Send Topic Print
Low stator output (Read 324 times)
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Low stator output
06/07/16 at 07:38:24

well hell..  
Thumper has a bad case of low stator output.

Rectifier barely goes above battery normal at the output.
Stator only giving 80 jolts AC at 5000 rpm.
That is on all 3 legs.
I show 1.1 ohms across any 2 legs.
Another oddity, and probably the root of all evil, is I have .8 ohms between two legs ground, and .2 ohms between the 3rd leg and ground.
Should not be any connection anywhere to ground.
So.  The .2 ohm leg is shorted to ground.. somewhere.
Actually, the .2 ohm is a DEAD short on my meter.  That is what it reads with the leads shorted together.
I'm hoping the short is outside the case.

Soooo. why am I posting this?  Because I can.. and because I want to know if anyone out there has replaced the stator.  If so, where did you get it and how much did you pay?   Hopefully, I won't need one.  Roll Eyes

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Low stator output
Reply #1 - 06/07/16 at 07:57:42

This wasn't the one we swapped the rectumfryer is it?
You'll need to remove the airbox as the wire is run behind it.
I'd clean the connector and recheck it 1st.

Post an ad in the Marketplace, I'm sure someone will have one.

WWW   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #2 - 06/07/16 at 08:22:01

verslagen1 wrote on 06/07/16 at 07:57:42:
This wasn't the one we swapped the rectumfryer is it?
You'll need to remove the airbox as the wire is run behind it.
I'd clean the connector and recheck it 1st.

Post an ad in the Marketplace, I'm sure someone will have one.

No.. that was Hamish.  

Thumper got a bit of a fry job the other day when I  was trying to jump a Harley.  Did a stupid and tried to move the bikes a bit with the cable attached.  Clip came off and there was smoke and flames, but it was all by the Harley, and the only obvious damage was my low current "jumper" cable.  Could have heated something up around my battery box and caused the short I am seeing now.

I plan on getting to the cable from one end to the other early tomorrow before it gets hot out.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 06/07/16 at 08:51:51

Circumstances sound like you cooked a wire somewhere...

It has to be.  
We all know your engines are beyond bulletproof.  
UnnnnnnBreakable!... Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #4 - 06/08/16 at 04:35:13

I am about to replace the stator on mine.  It has the same symptoms. I measure varying ohm short to ground on all 3 leads. Relatively even ohms measurements between all leads.  But, there should be no reading from any lead to ground.

While running, I barely get above battery voltage on the reg/rec output. When riding the battery slowly dies. It's not as fast as no charge situation but still slowly dies.

I'm trying one of the ebay stators...not genuine Suzuki.  Will let everone know how it goes this weekend when I do it. The stator is here and looks to be well made. Hope it works well.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #5 - 06/08/16 at 06:27:29

Serowbot wrote on 06/07/16 at 08:51:51:
Circumstances sound like you cooked a wire somewhere...

It has to be.  
We all know your engines are beyond bulletproof.  
UnnnnnnBreakable!... Grin

Hey Bot...
(Speaking like Kahn as he quotes from Melville's MobyDick) To the last, I will grapple with thee... from Hell's heart, I stab at thee! For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee!  Angry

Yes, you jinxed it..  YES .. YOU!!!!   Not a simple short somewhere in the cable.  It's in the stator..  Sad

Oh.. and your still OK by me..    Cheesy

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #6 - 06/08/16 at 06:28:52

Steve H wrote on 06/08/16 at 04:35:13:
I am about to replace the stator on mine.  It has the same symptoms. I measure varying ohm short to ground on all 3 leads. Relatively even ohms measurements between all leads.  But, there should be no reading from any lead to ground.

While running, I barely get above battery voltage on the reg/rec output. When riding the battery slowly dies. It's not as fast as no charge situation but still slowly dies.

I'm trying one of the ebay stators...not genuine Suzuki.  Will let everone know how it goes this weekend when I do it. The stator is here and looks to be well made. Hope it works well.

Steve,  YES, I am VERY interested in which one you got and how well it works out!!!   May the force be with you..

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 06/08/16 at 07:40:51

Dang!,.. sorry Youz...
Your high miler bikes are inspirational to me...
...if it makes you feel any better,... my stator crapped out at 30k... Huh

PS.. buy a new gasket... it's very likely the old one will tear during R&R...
It's that darn giant magnet pulling back at you... Tongue

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #8 - 06/08/16 at 16:37:10

I have just over 25k and mine's died.  How'd you get it to last so long?

The replacement I have will have to be spliced into the original wiring.  I emailed the guy selling them and he assured me that it's a perfect replacement for the stator but to keep the cost down, they opted not to have the full length wires or the ignition pickup.

I found some instructions on a Honda web site where they were rewinding fireblade stators because all the aftermarket ones burned up very quickly and the factory ones weren't too much better.
I might be tempted to try it with the old stator once I change it out and have a working one in the bike.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #9 - 06/08/16 at 19:51:20

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #10 - 06/09/16 at 02:52:44

Steve H wrote on 06/08/16 at 16:37:10:
I have just over 25k and mine's died.  How'd you get it to last so long?

The replacement I have will have to be spliced into the original wiring.  I emailed the guy selling them and he assured me that it's a perfect replacement for the stator but to keep the cost down, they opted not to have the full length wires or the ignition pickup.

I found some instructions on a Honda web site where they were rewinding fireblade stators because all the aftermarket ones burned up very quickly and the factory ones weren't too much better.
I might be tempted to try it with the old stator once I change it out and have a working one in the bike.

I'm just .. lucky I guess.  I don't ride really fast for long distances, as I spend most of my time on back roads.  The engine has held up well with just oil changes.  Changed the cam chain once.  
I believe that if you don't let the bike sit, it will last longer.

You got a link to the stator you bought?  I'm starting to check around, and will put a post on Market.

I saw instructions for rewinding a stator a while ago.  Sure looks like a lot of work.  My main concern could be nicking that wire and getting a short.  
One of the instructions I saw mentioned keeping a meter (or powered buzzer) hooked up to the stator base and the bitter end of wire as you do the winding.  That way, you will know as soon as you get a short and can correct the situation.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #11 - 06/09/16 at 06:33:37

Guyz,

I am not sure if it is the same thing, but the alternator on my Norton, one of the finer Lucas everfail products, gave out after about about 30,000 miles. The machinist at York Mack Truck rewound it. It weighed twice as much as stock, and it was still working somewhere near 270,000 miles.

I would think for rewinding anything with copper wire, an electric motor repair shop would be the way to go. They rewind everything from tiny motors to the giant motors in elevators.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #12 - 06/09/16 at 17:10:13

Here a link to the one I ordered.  He's got some sort of issue with pricing going on right now.  The price is $1000 too high since he updated his ads. I wrote him letting him know so it should be fixed soon.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SUZUKI-LS-650-SAVAGE-STATOR-MAGNETO-1986-2007-P-I...

We have a couple of very good rewind shops here in town.  I might have to run by them and see what they would charge to do it.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #13 - 06/10/16 at 05:52:24

Steve,

It never hurts to check local mechanics and craftsmen.

I was looking for 8mm fuel line and found the Kubota Tractor dealers have it in stock.

I saw a bunch of hydraulic fittings and asked if he could make motorcycle disk brake hoses. He said if I bring my fittings and old hose in he can make a new one for $10.00.

The machine shop at the York, PA, Mack truck garage helped keep Limey bikes running for years. The work was beautiful and the price was very reasonable. Picture a British bike that didn't leak oil.???

Kenny G

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 06/10/16 at 11:30:05

. Picture a British bike that didn't leak oil.??

Ha! Nooo problem,, I just leaned back,  closed the eyes and saw a beautiful older Brit bike, and it was not leaking a Drop.

It was empty..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:25:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Low stator output

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.