YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Re: Three-year plan
Reply #30 - 06/21/16 at 20:41:54

Ruttly wrote on 06/21/16 at 05:51:03:
youngde811
Just want you to enjoy your bike and life now. Guess I flipped out alittle over the 3 year plan thing. I can be alittle rough around the edges at times. Ride that bike every chance you get short or long runs , day or night just ride. Percentage is always high in your first year of having a crash but it drops dramatically every year after that. So send us a post when you get somewhere. Don't forget the ENSURE, I like the chocolate one got hooked after a surgery , full of vitamins & proteins. CHEERS !

Will do Ruttly. And you're right about riding a lot and shortening the date of my planned trip. Thanks for encouragement!

david

IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Reply #31 - 06/21/16 at 21:20:43

youngde811,

I wouldn't be too eager to start riding with big groups of bikes if you are fairly new to riding.  Probably 1/2 of the motorcycle accidents around here involve someone getting tangled up with another bike during a group ride.   I find 2 or 3 other riders to be plenty.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #32 - 06/21/16 at 22:33:01

Suzuki finally killed off the S series v twin cruisers a few years ago. Way beyond when they should have. The cartoon Intruders (700-1400) were pure unadulterated garbage. Buried carburetor and airbox for each cylinder. Need to clean a carb or change a jet, pull the engine. Hidden electrical switch, in the transmission, guaranteed to fail, pull the engine to find/change it. And hope against hope that you guessed right, there is a full 1/4 mile of wiring on those rolling abortions.

Have speed bumps in your area, the battery box gets high centered. Drags and gets torn apart. Changing the battery is about as easy as a do it yourself (while drunk) root canal.

The 800 came with fixed position handlebar-riser interface. Requires serious grinding to allow bar position changes or bar swap.

If you want a 1983 Honda Shadow that badly, buy one, as they were 10x the bike any year 700-1400 Intruder was.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #33 - 06/21/16 at 23:20:52

WD,

The most reliable bikes that I have ever owned were Honda Shadows.

Change the oil and tires every now and then and the spark plugs once every five years or so and just ride them.

I wish Honda made a big single in the Universal Japanese Motorcycle format with carburetion, a chain drive, a counter balanced engine and a center stand. If they liquid cooled it I wouldn't object. LOL Roll Eyes

Kenny G

IP Logged
Kruzader

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Stockon, CA
Reply #34 - 06/22/16 at 00:19:49

Not super experienced, but throwing my 2 cents to the topic.

I've had my S40 for 4 months now, and put about 800 miles on it. With no experienced before I spent the first month riding around my court for about a month, eventually to the market, home depot, accross the bridge, to work. Then one day I took off to the capital 100+ miles alone.

I ride it to work 2  to 3 days a week... and did a poker run (group run) where i found myself riding in the highway above 70, for the first time. And later on the same trip I rode in the rain (which sucks!)

Moral of the story, you will know when your ready. I made several mistakes, and learned by not repeating them.

Now I get on my bike and feel pretty comfortable understanding what is capable to my skills.

My plan is similar to yours, except that it relies more on a one to one year an a half.

p.s. I also joined an AMA motorcycle club which put me in a community surrounded by nutheads like me that love bike and riding.

...finally I agree, take short trips plan what you need to take, and what you need to do and look after... with time it will be second nature.

When you need something and have limited resources be creative.

2005 Boulevard S40 - Elevation 13'
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #35 - 06/22/16 at 06:58:30

Learn to tie knots. Packing up and not knowing how to tie stuff must be hard. A bowline is a great knot, super easy to tie and untie, never lets go. Using half hitches to hold tension.
If interested but need explanation, just say the word..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 12:21:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Three-year plan

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.