Send Topic Print
Start With Key Wiring (Read 162 times)
Jeremy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Philadelphia
Start With Key Wiring
06/18/16 at 04:29:07

Getting closer to wiring up my stripped down Savage and I'm trying to use an automotive style ignition switch to start the bike instead of a button.

The switch I bought is self-grounded and has 4 terminals on the back...  Bat, Acc, St, and Ign.  Just want to make sure I have this right before I jump in.  

I've got a printout of the stock wiring diagram, but I'm basing my wiring off of the "Simplified / Chopper Wiring Diagram" found here...  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1173898705

Does this look correct?

Bat - connects into the starter relay, which is connected to the battery.

Acc - all the stuff needing power is connected here (headlight, signals, etc)

St - connects into the decomp controller, which is connected to the starter relay.

Ign - connects into the regulator / rectifier.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Re: Start With Key Wiring
Reply #1 - 06/18/16 at 15:30:20

Not sure what a 'self-grounding' switch is.
Of the 4 terminals, a little clarification....
Many starter solenoids have a main fuse sitting next to them. The key switch would get it's juice (positive feed) from the fused side of this.
I get it that the 'start' position would go to the start relay and decomp control.
I'm assuming this is an automotive style 'momentary on' starter switch?
Not sure why you have some stuff on the 'ign' terminal and some on the 'Acc' terminal.
If you wanted to make the key switch a headlight switch as well, then put the headlight, tail light, and instrument lights onto the 'Acc' position, then the bike would start without the lights (a little more cranking juice), and you'd then turn the bike to the 'Acc' position and ride.
Just run the ignition on the 'Ign' terminal.
I'd run fuses downstream of the key switch to both of those.
You are getting juice from the battery and/or regulator rectifier to the key switch. It then goes to the ignition, and when you want, the lights.
To further simplify, you can put a toggle switch on the headlight bucket to switch between lo and high beams.
With no turn signals, all that would be left on the handlebars would be the horn button (connected to the 'Acc' lead if you run with the lights on all the time). Use the key as a kill switch.
And you can take it a step further, and ditch the decompression crap. Just use one of the manual ones like RYCA sells. Might get a bit tricky using the hand-job ones, as you'd be turning the key with one hand, and holding the decomp with the other. Really tricky if you stalled in gear Roll Eyes
-Armen

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Jeremy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Philadelphia
Reply #2 - 06/19/16 at 06:48:14

Yeah, it's an automotive style switch.  Off / On / Start, with a spring loaded return to On.

I was basing my wiring off of this generic diagram...

Planning on using a Posh Mini toggle switch for the headlight.  Not sure about turn signals yet.  Planning to mount the ignition switch underneath the seat.  

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #3 - 06/19/16 at 07:55:14

Are there 2 'on' positions? One for just running and one for running with lights?

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #4 - 06/19/16 at 07:58:37

On the older cars, there was an 'Acc' position which energized lights, radio, etc, but not ignition. This looks like one of those. Poke around with a continuity meter. If that is the case, run the ignition on the 'Acc' leg, so that the bike can run in that position, then add the other stuff to the 'Ign' leg. This way you canon with no lights (if you want), or at least let it warm up without the lighting load and charge at idle.

IP Logged
Jeremy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Philadelphia
Reply #5 - 06/19/16 at 08:32:43

Yup, off position, on position, and momentary start.

I'm assuming if you move the key to On without going to the third "momentary start", it'll power the lights and stuff.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #6 - 06/19/16 at 09:04:29

If it is just the 3 positions-off/on/start, then it doesn't much matter what you wire all the non-starter stuff to.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #7 - 06/19/16 at 09:14:23

You sure about that? The blueprint seems to say 4 positions. Off/Acc/run/start

IP Logged
Jeremy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Philadelphia
Reply #8 - 06/19/16 at 11:48:58

D'oh! I'll have to look at the actual switch again.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 06/19/16 at 21:28:26

A 3 position switch only energizes the ignition system and starter (solenoid if so equipped). Requires a separate start button/pedal/knob.

You want the generic 60A 4 position heavy duty switch. Run a 20A circuit breaker or fuse between battery and switch. Wire the starter solenoid to ign post, everything else to the run post. If you get confused, the wiring diagram for a Slant 6 Dodge engine is close enough, post 1974 with electronic ignition only. A post 1973 Ford diagram works as well.

Easiest way? Buy the mc specific switch. Check with LowBrow Customs or similar.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Jeremy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Philadelphia
Reply #10 - 06/20/16 at 06:01:49

Armen wrote on 06/19/16 at 09:14:23:
You sure about that? The blueprint seems to say 4 positions. Off/Acc/run/start

I guess it's 4 positions, but 3 physical key positions. Off, on, and the spring loaded Start.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 06/20/16 at 06:59:07

The key switch has 3 positions according to the diagram.  In the OFF position the key can be removed and nothing is connected in a circuit.  If the switch is turned 40 degrees the battery terminal is connected to the ACC & IGN teminal.  The next 40 degree rotation of the switch is spring loaded.....and the ACC & IGN stay connected - but and the starter circuit is energized until you release the the key to rotate back to the ON position.

I am really not sure why you wouldn't want to use a starter switch up on the handlebar that you can push with your thumb.....if you stall this bike at an intersection it is going to take some real gymnastics to get the bike started again.....as they are just not enough hands to hold in the clutch with your left hand, the throttle with your right hand.....and then somehow get to the key switch.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Jeremy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Philadelphia
Reply #12 - 06/20/16 at 07:27:49

Not necessarily opposed to a handlebar mounted button. Now that I've cleaned up all the mess where the battery and air box used to be, I don't have any good way to mount the stock ignition switch. The one I bought can be mounted in a hole drilled in the tray I fabbed under the seat. Figured as long as I was re-doing everything, I might as well start the bike with the key.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 06/20/16 at 12:59:04

Dave's point is valid. That you have a switch that won't do what you need is not something to let get you in an unsafe position.
What happens if you stall it on seriously uneven ground? And you screwed up and stopped in third?
You need to fire it up and get out of the way.
Left foot on the ground.
Right, working the shifter.
Left hand, clutch, and starter button
Right hand, gas and brake.

If the start button is anywhere else, you're in a bad situation.
Okay, you're going Already in a bad situation, but it just got wurser.
I hung the left peg in a pothole doing a u turn. Stalled in oncoming traffic, fired up, ran down the gears and hauled butt.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #14 - 06/20/16 at 16:29:08

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/20/16 at 12:59:04:
Left foot on the ground.
Right, working the shifter.
Left hand, clutch, and starter button
Right hand, gas and brake.

You been riding English bikes or something, JOG?  Grin

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 07:19:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Start With Key Wiring

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.