Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Got a new tire on the way ! (Read 110 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Got a new tire on the way !
06/13/16 at 07:41:57

Smiley
So a buddy of mine from Tx , who has a lot of miles on his Savage took a liking to the 880 tires some time back .   Well the Harley has wore out the Commander II in only 14,000 miles --- So --- I ordered one of these : http://www.jpcycles.com/product/693-180    last night.

The S-40 is running a 673 Kenda on the rear and the trip to Tx. left it looking still new !  Smiley

Ya , I know its a 888 not an 880     ,    this will be my first Metzeler  ...

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Got a new tire on the way !
Reply #1 - 06/13/16 at 08:56:23

14,000 miles? You don't mean Km.?
I only managed about five thousand miles..
Dunlop, even a relatively cheap tire, one gave five, but the next one, same make tire, went Three,, and they are not available as far as I know. Name escapes me.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #2 - 06/13/16 at 08:58:53

MMRanch wrote on 06/13/16 at 07:41:57:
Smiley
So a buddy of mine from Tx , who has a lot of miles on his Savage took a liking to the 880 tires some time back .   Well the Harley has wore out the Commander II in only 14,000 miles --- So --- I ordered one of these : http://www.jpcycles.com/product/693-180    last night.

The S-40 is running a 673 Kenda on the rear and the trip to Tx. left it looking still new !  Smiley

Ya , I know its a 888 not an 880     ,    this will be my first Metzeler  ...

880 is being phased out.  888 is the replacement series.

I hope you like the Metzler Marathon!  Cheesy

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 06/13/16 at 09:14:39

Nope , That was 14,000    miles on the Commander II (Harley 883) ,  I had one on the rear of my S-40 that did better than 20,000  "MILES  Smiley"  yea had 6000 miles on the 140/90-15 Commander II from my old Savage then put it on my S-40 (rim and all) and added another 15,000 + miles to it.  So at 21,000 miles-ish ,  I put the Kenda 673 on the S-40.   The factory tire on the S-40 (05) was worn and old when I got the bike , I sold it on the old Savage.  Roll Eyes

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 06/13/16 at 09:18:38

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/13/16 at 08:56:23:
14,000 miles? You don't mean Km.?.

I have ridden behind MMRanch on the trips to TN/NC, and I likely have followed him for a nearly a thousand miles.  

He rides very smoothly, and he cuts a nice gentle arc through the corners....and I hardly ever see his brake light come on!  He rides quickly - but it doesn't appear that way as he is really smooth.  MM's riding style is really easy on tires, and he has proven that he can rack up a lot of miles on a tire.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #5 - 06/13/16 at 09:37:05

Roll Eyes

Well , Thanks Dave !  Smiley   , I feel like I've been Complemented  Cool

Smooth  is good !  

I'm kinda at a lost as to why the Harley ate that tire so quickly , but hope the 888 does better .

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 06/13/16 at 11:17:39

MMRanch wrote on 06/13/16 at 09:37:05:
 Roll Eyes

I'm kinda at a lost as to why the Harley ate that tire so quickly , but hope the 888 does better .

Well.....there was that Drag Race you and I had! Wink

If you expect your Sportster tires to last as long as they do on the Savage.....it is notta'gonna' happen.  More weight, more HP, more power pulses.......it is just going to be a bit harder on tires.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #7 - 06/14/16 at 14:45:35

That Kenda sounds like it is doing good MM. I think I will put another 500 miles or so on the Shinko 712 before I put on the new Shinko 230. I will have gotten about 8K miles from the this 712, about 1K miles less that the previous 712. I guess my riding style has become a bit more aggressive. Grin

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 06/14/16 at 19:47:15

yep !   SpringMan  you been corrupted ,

You must be hanging out with a _ _ _ influence .  Roll Eyes

But it sure is FUN ain't it !  Grin

springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #9 - 06/14/16 at 21:03:31

Fun it is! Cool

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #10 - 06/15/16 at 20:47:02

Got my new tire today !  Smiley

JPCycles shipped fast .  Shocked

To my pleasant surprise the 888 is one of those tires I can sit on with-out it squatting --- the tire barley knows my 200# are on it even before its mounted .  Roll Eyes

springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #11 - 09/10/16 at 17:42:23

I changed both tires today. I put Shinko 230 tourmaster tires front and back today at 22,501 miles which means I got 8100 miles on that last Shinko 712 rear tire. Mounting and balancing for the 2 tires cost me a total of $40.00 at a bike repair shop about a mile away from me.

When I removed the front wheel I took a look at the Volar break pads I installed in late Feb of this year and they looked just fine.

I have to admit that I came close to calling somebody from the forum for help today though cause putting the back wheel back on by myself turned out to be roughly 1-1/2 hour ordeal. Previous times I had help. A third hand seemed to be required. But I finally got it done.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #12 - 09/10/16 at 21:30:37

Last Thursday night I ordered a 888 for the front of the Sportster so now it will have a matching pair , it might be a long time before I get to do a millage report on them ???   I hope so !!!  Grin

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 08:38:20

General CategoryThe Cafe › Got a new tire on the way !

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.