Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tire wear question..... (Read 181 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Tire wear question.....
06/10/16 at 13:08:23

You can look at my tire wear pattern and tell I ride pretty much straight up  Grin

The middle tread, which is/was minimal compared to the tread on the sides of the tire, much deeper, wider, etc....
The middle is now slick, maybe a inch or two wide, but great tread otherwise.
I have metzlers 880 with maybe 12000 miles or so.
Nothing visible at to how much rubber is still over the casing....
Am I still good to ride, or should I get new ones?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Tire wear question.....
Reply #1 - 06/10/16 at 13:12:58

Since you ride somewhat non-aggressively, I suppose you can continue to ride until:  1)  You begin to see a different color/texture to the rubber - which shows you are getting out of the tread rubber and into the casing rubber - or - 2) You notice the tire slipping in the wet.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/10/16 at 14:00:33

With 12K miles on it and a smooth rubber strip that might slide while braking on slippery pavement - I would replace it.  Why take a chance.

But Dave is right, you'll probably be OK.  I'm an older rider and don't have many riding years remaining so I don't like to take chances, I want to spend as much of my remaining time as possible riding, not healing so I try to minimize all the risks that are within my control.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #3 - 06/24/16 at 04:56:23

Thanks guys, I took your advice and put new rubber on.....
Had metzlers, a shop quoted me 700 for both, total, arg.
Called a shop I have used before, they didn't have those tires....
Asked their price on the best seller here in the pacnorwest, got some dunlops, like them better, and over 300 bucks cheaper!

I think the met likes a heavier bike, these tires are very responsive without slip tho

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 06/24/16 at 05:44:18

12,000 miles! Wow! Is that common for the Metzelers? I know they're a long wearing tire but 12000 miles on a mc tire is a lot.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #5 - 06/24/16 at 05:46:19

I'm glad to see that you went with new rubber. When the tires get flat spotted from highway use the bike will have some rather unfavorable handling characteristics as you transition from straight up to leaned. I'm sure you noticed an intimidate improvement.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #6 - 06/24/16 at 06:28:06

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 06/24/16 at 05:46:19:
I'm glad to see that you went with new rubber. When the tires get flat spotted from highway use the bike will have some rather unfavorable handling characteristics as you transition from straight up to leaned. I'm sure you noticed an intimidate improvement.

Yes, I don't get to road seam wiggle anymore.....
Not sure how that works, as I always have the proper air in my tires.
I guess it has to do with grip and track, but it feels much more secure, yet, the turning is easier too  Huh

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #7 - 06/24/16 at 06:31:05

Kris01 wrote on 06/24/16 at 05:44:18:
12,000 miles! Wow! Is that common for the Metzelers? I know they're a long wearing tire but 12000 miles on a mc tire is a lot.

This is the only time I had one, but I bought it on reviews, paid the premium based on not having to pay for install/tires sooner. It seemed to pencil out that it was a cost saver, IF, you ride enough to use them and NOT sell it to someone else  Grin

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 06/24/16 at 06:49:45

That is a hard accounting/financial problem to cypher.  If you buy a premium tire....will you wear it out before it gets too old (or too hard) to use up the tread - or should you go to a cheaper tire and replace it a bit more often.  Or like Oldfeller and MMRanch have done......should you go to the darkside and put on a car tire on your bike?  (You will have to mount it yourself, as I don't believe any dealer would mount a car tire on a bike rim).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 06/24/16 at 11:19:17

I've always road on dunlops they handle well even in the rain they wear out at 8/10,000 but are not priced to high. my theory is good tires,good brakes, If the bike doesn't start it can't kill you,but if it doesn't handle or stop............

« Last Edit: 06/25/16 at 20:44:26 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #10 - 06/24/16 at 11:48:26

You can't spend much time in an emergency room for the price of a premium tire.
Cheap tires are like cheap bullet-proof vests.
The last place to save money.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 06/24/16 at 14:21:27

After Easter it's simply not fashionable to be wearing a whitewall.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #12 - 06/24/16 at 19:51:25

So far, loving these tires.....
They are really responsive, and my bike seems quicker, what the heck....
Maybe my tire gauge was way off before  Shocked
The new tubes have the 90 degree metal stem, loving that too, so much easier to check.
Also, he said he my rear axle was crooked, and he straightened that out on the install, I might have done that when I changed my belt, which, doesn't whine at all now on decel, etc  Smiley
I only need a year and a half out of these, then I retire, and most likely, not sure, I will give her up....
Not sure I want to chance a slip and fall in my 60's  Embarrassed

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #13 - 06/24/16 at 21:47:43

Dawg,

It has been my experience with riding during our senior years is that it improves one's balance.

When we first moved to Texas, almost 10 years ago, I thought I was finished riding for the rest my life and especially because of the wind and the heat. After two bad falls, my physician suggested that I ride a bicycle to improve my balance. I went around the block once and parked the bike.

I drove into Argyle and bought a Yamaha V-star and that was how I improved my balance. I haven't had a fall since.

The best ridin' in your life starts after you retire.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Third time's the charm
Reply #14 - 06/25/16 at 06:04:03

raydawg wrote on 06/24/16 at 19:51:25:
... Not sure I want to chance a slip and fall in my 60's  Embarrassed
Depends on your health and how "old" you are.  My family has heart disease.  Pappy died age 43.  I had an attack at age 50.  At age 63 I got a triple bypass and a stroke that left me with aphasia and an ejection factor of 20-25%.  Retired at 65.  At 66 I killed the Savage and got the Vespa so I didn't need to swing a leg over a saddle.  About 3 months ago, at 69, I dropped the scoot.  A bit of road rash, no big deal.  A month ago I did it again, less road rash but fell on the right shoulder tearing ligaments and breaking four ribs.  I figured I should stop riding before I got really hurt.  Not to mention that I wasn't enjoying wearing the darn helmet.

Your mileage will vary.  

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 14:29:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tire wear question.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.