Three-year plan (Read 338 times)
youngde811
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Three-year plan
06/19/16 at 20:09:24

Hi all. This is a riding question rather than mechanical, and is also a bit subjective.

I've had my S40 for almost two years now (bought it new), with about 14 months of riding. I just finished my MSF BRC and got my endorsement, so I'm finished with that part. I've devised a "three-year plan": two years getting as much saddle time on my S40 as possible, riding in traffic, practicing slow-speed maneuvers, etc. Then, upgrade to a larger bike, spend a year training on that and then plan a group trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway in VA (I'm in Raleigh, NC).

So what do you all think? Is three years a reasonable amount of training time before taking a long bike trip? For background, I'm 57 and the S40 is my first bike. No riding experience beforehand.

Thanks much.

David

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Three-year plan
Reply #1 - 06/19/16 at 20:20:17

I'd say mileage, knowledge and attitude is more important than time. If YOU feel comfortable then go for it!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 06/19/16 at 20:25:21

Upgrade? Different, bigger, an Upgrade is , as you say, subjective.
The Plan is a very responsible, smart approach. Maybe Too much so.
If you are planning a long trip, id suggest you take a trip to the nearest campground and spend the night. Learn to pack, and what you need before you head out. Shakedown cruise.
What are you calling a
Long trip?
Solo?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 06/19/16 at 20:41:09

What JOG said,Plan ahead,but you should know riding in a group takes some practice and can be more dangerous,(one loose nut can get you hurt!)If you think 57 is old I 'm 68 ,my last trip was  2100 miles ,new York to tenn. and back , 4days, solo, two years ago,on my 95 savage.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 06/20/16 at 03:52:08

I am not sure that a bigger bike is an advantage on a trip to the Dragon.  Small and nimble is a key feature of the Savage, and the big single reduces the need to shift often.

I would suggest you keep the Savage long enough to do a group ride.....then decide if you really want a bigger bike.  Bigger and smaller bikes to show up on the trips to the mountains.....I just got back from a ride and I went 911 miles riding my 250 Ninja.  A relatively new rider will have more fun if they are not wrestling around an 800 pound motorcycle!  We tend to go to the tight twisty roads whenever possible....and the Savage is a great bike to have on those roads.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #5 - 06/20/16 at 04:36:57

Go for the big ride as soon as you feel ready. Just ride within your own limits and you'll be fine.

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #6 - 06/20/16 at 05:53:24

I you are riding a lot, I would consider this more of a 3 month plan, not a 3 year plan. You can get familiar and comfortable with a specific bike pretty quickly. The only thing left is how to handle a real traffic emergency. However, those are hard to plan for. You could ride for 3 years and never encounter such a situation. In that case, you would not be getting 3 year's experience, you would be getting 3 month's experience 12 times over.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 06/20/16 at 08:36:32

youngde811 wrote on 06/19/16 at 20:09:24:
Hi all. This is a riding question rather than mechanical, and is also a bit subjective.

I've had my S40 for almost two years now (bought it new), with about 14 months of riding. I just finished my MSF BRC and got my endorsement, so I'm finished with that part. I've devised a "three-year plan": two years getting as much saddle time on my S40 as possible, riding in traffic, practicing slow-speed maneuvers, etc. Then, upgrade to a larger bike, spend a year training on that and then plan a group trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway in VA (I'm in Raleigh, NC).

So what do you all think? Is three years a reasonable amount of training time before taking a long bike trip? For background, I'm 57 and the S40 is my first bike. No riding experience beforehand.

Thanks much.

David

If you rode with us at one of our dragon ralleys, you'd quickly learn that even though we all (mostly) ride the same bike, there's a wide range of riding... let's call it attitude.  From the gxsr chasing grandpa, to the scooter boy.  And experience ranges from a few years to a lifetime.  So your current ride is quite capable of doing it if you are.  The only limits are the gas tank and the seat.

So, 14 months, what does that mean? How many miles?  Residential/City/Hiway/Freeway?

WWW   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #8 - 06/20/16 at 09:41:29

Hello younde811. I figured I would chime in as I am still a relative newbie starting my fifth year of riding and at 58 basically the same age as you.

First point - at the Dragon or any such roads you will be very happy on S40

Second point - on the highway you will probably prefer a more powerful bike if you like to ride fast. But the S40 will do 70 mph all day long

Last point - feeling comfortable with your own riding skills is a very subjective. However, if you can be objective in evaluating your skills and overall riding comfort then you will know if you are ready to go on the long trip. I have done a few road trips and I love it.

Good luck to you. Smiley

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
SugarBoogers

I love cheese!

Haverhill MA
Reply #9 - 06/20/16 at 09:47:56

I think you should borrow a big bike and see if you like highway riding with one. Personally, highway speeds are high for me and I have to trust the other drivers too much for me to feel comfortable. I'm not sure I'd like a heavier bike. YMMV

How do you remove a club soda stain?
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 06/20/16 at 10:18:44

Verslagen makes a good point.....it really depends on how quickly you catch on and become a competent rider.  Some folks can buy a bike and within a year they are racing.....others are still riding around in their subdivision trying to build their skills and confidence.  It has a lot to do with how quickly you can become coordinated....so that riding becomes just as natural to you as walking or driving a car.  Using the clutch, shifter, front and rear brakes, steering, etc. has to become automatic for you........and you have to learn how to handle changing conditions instantly.  On any ride you are likely to encounter stuff in the road, traffic, animals, slippery pavement, rain, wind, etc.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #11 - 06/20/16 at 12:21:40

Pack your crap up and go now
3 year plan , who thought that up
Change the oil and go
You will have way more fun on that S40 than a " big bike"
Don't be such a wuss just go

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Reply #12 - 06/20/16 at 12:21:51

Ive done trip from NJ to Sky Line drive on the savage just fine no need for bigger bike, but if that's what you want its what you want.

A buddy actually asked to ride my bike because he was not having fun on his 1800 in the mountains, so we switched for a bit but I promptly asked for my bike back and he was reluctant to give it back lol.

In progress bob : Z bars, Versy Adjuster, Drag pipes, Biltwell Slimline seat, Mini Batt, KN Filter, 454 front pulley mod.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #13 - 06/20/16 at 12:31:39

Must be a slow learner
Got that oil changed yet ?
3 years ?
Really ?
My first week on a motorcycle I got chased by a bull and then shot at by the farmer!
Pack your crap and ride !!!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #14 - 06/20/16 at 12:36:49

I once thought I wanted a bigger bike than the S40. Glad I was talked out of it by the gang here because I knowing what I know now, I would have regretted it.

Don't make decisions on getting a bigger bike because your buddies with bigger bikes tell you you should. If they have never ridden an S40 for a while, then they aren't qualified to make that statement.

Ride the S40 wherever you want and you'll be surprised how happy you'll be. Plus, you can work on your bike if needed.  Most of the guys with the big bike's have to pay big bucks and wait several days for things we can do in 15 minutes for free.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 14:34:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Three-year plan

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.