Exhaust port goop (Read 170 times)
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Exhaust port goop
06/19/16 at 08:02:00

I'm going to try some of this stuff on my sacrificial head to smooth out some of the crazy bad transitions in the exhaust port. A few of the guys on the chassis design forum mentioned it. Haven't tried it yet. $30 and a little bead blasting. Not a big risk.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/man-40180

-Armen

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Exhaust port goop
Reply #1 - 06/19/16 at 08:31:51

That's pricey epoxy,... considering it has only one good review and one really bad one... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #2 - 06/19/16 at 09:09:12

The guys from the chassis forum usually know their stuff.
Summit usually carries good products.
Online reviews aren't worth the paper they're not written on.
If it holds up to exhaust heat, it's worth the $30.
I've used JB Weld on intake ports with not problems, but don't think it'll hold up to exhaust heat.
In the grand scheme of things, $30 to gain better flow is a deal. I'll be spending hours on this head. I never bill out at less than a dollar a minute, so the value of my time is way more than the cost of the goop.
YMMV

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #3 - 06/19/16 at 09:18:03

I have to assume that you are doing quite a bit of machining to remove the factory cast restrictions in the exuast port.   I'd be interested in seeing your final result.    

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #4 - 06/19/16 at 09:25:40

Well, after I soak and blast all the crud out, I'll get in there with a die grinder and make is as polite as possible. Admittedly, hard to do with the depth of the valve spring seats.
So, I'm hoping the goop will help me ease the transitions. It ain't going to be great. I'm just hoping for less horrible.
This month in Cycle World Kevin Cameron talks about the work the legendary Kenny Augustine did on a set of XR750 heads. He found that the ex ports were so bad it was hindering flow so much he couldn't move more air through the engine.
If it doesn't help, at least I tried.
-Armen

Savage_ex_port.JPG

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/19/16 at 09:56:59

Is the goal to streamline the approach to the lump in the way of the exhaust gas stream?

I agree that JB Weld won't hang in the heat of That kitchen.
I have some high temperature epoxy that cost considerably more. But, exhaust gas temperature is way too high, even for it.

Excerpt

Ooopsies,,, looks like I got the whole thing...

Mmmkay , this is a hot rod engine, so, probably higher compression and generally hotter, but I don't see how a resin mix is gonna survive in a stream of hot gas. Might get soft and shoot it like a gooey spitwad into your exhaust... the result of which would probably be a pretty quick and noticeable decrease in exhaust gas flow,, if ya get my drift.

I'm not seeing better than six hundred degree stuff.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/additional-how-to/1504-when-do-gas-exhaust-tempe...

When Do Exhaust Gas Temperatures Become A Cause For Concern?When Do Exhaust Gas Temperatures Become A Cause For Concern?The All Wheel Drive 2.7L Ecoboost 2017 Ford Fusion Is Packing 325HP & 380 Lb-Ft!Vintage Inlines Launches to Continue Helping Inline-Six EnthusiastsMore Cars and Pics From Lambrecht Chevrolet - Hot Rod Magazine Blog
Hot Rod » Additional How To
When Do Exhaust Gas Temperatures Become A Cause For Concern?
Written by Marlan Davis on March 5, 2015
Contributors: Holley/Weiand
When Do Exhaust Gas Temperatures Become A Cause For Concern? View All 3 Photos
SHARE THIS ARTICLE
FACEBOOK      TWITTER      GOOGLE+      EMAIL      
Q:
I have a 1940 Ford four-door pickup street rod with a 1974 Corvette four-bolt-main 350 and a 700-R4 transmission. I had the engine bored 0.030-over and totally rebuilt. It has a mild Edelbrock cam, hydraulic lifters, and a geardrive. It has ceramic-coated headers. I am concerned some cylinders are running hot. When the engine has warmed up, using my infrared thermometer I get these readings on the header tubes at idle:
Cylinder No. 1      300 degrees F.
Cylinder No. 2      300 degrees F.
Cylinder No. 3      530 degrees F.
Cylinder No. 4      450 degrees F.
Cylinder No. 5      360 degrees F.
Cylinder No. 6      470 degrees F.
Cylinder No. 7      350 degrees F.
Cylinder No. 8      390 degrees F.
I have three cylinders running hotter than the others. I have asked several mechanics and one engine builder what could cause this, but none has an answer. Maybe this is nothing to be concerned about?

Hal Bennett

Spotify Premium For $0.99
Play Any Artist, Album or Playlist. Try 3 Months of Premium for $0.99. See www.Spotify.com
A:
You’re right, it’s nothing to be concerned about. At-idle exhaust gas temperature (EGT) readings on a gasoline-fueled motor just aren’t accurate. “No-load EGT temperature readings are meaningless,” proclaims engine builder Ken Duttweiler. That’s because fuel metering is still controlled by the idle system, so the fuel dispersal pattern and distribution isn’t at all uniform, and thus not indicative of what the engine sees under running conditions. “There needs to be air/fuel movement, so you can’t expect equal EGTs at idle,” explains Westech Performance’s Steve Brulé. “At that point, the fuel is just dribbling in through the carb’s idle transfer slot; there’s no real atomization.” In other words, temp readings need to be taken under load—at least at a steady-state, light-throttle, 3,000 rpm for no less than 30 seconds; even better would be at wide-open-throttle (WOT). Either way, realistically, that requires an engine or chassis dyno.
But even under load, gross EGT readings are affected by so many different factors that they should not be considered a primary reliable tuning aid. First, the ceramic coating on the headers throws off the reading; you really want actual in-tube gas temperatures, which means thermocouples on every tube. Second, the readings need to be taken at the same distance on each tube relative to the exhaust flange. Third, even if the measurements are taken at the same distance from the flange, bends in the tubes will change the readings: The tighter the bend, the higher the observed temperature. Fourth, the observed temperatures can vary due to many factors, including intake manifold design, carburetor tuning, and ignition timing. For example, adding more ignition advance reduces EGT, because the mixture is burning earlier. Leaning out the carburetor raises EGT. And intake manifold runners on a single four-barrel intake are not all the same length. To a large extent, when reading actual temperatures, you need to have prior experience of what was previously considered “normal” for the particular combination. On that basis, EGT deviations from the known, good baseline would indicate a need for further investigation.

The New Buick® Sedans
Sleek, Stylish & Ready to Move You. Visit Buick.com to See Photos Today See Buick.com/Photos_Buick_Sedan
Having said that, according to Brulé, the “correct” EGT is the temperature at which your engine is making its best power over the duration of time and rpm it will be running at. Every engine combo’s slightly different, so engine builders are often reluctant to quote exact numbers. If you pin him down, Duttweiler will quote, 900–1,000 degrees on the outside of the tube at 3,000 rpm after 30 seconds under load. “Coated headers may be 200–300 degrees cooler, so figure about 700 degrees with them. As for WOT readings, on a gasoline, normally aspirated engine, I consider 1,200–1,300 degrees normal; add another 300–400 degrees on a boosted engine. If I see a 400-degree disparity between the range of cylinders, it would be a concern.” Brulé adds, “If you see 800 degrees or 1,700 degrees on a naturally aspirated engine at WOT, obviously, that’s out of the ballpark. Remember, wide open is where these things become critical.”

WOW!!!!! You found a serious product...

Manley Miracle Seal Epoxy
This two part adhesive is best for repairing exhaust ports and any other parts that are subject to high temperatures up to 1350 degrees. Can be sanded after curing. Mixing sticks included.

That just might work out. Have you considered building a framework, like rebar, or using a mesh, like a stainless steel scrubbie to help it stay together?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #6 - 06/19/16 at 10:27:21

Don't take much off the hump just make it smooth , the head isnt very thick right there , too thin there it will cook the oil in the pocket by valve springs , concentrate removal at outlet and just below valve seats , round off all sharp edges in combustion chamber to reduce detonation , on intake side area just below valve seats at smooth casting flaws , you really don't need to bondo anything

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #7 - 06/19/16 at 10:29:49

Thanks for the hint. I'll see it clearer when I get all the carbon off. Luckily I have a head that ate a valve and can be sacrificed.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 06/19/16 at 11:41:54

Have you considered shaping it a bit like a wing?
I played with the sleeve on an Enya 35, shaped it, trying to drive the charge into the cylinder better. I think it helped.

Knowing how far from coil bound the springs are with the cam driving the valve to
Full open
Could be good. If you have some room you might be able to shift the mass to protect the oil upwards and gain a sixteenth or an eighth.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #9 - 06/19/16 at 12:01:46

I should have taken pics of mine , it turned out very nice and it hauls ass . But it breathes very nice no hesitation no coughing or farting/popping all nice smooth usable power.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #10 - 06/19/16 at 12:04:05

Ruttly,
Did you open up the restriction at the outlet side? Match the ID of the header pipe?
thanks,
-Armen

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 06/19/16 at 12:27:13

I think your in trouble if your using epoxy in the exhaust ,it starts softening at 140 degrees,If you read the reviews it said it was used on the intake manifold ,a whole different animal.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 06/19/16 at 12:30:08

Manley Miracle Seal Epoxy
This two part adhesive is best for repairing exhaust ports and any other parts that are subject to high temperatures up to 1350 degrees. Can be sanded after curing. Mixing sticks included.

I missed what you are saying.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #13 - 06/19/16 at 12:51:54

Yes I removed that entire ring . I left the gasket in port for sizing and to protect gasket area from slip ups with dremel type grinder . That is the worst exhaust port I've ever seen I just had to have my way with it . It may have lost some low end torque from the porting but it's smooth and it's fast . Super fun to ride but the brakes suck,working on that !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 06/19/16 at 13:08:37

Rear lockup ?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 14:26:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust port goop

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.