Send Topic Print
Helmet Recommendations (Read 181 times)
whoisrawb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Helmet Recommendations
06/07/16 at 14:48:28

I currently have an open faced helmet and looking for a full face to help against the wind on pch  Smiley any one swear by a certain company or manufacturer that pairs nicely with the sav

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Helmet Recommendations
Reply #1 - 06/07/16 at 15:02:05

I have a Scorpion EX500 - it has a built in sun visor and is a pretty good helmet for the price.  I thought I wanted a Schoei GT Air - but it was expensive and when I tried it on the fit wasn't good for the shape of my head.

The only negative I have about the EX500, is the built in sun visor that is really handy....does make the shell of the helmet very large on the outside.

A full face helmet does keep the wind/rain/bugs off your face - but they do make a lot of wind noise and I would suggest that you wear ear plugs when at highway speeds.

You really just need to go to a dealer and try helmets on and find one that fits your head and pocketbook.....they all don't fit everybody's melon the same!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #2 - 06/07/16 at 15:40:12

I wear an open face with a face shield.   (I'm claustrophobic in a full face helmet...)  Embarrassed

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/07/16 at 16:19:51

I Wish I could remember what maker I had. It's three letters.
Modular, about$120.00 back when. It took about a forty MPH straight in the Face punch into the cab corner of a pickup truck that kept going. I got two stitches in the upper lip. And had trouble swallowing for a coupla weeks from the strap shoving into my neck.

HJC! I ermimburred! Ain't everyone just Prowd uv me?!!??

And yes, I talk like that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #4 - 06/07/16 at 17:28:30

For what it is worth.

Back in the late 1950s The AMA said "If you are going to race you are going to wear a Bell 500" which is an open face helmet. I am still wearing a Bell 500 with a flip up face shield.

In recent years Bell's quality standards have deteriorated to the point that I am looking for something different in an open face helmet. Perhaps I will try something made in the European Union because their supposed standards are a pregnant dog for manufactures to adhere to.

Kenny G

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 06/07/16 at 17:51:41

I've got an hjc I think the model is CL 33 it has the built in pop down shade ,comes in smoke but you can also get yellow for fog and they inter change ,I have both. the padding snaps out for washing also. price is about $135 .00 as I recall.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #6 - 06/07/16 at 17:53:40

BatMan,

Is that an open face helmet?

How is the wind turbulence and noise?

Kenny G

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/07/16 at 18:05:45

JOG mentioned the HJC modular and batman has the HJC CL33, I own and like both of those helmets.  In warm weather I wear the CL33 which is (I think) a 3/4 helmet because it is a little cooler and the drop down sun visor is handy.  When it is cool out I use the modular.  I like the way you can lift up the front when you want to see something down below.  

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 06/07/16 at 18:14:56

Had I been wearing an open face, I would have been SOinjured.
I did ride with the visor cracked open sometimes.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #9 - 06/07/16 at 18:52:36

I wear the HJC CS-R2. I like it a lot. It's quiet (well, as quiet as it can be on a mc!) and comfortable. I've heard bad safety reviews on flip-up helmets.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 06/07/16 at 19:41:20

Yes  the CL-33 is a 3/4 with a clear shield ,that is removeable .If your on a bike with a windshield you can get away with just the pop down .I like it cause I don't have to wear sunglasses they bother my ears and nose on long rides and get lost ,break ,or stolen .I don't think the wind noise is as bad as any other ,maybe a full face Bell I had was better but it was not as nice on hot days.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #11 - 06/07/16 at 20:42:07

The helmet that you will wear is the safest one for you.

It is not going to do me any good to have a full face helmet in the closet when I am only going to wear a half or 3/4 helmet.

If I have to wear the full face helmet I will always find an excuse to not wear it.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Radical Maximus
YaBB Newbies

Thump Thump

Texas
Reply #12 - 06/07/16 at 20:43:57

I have a modular HJC Sy Max, if you are just running to the store you can wear it as a 3/4 and then drop the face down on the highway.  I personally really like it.

The HJC is very expensive but I just got a modular off ebay for $25 for my youngest daughters first helmet.  It isn't the quality of an HJC but it isnt $200+ either.

Just search ebay or google for "modular helmet" to see one, and indeed, do go into a store and try them out. Some helmets are more round and some more oblong and you might need a different sizes depending on the styles.

If you want the cool effect you could do the Storm Trooper or Ironman helmets but to me those look like the visibility would suck

IP Logged
Meme
YaBB Newbies

Knees in the breeze!

Reno, NV
Reply #13 - 06/07/16 at 23:51:35

I wear a HCI modular model 89.  I can't stand half helmets, and want the protection of a full face.  Not just crash protection, but wind and bug protection, as well as the built in sun visor.  They're also a lot warmer in the winter. I wore a full face for 20 years. The modular is cooler when you need it and convenient in a lot of other ways as well.  That's all I plan on buying for myself from now on.

'96 Savage, 93XX miles, drilled exhaust cap.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #14 - 06/08/16 at 09:07:32

whoisrawb,

Well, in case these guys haven't talked you out of a full face helmet yet I'm gonna recommend a Scorpion exo- 410. It's similar to the helmet Dave mentioned except that it hasn't got the drop down internal sun visor.

I bought mine a short time ago and broke it in on a just under 1000 mile, three day trip, three weeks ago. So far I like it a lot.

The features I like, in no particular order, are these:

With the vents closed it is the quietest helmet I have ever owned. I normally wear ear plugs but when I wear this helmet around town, and speeds under 50 mph, and I can ride with the vents closed, or even with just the chinbar vent open, I've found I don't really need the plugs.
With all the vents open, and on long rides at higher speeds it's still noisy enough so that I'm more comfortable with the plugs. With all the vents open the helmet flows enough air to be comfortable. The hottest day I've had it on so far for any length of time was around 80. If you ride where it gets hotter than that I don't know it the ventilation will be sufficient or not.

There is a little lever on the left side of the helmet that pushed one way locks the faceshield shut and seals it against the gasket. Push it the other way and it opens the shield about an eighth of an inch or so and holds it there. It provides just enough extra airflow to keep the shield from fogging up. Of course you can open the shield further if you want also. There are, I think, three intermediate detents between all the way shut and all the way open and they are strong enough to hold the shield where you put it. The shield is also very easy to take off and put back on.

The cheek pads are designed to accommodate glasses which is important to me since I wear them. I've had helmets that got uncomfortable with glasses on after a while. This one is fine.

The helmet is both DOT and Snell approved if that matters to you. I don't race (anymore) but for anyone who does, or even just does track days, that might be a consideration. Some places or sanctioning bodies won't let you use a non Snell approved helmet.

What I don't like:

The helmet I bought came with a clear shield so I had to buy an extra dark smoke shield so that I don't have to wear sunglasses - I have clip on sunglasses that go over my prescription glasses, and that's an extra layer of plastic that I'd rather not have to look through. The replacement/ extra shields are around 40 bucks, which is kind of steep I think. Especially since you can find the helmet on sale for around 140- 160 dollars. The plain colors are cheaper, the fancy graphics are a little more.

None of the local dealers stock them so I had to buy online without trying the helmet on, or even seeing anything but a picture.

If you buy a helmet, especially a full face helmet from an on line vendor, make sure you can return it for a different size or even a completely different lid if you don't like the way it fits. Not every place will let you do that. Be especially careful if the helmet is on sale or on "closeout". Sometimes the regular return policies don't apply to sale or "closeout" stuff. A lot of the reviews I read before I bought my helmet said that Scorpion helmets tend to run a bit small. I took a chance and ordered my regular size and it fit. But everybody's head is different.

Anyway I think this one is worth looking at. Good luck.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/scorpion-exo-r410-helmet?utm_source=produc...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 10:18:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Helmet Recommendations

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.