine partial dissasembly
Reply #1 - 06/21/16 at 21:11:03

maybe just the position of the shifter arm, should be pointed straight down.
and since you can't get it into 1st, it may only be off 1 tooth.
I had this problem once and it was a long time ago.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 06/22/16 at 06:04:43

Congratulations , you've been further into the engine than most.
If it's self inflicted , you're not going to be laughed at.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/22/16 at 13:41:11

I agree, check the position of the arm and also the forward control.  You should have the same amount of "throw" for upshifts and downshifts and it should be the same for all gears.  I the throw is off for only certain gears, then you'll need to split the cases and make sure the pins on the drum are properly seated.  This is highly unlikely if the cases have never been split.

If all else fails, pick up a bottom end.   I have a used 87 4 speed bottom end for sale in classifieds.  Or PM me.

IP Logged
mastercarstech
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/22/16 at 21:12:35

Ok, hope to get back to work on it this weekend as I'm waiting on a new stator, yah, that went bad too.
Thinking about upgrading to a 5 speed if I have to replace the bottom end. Are any of the years not compatability to my 86? What else might I need to change?
Thanks.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 06/22/16 at 21:14:04

Someone who knows will come along..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 06/22/16 at 21:54:31

If you change to a 5 spd, you'll need to keep the 4 spd rotor as it's timed to the cdi.

WWW   IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #7 - 06/22/16 at 22:18:00

Usually a shifting issue is a bent shift fork or worn shift drum or clutch out of adjustment.  
I have a 5 speed bottom end for sale for $90.00 plus shipping. Should be a easy swap out with your top end and side covers. There may be a issue with the rotor so you would just have to swap with your rotor. They have diff part numbers so I assume it's a timing issue with the TDI unit.

Let me know,
Don

IP Logged
mastercarstech
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/23/16 at 09:14:45

Thanks Don definately considering it. Might a winter project though. Wanna get some riding in before summers over. Seems they keep getting shorter up here in Northeast Ohio!  Cool

IP Logged
mastercarstech
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/23/16 at 12:32:03

Hey, if anyone has a link to like a YouTube video of how the sequential shift mechanism is supposed to work I'd greatly appreciate it. It's always easier to fix what I did wrong if I know how it's supposed to work normally. Lol

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 06/23/16 at 14:57:30

suzuki motorcycle sequential shift mechanism

Not to be a snot, though I Am imminently qualified whether I have a sinus problem or not, I ran that through a search engine and saw stuff I would study if I was in the same trouble you're in. You've done pretty dang good, hope you win it.

You don't know why it was torn down, do you?
You Might be chasing the problem that the seller had.

IP Logged
mastercarstech
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 06/24/16 at 09:54:38

Justin, as far as the engine goes, just the stator cover had been taken off and put back on loosely when I got it. Guy said it wouldn't crank and probably just needed a starter. Guy never should've been allowed to own a tool, he definately did more damage than good to it. After I got into it to find out what the real problem was, I found it had busted the boss in the case for the starter gear and the stator cover had a hairline Crack in it, I think from someone trying to shove it together without having everything lined up properly.
That was as far as he went into the engine, thank God. The rest of the bike, well,  let's just say there might be 1 or 2 wires I didn't replace because practically every wire harness was melted to a crisp. Lol

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 06/24/16 at 10:04:36

mastercarstech wrote on 06/24/16 at 09:54:38:
Justin, as far as the engine goes, just the stator cover had been taken off and put back on loosely when I got it. Guy said it wouldn't crank and probably just needed a starter. Guy never should've been allowed to own a tool, he definately did more damage than good to it. After I got into it to find out what the real problem was, I found it had busted the boss in the case for the starter gear and the stator cover had a hairline Crack in it, I think from someone trying to shove it together without having everything lined up properly.
That was as far as he went into the engine, thank God. The rest of the bike, well,  let's just say there might be 1 or 2 wires I didn't replace because practically every wire harness was melted to a crisp. Lol

The 4 spds have a problem with the starter because of the 1way clutch they use.
On shutdown, if the piston comes up on the compression stroke, it will reverse the engine and engage the starter with enough force to break teeth or bust out the bosses for the starter gears.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 06/24/16 at 10:15:50

Sounds like you would have been ahead to sell the labor hours to someone else and buy a bike, but, I understand that it's not just about the dollars and cents, but about the challenge of saving the poor thing...
You're up to speed on the starter gear swap, right?

That was as far as he went into the engine, thank God.

He figured out he was in over his head a bit late,  

I don't know how to actually help you, but I can cheer for you..
I have the equivalent of an associate's degree in electronics, fixed copiers and cash registers for seven years, and I don't want anything to do with repairing a melted harness... No Thanks..

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 06/24/16 at 10:50:06

It could be when PO was reassembling the side cover he placed the washer on the wrong starter gear ,then tried to force on the cover causing it to crack,it"s been done before as the washer will fit on either gear,but jams them and could account for some of your wires doing a meltdown.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:24:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › No first gear after engine partial dissasembly

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.