Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Speed, do we really need it? (Read 322 times)
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Re: Speed, do we really need it?
Reply #30 - 06/08/16 at 06:10:48

I always have said commuters aren't driving, THEY ARE LATE!

I guess that supersedes all laws, conman sense, and courtesy.

I'M LATE!
I'M LATE!
I'M LATE!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #31 - 06/08/16 at 06:55:44

old_rider wrote on 06/08/16 at 04:13:08:
The reason the conversation came about is that I live on one of those 4 lane roads that a LOT of people use twice a day, going to work and going home.
This four lane has housing and businesses the whole length for about 35 miles.
EVERY DAY (and I know cause i'm at home) there are sirens going off about 6am to 9am and then at 3:30pm to 6pm
The problem is that folks are in a hurry to get to work in the morning and in a hurry to get home at night, the sad thing is, some don't make it.
And it is not always those folks that do the wreckless driving that get hurt.
I watched a car attempt to cross the southbound lanes from a center turn lane and get T boned so hard it separated the engine and transmission from the car (ended up in the median). The person in the "fast lane" was doing about 95-110 (or so it was estimated), and that was in a 55mph zone.
I agree about the need for torque power for towing and 90 mile an hour for passing on interstates, but man...100mph in a 45 or 55mph zone?
Even the military folks will tell you, the average speed for the stretch I live on is about 65-70mph, and it is marked 45-55mph.(I go about 5 over marked at times because people are literally 1/2 a car length behind you)
The highway i'm referring to is locally called "Bloody 98" and is always in the local news for accidents because it is the ONLY road along the gulf coast in the panhandle from Pensacola to Panama City.
And from Pensacola to Destin is where most of the real danger is.... guess where I live?
Well, I guess it is me getting older but.... I personally would like to see a transmitter that would limit speeds to posted, unless passing (maybe a button that would let you go over 15 for a few seconds).
Would that be a "nanny state" or "liberal" law.... yeah probably, would it save lives.... I would step out on a limb and say yes.
Will it ever happen...no.... was just a discussion.
But I would still like to see some special "driving qualification" test for people before they could drive a vehicle that can do above 100mph. And yet another more stringent one for vehicles that can to 150mph and above.(don't the European countries have a law limiting young folks cc's?)
Tons of folks would still pass it, even though the excess speed is not needed.
But it would save a few lives.... and make me happy, and make me feel just a tad safer when I hit the road Smiley
Edit: (added pic)
http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b471/Orphistle/IMAG0120.jpg

The european graduated liscensing system is for motos only, AFAIK, not cars
Yep, your suggestion would lower the number of accidents, for sure
Know what would lower it even more? ban privately owned vehicles (don't laugh, some on the left have already proposed it)
then we can all ride mass transit, or ride bicicles, or walk, and we'd really be safe, ain't that a grand idea?

and yup. badwolf nailed it
I'M Late!
or for some kids
I'm FAST!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #32 - 06/08/16 at 07:11:52

Taking freedom away for your own good is the game.

Everyone stay home. A government worker will be by soon to bring you your food for today.

That is all.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #33 - 06/08/16 at 07:42:41

The more I ride over 70mph... the more I like 50mph... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
welshpete
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 06/08/16 at 13:26:57

speed, huh, what is it good for....

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #35 - 06/08/16 at 19:23:34

I saw 2 idiots run a red light from opposite directions and hit each other (one of them turned left in front of the other one). It was raining and I guess they were trying to save a few seconds. It wasn't a bad wreck, just a STUPID one! No one was hurt. Instead of saving a few minutes, they were delayed a few hours! Serves 'em right!!!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #36 - 06/09/16 at 07:57:16

were they speeding?

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #37 - 06/09/16 at 16:02:11

Speeding to beat the red light in the rain. Didn't work out too well for either of them.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #38 - 06/09/16 at 21:32:11

In SC if you're going more than 20 over, it's considered reckless driving, you get to go to jail, car gets impounded, license is suspended until your hearing and may or may not be returned to you after the hearing.

They do seem to realize that even though the speed limit is lower, there are times when you can operate a vehicle at that speed and be completely safe depending on traffic density, weather conditions, vehicle condition, etc.

Sometimes the judge will give the license back and fine you for speeding if that is one of those conditions.  More common is 6 month suspension, have to take traffic course before getting license back, 4 years of special high-risk insurance(very expensive), large fines.  It might cost $5,000 or so for going 80 in a 55 not counting the insurance rate increase.

We don't see a tremendous number of really high speed tickets being issued. We have the LATE'ers. (I'm late and going to pass everybody to get to the light 20 sec. before they do kind) They're going usually about 10 over, eating, putting on makeup, talking on the phone, etc., generally not paying attention and cause many, many wrecks. We now have an aggressive driving ticket classification for those folks that carries some high fines and possible loss of license.

In the last couple years, I've seen the number of otherwise car driving people on mopeds skyrocket.  Seems like some of the enforcement might be doing the trick. They're getting very tough on DUI and some of the other things that were a fine that can now lose your license are getting many of the worst off the road.

I have never been involved in a wreck that was my fault. I am a safe, cautious, sane driver. I have been rear-ended a couple times by some of those LATE'ers.

If you don't have time to get there safely, leave earlier or be late. Free and unrestricted travel is according to SCOTUS a constitutionally protected right.  Endangering someone else while doing so is not.

I hate to see all the people getting hurt.  If there were a way the one that can't drive could be hurt and the innocent not, I'd say let them do it. I'm all for letting attrition take out the ones that can't drive.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #39 - 06/10/16 at 07:23:38

Kris01 wrote on 06/09/16 at 16:02:11:
Speeding to beat the red light in the rain. Didn't work out too well for either of them.

Well at least they were both apparently idiots, so no innocents injured

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #40 - 06/10/16 at 08:03:56

Been raining a lot here lately so of course heaps of numpties getting their jollies spinnning their wheels in their shitbox cars that couldn't otherwise. Last night I heard one around the corner from my work, wheels spinnning until they hooked up and shot him into a stobie pole. Priceless. So, you don't need to speed to make yourself look silly  Grin.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #41 - 06/10/16 at 09:45:05

gizzo wrote on 06/10/16 at 08:03:56:
So, you don't need to speed to make yourself look silly  Grin.

No....but it helps you to get there quicker!

Last night I made my second attempt at a 0-60 time using my Speedhut GPS speedometer.....it took 5.02 seconds.  I have the double Kawasaki pulley setup that makes it geared a bit high, and I was not horribly aggressive about the launch.....with practice I will be able to get under 5 seconds.  (I don't need it....but it was fun to try).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #42 - 06/10/16 at 14:38:22

Yes we need speed, in the right place and time. A controlled circuit, a traffic free road, twisty or otherwise. We don't really need it in built up urban/suburban areas, congested motorways/freeways, or wet roads. We need to exercise some judgement when using it, and let's face it most Savage/S40's will definitely be working hard at 75 mph plus and very hard at 80 plus. As others have pointed out we probably shouldn't do it where we know the village MOPP are active.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #43 - 06/12/16 at 09:46:19

Where we live South Dakota) county hiways are 55, state hiways are 65 and interstates
are 80 Shocked. I rarely drive or ride the interstate. I agree with the HP here; they say 80 is to fast. They will ticket anyone going 81 I've heard.

I guess I'm of a mind that anyone should be able to kill themselves in a vehicle if they so choose; it's a free country, right! Problem is; innocent people get killed too! Not sure
What the answer is so I just check out by driving state hiways mostly. We live 13 miles east of the I-29 corridor and I rarely use it unless imI'm headed west out of state.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:30:59

General CategoryThe Cafe › Speed, do we really need it?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.