Low stator output (Read 324 times)
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Re: Low stator output
Reply #15 - 06/10/16 at 17:34:18

I was always told if there's no oil under 'em, there's no oil in 'em.

That's quite an achievement sealing up an old brit bike so it doesn't leak.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #16 - 06/10/16 at 18:11:19

The machinist at York Mack Truck was very talented. He made the cut for an oil seal where the Limeys put in an o-ring.

He was great at milling, fitting and lapping mating surfaces.

The Japanese were clever enough to take the British designs and correct them before they brought their product to the market place.

The reason the motorcycle manufacturers in the UK went out of business is they relied on customers to correct the deficiencys in their product.

And one day the kid down the street bought a Honda and while all of us riding Nortons & Triumphs were doing the repair work he was having fun. He told people all the fun he was having and he didn't even know how to wipe his nose let alone try to fix a motorbike.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #17 - 06/16/16 at 17:45:06

Well, I got the stator changed out and the wiring splicing was a little fun but worked without any big problems.  I am happy to say it appears to be charging.  It's idling around 13.6 to 13.7V and jumps to around 14.5 when you twist the throttle a little.

Anectdotally, the lights when I first got it fixed were sort of dim and yellowish.  After riding about 5 miles, they were nice bright white lights.  I haven't had any problems starting or anything that looks like low battery since putting everything back together.  

The bike had another problem that had developed since it had been sitting waiting for me to fix the stator.  It wouldn't hit a lick.  The engine would crank over just fine. All noises were normal. It just wouldn't fire for anything.  I drained the tank, gave the carb a good cleaning. Still nothing even spraying starting fluid in.  Turned out that somehow the spark plug had started arcing from insulator to metal way  up inside. As soon as I replaced the plug, it hit first time. (I did blow away the crud before removing the plug)

I noticed that the new stator is about 5 laminations thicker than the original.  On the original, they have little plastic guides at the end of each pole. They are close to 1/8" wide on each side.  This one fills that space with extra metal.  It also appears, I didn't measure it, to be one gauge thicker wire.  If so, the combination of extra metal, thicker wire should make for more watts generating capability and hopefully not burn out as easily.

I'll post up a message with a few pics sometime this weekend when I have time for those that may be interested.

edit: to correct spelling

« Last Edit: 06/16/16 at 20:58:34 by Steve H »  

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 06/16/16 at 17:49:51

lapping mating surfaces.

If that's possible without machinery, I Might be guilty.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #19 - 06/16/16 at 17:50:27

Steve,

Where did you purchase your new stator?

Kenny G

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #20 - 06/16/16 at 17:57:34

It won't MAKE more power but it will HANDLE more power.  Wink

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #21 - 06/16/16 at 20:57:35

KennyG,

I got the stator from PCC Parts on ebay.  He's always got them for around $35.  It looks to be well made.

Kris,

I've always been told more laminations (actually about 1/8" thicker) means more magnetic flux conducted.  With the same number and size of windings, the voltage should be higher. With increased wire diameter, the current should be higher.  With the same number of windings and heavier wire, it should produce a little higher voltage and a little more current unless we are already at magnetic saturation either due to magnet strength or core design.

But, with no more increase than there is here, it's probably negligible anyway. I'm just hoping it holds up well and doesn't fry.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #22 - 06/17/16 at 05:07:57

Hmmm, that does sound feasible. I may be wrong. It's happened before!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #23 - 06/17/16 at 12:24:15

I may be wrong too.  It's been a long time since I have been exposed to very much electrical theory.

IP Logged
mastercarstech
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 06/21/16 at 20:35:41

Thanks for the link and info Steve. I've got the same issue, low output from the charging system. Took about 2 weeks of riding before the battery went dead. I just got this basket case together and running so hasn't been going to far from home till I thought it was going to be dependable. Two weeks of riding without any real problem should be good to go right? Nope! Lol.
Anyways, tested the output on the 3 stator wires, 1 pair had a little over 80 volts at idle and well over 100 at about 3-4000rpm. The other 2 pairs had about 25 volts at idle and only around 50 at 3-4000rpm. Further testing found 1 wire shorted to ground and open to the other 2 wires. Didn't find any damage to the harnessso I pulled the stator and am gonna replace it.
Has there been any problems with a shorted stator taking out the regulator? Wondering if I shouldn't just replace both while I'm at it? Any thoughts?  Undecided

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #25 - 06/22/16 at 04:51:43

Yeah...that's about what it took to find out mine wasn't charging adequately.  Since it was charging some, it took a good while to finally kill the battery enough for it not to start.

I don't know if it will kill the reg/rec or not.  It shouldn't unless it gets way over voltage. The input to the reg/rec is just diodes.

I don't know if anybody will have a good answer on that one for you. I don't remember hearing of it but just might not have read the posting it was in.

IP Logged
mastercarstech
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 06/22/16 at 07:17:40

Thanks Steve. Guess I'll replace the stator first and see how it does. At least the regulator is easy to get at. Still waiting on a reply from your guy on ebay for the correct pricing on one, he still has it listed for over a grand. Lol. I messaged him last night but no response yet.
I just wanna ride!  Grin

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #27 - 06/30/16 at 13:38:22

Finally getting back to this thread.  Work gets in the way.. and my experience on this fix was a lot worse than Steve's!!!!  Angry

Here is a picture of the old and new stator with wiring harness.
NOTE: The harness looks goofy.  Too much wire on the stator side of the oil seal.  You have to trim the insulation on the stator side, then slide the oil seal towards the stator until the wires are the right length.

Then.. I noticed an extra, and OPEN hole in the oil seal.  HUH??  Shocked
Plugged it with a piece of plastic.  

Put it together, and the oil seal is just a bit too tall.. it sticks up higher than flush with the cover.
OK.. sand it down a bit, but leave a bit of a bump so it will squish down to the gasket when I bolt it up.

Bolt it up.. oil leak.  Open it up, and the gasket wasn't sitting quite right, and it got ruined.
Order OEM gasket instead of 3rd party knock off.   New gasket in.  Better material, smoother cuts, much nicer.
Bolt it up.  Not leaking.  Go for a ride... and .. it is trying to imitate a Harley by marking it's spot when I go to eat lunch.  Another oil leak.
Open it up.  There is oil inside the cable.  That oil seal that gave me so much grief just isn't gripping the wires tight enough..  I though it slid kind of easy when I was adjusting the wires.
Now.. not a happy camper.  
Grabbed the old oil seal.  Took FOREVER to dig all old wires out of there.. but finally got all the pieces out.

Had to cut my nice new harness to take off the new oil seal and put the wires into the original oil seal.  
Had to use a hair dryer to heat the seal up to get it soft enough so I could force the wires through.
Then spliced the wires back together.  Same way Steve H did it.  Staggered the cuts, buttsplice solder, heat shrink, very pretty end result.

Put it all back together.. again.  (Man, I am getting GOOD at this!  Grin ).
Took it out for a ride this morning, and .. it looks like I finally got it back to how it should be.  I'll keep an eye on the voltage output (my splices could have been better) and oil situation.

I'm still glad I replaced the harness, as the old one was pretty brittle.
HOWEVER, for those of you with not so high mileage, go Steve H's route and just get a stator that you will have to splice in.
Save some money, and may save you some of the grief I had!!!

DSCF0292.jpg

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #28 - 08/05/16 at 20:35:11

How many ohm's across any 2 legs now?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #29 - 08/05/16 at 20:42:04

Quite an ordeal, Youz,, good job solving that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:22:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Low stator output

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.