Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Headlight/Horn/Running Lamp Wiring Connector Issue (Read 74 times)
canonball770
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Headlight/Horn/Running Lamp Wiring Connector Issue
06/08/16 at 08:35:53

I have a 2011 and I experienced this issue where my headlights, horn and running lights stopped working. I should state that I felt I should try to investigate this myself before paying somebody, however, I have no vehicular electrical experience of any kind. (Well, I don't have any electrical experience beyond a potato battery experiment in grade 3...)

I found one post on the site here were a guy had this issue and found a loose connector. Indeed, my issue was caused by what I believe is the same connector. However, the connector itself is not loose (as his was) as when I ziptied it together, it didn't solve the issue. Upon further experimenting, I found that moving the wires around the connector caused it to fail, but no particular movement consistently caused it to fail. I did notice that one side of the connector was getting really hot, like almost too hot to touch, the culprit seeming to be an orange wire. In the absence of a wiring diagram, I thought I'd try and isolate the offending part. As soon as I unplugged the headlight, the wire/connector stopped heating up. The headlight bulb is correct, it's not like the wrong one is in there, drawing too much power.

I then unwrapped some of the electrical tape behind the connector, to see if it was the whole wire that was heating up or just the connector. As the wire didn't get hot, I conclude that the orange wire is maybe loose in the connector.

So my question is, do I have to replace the wiring harness or do these connectors come separately? Has anybody had any issues like this? Is there something else I should be checking?

PS, I've attached photos of the offending connector.

harness2.jpg
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Headlight/Horn/Running Lamp Wiring Connector I
Reply #1 - 06/08/16 at 08:48:24

Check fuses.
Inspect the connections inside the connector.
A voltmeter is your friend.
Testing on the Ohms position needs to be done without voltage on a wire.
You can test a connector by reading Ohms  from one end to the other. Looking for Low ohms.
You can test with power by checking each side of the connector by setting it on D.C. volts, range above twelve, one lead to ground, somewhere on the chassis, the other probe into one wire on one side of the connector, then the same wire on the other side of the connector. If you see an appreciable difference, clean it up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #2 - 06/08/16 at 08:56:52

Odds are the connector is not making good contact.
Could be mechanical, could be corrosion.
Could be both.

Corrosion: get a GOOD contact cleaner.  I recommend Deoxit D5
https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-D5S-6-DeoxIT-Contact-Cleaner/dp/B00006LVEU/ref=sr...
Follow the directions EXACTLY.  This is expensive stuff, but really good.
You really should try this before having to resort to the next thing:

Mechanical: examine how the two sides of the connectors mate, and try to bend parts of one or the other (or both) so then get a better connection.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/08/16 at 09:05:54

The problem is a bad connection.
if the 2 connectors don't mate up tightly, it creates resistance, which causes it to heat up.
do this all with the key off.
1st check for corrosion.
2nd is it loose, this is harder to answer.  but it's possible to pop out each connector and if you do it right, it will snap back in.  usually there's a little leg sticks out and engages with the plastic housing.  once you got it out, clean it, give it a little squeeze and check the fit on the other connector.

once it's all cleaned up and working, get some dielectric grease and give all the contacts a light coating to prevent corrosion.

WWW   IP Logged
canonball770
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/20/16 at 13:02:09

Thank you everybody for your responses; great advice all around and it was most helpful. The end result was that although everything was in minty shape, one of the connectors had a gap and was arcing. I cleaned it all up and bent the connector so it gets a better connection and the problem has been resolved. Time to ride! Woohoo!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/20/16 at 13:07:46

Next time, you Have some experience..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 06/20/16 at 16:38:17

There's a thread around here that has a link to a site where you can get replacement connectors and tools to work with the pins in the connectors. I can't find it. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #7 - 06/20/16 at 16:39:48

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 06/20/16 at 18:16:18

I've heard it said that the weakest part of a motorcycle is the electrical system,and it's true.So why do we have connectors? could it possibly be for the easy of the factory in assembly? Plug and play,but in your case, it"s plug and pay! I guess it bothers me to see people pay good money to replace a failed item with one that is subject to fail again . I would cut the connector out and toss it ,solder the wires ,use shrink tube, tape and never worry again! They will be sealed from the moisture that caused your connector to fail. fuses protect your bike ,connectors do nothing but cause heartache.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
canonball770
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/20/16 at 18:41:51

Batman, I whole-heartedly agree. I learned some valuable lessons in this. The biggest being, that sometimes a work-around is alright, and restoring something to as it was, is not always necessary. That connector is really only there to facilitate a connection, so in theory, I could replace it with an after different connector, or, you're right, remove it entirely. I think that with a little research (to make sure that longevity of the part and safety aren't compromised,) a hack is completely acceptable.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 06/20/16 at 18:51:24

I don't think replaceing  all the connectors is good ,the majors ,like rectifier,brain box, and stater should stay .But the one we're talking about  removing isn't a biggy,and the wires still color coded.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 09:42:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Headlight/Horn/Running Lamp Wiring Connector Issue

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.