Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Speed, do we really need it? (Read 322 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Speed, do we really need it?
06/06/16 at 11:39:49

Had a kind of debate with a fella at the local watering hole about why all of our cars in production today have the 120-160 mph speedos.

Anyway, what it boiled down to is that we were discussing (well he got irate a bit, but calmed down) why we have vehicles in production that can go twice or three times as fast as any posted speed limit in the U.S.A.

I for one, think that a person should have to actually qualify or test to drive something that can go over 100 mph. (after living in Florida for the last 20+ years)

He was for just any idiot should be able to drive as long as they could pass the written test.

Needless to say, if you want to put this in the tall tale area go ahead, but I would like to get some of you guys opinion.

Why do we have vehicles that go so fast to just drive as a daily vehicle?

And why is the "general public" allowed to own them?

I guess it is kinda like the weapons arguments I suppose (we got into that too).

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Speed, do we really need it?
Reply #1 - 06/06/16 at 12:26:40

Quote:
Had a kind of debate with a fella at the local watering hole about why all of our cars in production today have the 120-160 mph speedos.

Well. I think I know where you are headed with this, and this isn't really much of an answer,  but I don't think I'd get too worked up about the top number on a car's speedo.

The speedometer on my 2000cc Hyundai goes up to 140 mph. The only way that car will ever go that fast is if it's pushed out the back of a C-130 at about 10,000 feet.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/06/16 at 13:23:27

Yes, we do.  The question is... how? when? where?
Give me a steep hill, on a wide open hiway, I'm a sucker for WOT.

A while back, fastest you were allowed to go was 55.
Now it's marked 65, in some places 75 and others 80.
Who knows what the speed limit will be in the future.

Part of your question is more Why are gauges made the way they are.
You design a gauge to operate at mid scale for accuracy.
You don't get a gauge that stops at 80 cause that's you max speed.
You might stop putting numbers on it, but the peg is still at 110 to 160.

And the other part of your question, Why are we capable of going that fast when we only need to go to work.
Why don't we all ride 50cc scooters?  That's the lone savage in the HD group question.  Everyone feels better when you know that it's mostly likely that you'll break down together in the same spot.   Grin

Or perhaps your question is why are we allowed to build 500hp sedans.
Certainly we don't need to... unless we intend to tow a big trailer.
Or do you wish to have the Efficiency Police Agency pull you over in your Hummer because you are driving by yourself?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/06/16 at 13:40:27

Running an engine at 80% of its capacity is about as much as you can do and Still expect it to last long.
I've been chased and thrilled that I had enough Ooomph under the hood to help me get away.
I've been in Colorado and needed more than what I had to climb mountains and not be crawling and frustrating people, including Me..
The frustrating drivers to me are the Q-tips driving their 120MPH car at 25 in a 45.
And, lastly, having someone else Decide what I can have based on Their concept of what I Need is just UnAmerican.
Next stop, Second Amendment.

Medical doctors have plenty of evidence that sound exceeding a certain decibel level harm the ears. Concerts are Loud.
Should ( one of the most dangerous words in the English language  ) we simply not Allow it to be turned up to 11?
Can I buy one for my home?

Recommended reading

Anything on Libertarianism.

No, society does Not owe you hearing aids because you're deaf from listening to music cranked up to 11.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 06/06/16 at 13:45:27

I never use a speedometer, I just lean over and look closely at the front wheel and get a good idea of how fast I'm going and that's good enough for me.  Here's how I do it;

daily-selection082-498x374.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 06/06/16 at 13:53:52

The most fun I have on my Savage is in the 30 - 60 mph range, on a suitably twisty road.

I do believe it is wrong for anybody to be able to walk into a motorcycle dealer and buy a Hayabusa as their fist bike.

But......it is a "free county" - I guess! Huh

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #6 - 06/06/16 at 14:01:13

How about banning smoking, fatty foods, sugar, falling out of aeroplanes, skiing, childbirth, boxing, firearms and all the other unsafe things? I love speed now and again. Fastest I been on a bike is 270kph and it was hilarious and no risk to others. Right time, right place.
However, I hear what your saying. I'd like to see a tiered licence system where one had to earn the right to drive a performance car. To keep the uninterested and  clueless from powerful vehicles.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 06/06/16 at 14:13:41

If my brain is right, that is somewhere around 212MPH.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Reply #8 - 06/06/16 at 14:17:54

I'm more in the "Dave" group. I have(had) the most fun riding the S40 in the 35 - 55 mph range. A lot of back roads/farm access roads(paved), and the like are great. A good deal of them in my area are posted at 50mph - just right for me. I did have a modified 70 Plymouth Roadrunner back in the day. It had a 150mph speedo, and I had it to 142 on a wide open empty freeway once(over 30 years ago). No more of that for this kid.   :'( :'(

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 06/06/16 at 15:06:21

I'm with ya' ol' rider,... Dave too...

Modern cars are so insulated and smooth nowadays... 90mph feels like walking...
That's a dangerous illusion... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 06/06/16 at 15:30:11

Where I had Fun has no bearing on the freedom to Have what someone else wants.

I wonder how many people are injured trying to emulate the super quick veggie slicing chef on TV.
Ban cooking shows!
The Nanny State Seriously needs to go away.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #11 - 06/06/16 at 15:54:09

The definition of optimism is a 140MPH speedo in a Mini Cooper! Like above you would need a C130.
I think the range on most speedos is set by the marketing dept. Eye candy to sell the car, or bike and to impress whose who don't know any better.
Down here in S. Fla the troopers give out 100mph+ tickets on the turnpike about 4 or 5 times a week. And west of me there is a 4 lane divided hwy with a limit of 60. Weekends the sportbikes run that road at 120 - 140 plus. A trooper told me they can't do anything when there alone, and a major enforcement group would stand out so no one would speed. They know stop sticks would just kill a biker.
Believe me, it is NOT FUN to be going 60 and have 2 bikes come out of nowhere and pass you within touching distance on the shoulder at 140!
Watching packs doing wheelies 50 - 60 mph faster than the traffic they are weaving thru will turn most people into bike haters.
I will go into a place some of you won't like by saying anyone going over 100 mph in normal traffic should be treated like a DUI. Take his license on the spot, impound the bike as evidence, bracelets and a overnight stay to go to court. Then go to court to TRY to get your license back!
When they make me King of the world THINGS WILL CHANGE!

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #12 - 06/06/16 at 16:20:40

that's how it is here: anything over about 90mph is instant loss of licence, car impoundment and maybe a trip to the big house for a little while. Additionally, learner and probationary licence owners aren't allowed to drive turbo or V8 cars anymore, and restircted to motorbikes 660cc or less and power to weight not exceeding 150kw/tonne.
Still, we will misbehave when Big Mother is not watching.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #13 - 06/06/16 at 16:26:28

gizzo, Funny thats not how the Mad Max movies show it

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #14 - 06/06/16 at 17:43:45

I am thinking in Texas anything over 100 MPH is a felony, if not here it is somewhere nearby.

In Central Pennsylvania RT 222 is called the Pennsylvania Dutch Autobon because of the frequent arrests in the 140 MPH range.

The only place I ever went crazy with speed on public roads is The Norman Wood Bridge linking Southern York County to Southern Lancaster County Pennsylvania.

There is no cross traffic to contend with and you can see from one end of the bridge to other. I have only done it when I was the only one in sight.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:39:17

General CategoryThe Cafe › Speed, do we really need it?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.