Send Topic Print
Clutch/starter Woes (Read 86 times)
henneman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Clutch/starter Woes
06/04/16 at 09:01:10

When I pull the clutch lever the engine dies and the starter kicks in.  This bizarre behavior began in the middle of a ride and I limped home in 3rd.  At home, with the key on, if I pull the clutch lever the starter kicks in, without touching the start button.  I am now am going to look for a short.  Where should I start looking?  Could a part have failed?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Clutch/starter Woes
Reply #1 - 06/04/16 at 09:13:27

If you put the bike in neutral, ... and turn on the key, does the starter spin by itself without pulling in the clutch?...
If so,.. I'd guess your starter relay is jammed...
Smack it with a small hammer or the handle of a heavy screwdriver...
See what comes of it... Huh

Psst!... it's under your seat...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/04/16 at 09:42:17

I'm thinking it's a new variant of the decomp controller failure.

but let's go at this in sequence.

You push the starter button and power goes to the clutch safety.
pull the clutch safety connector and check for 12v, if no power, then it's not the button.

WWW   IP Logged
henneman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/04/16 at 09:47:03

Thanks for the response.  The problem occurred last Saturday.  The bike was in neutral with the key on when the starter would kick in when the clutch was pulled (and also when I was running and shifted).  Now is the first time I tried it since then.  The gremlin seems to have disappeared, I hope permanently.  I'll keep in mind your comment about the relay.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/04/16 at 09:55:13

Here's what I'd do while you're wait for the SOB to come back...
park in neutral and keep your ears open.
we've had a couple of the decomp controllers fail in the middle of the night sending the bike into the wall and then on it's side with the starter spinning.
And there's no way to stop it till you pull the lead to the starter.

WWW   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 06/04/16 at 10:09:21

You need a Gremlin Bell ! One of those nasty little creatures has found a home in your wiring. That's how it all starts ya know. Next it goin be grease worms & bed bugs ! Someone has to give it to you as a gift or it won't work. But ya need one real bad before things get out of hand.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 06/04/16 at 10:25:14

Verslagen, if it was in gear and the sidestand interlock telling it to shut down, would it still spin?
I Think I know that answer and it's yes, because the second wire from the left, I think, if it gets twelve volts, it spins over even if the key is in your pocket.
The only Safety  I can envision would be a switch put in one of the small wires to the start solenoid. That would not be hard.
Remembering to turn it on when you hit the Start button and Nothing happens might be. Finding the Right switch would be a hassle. Hafta be sealed and then installing it for easy access, but the option of having to be on alert like that is a real motivation.
Run a battery dead, cook a starter, ouch..

If the solenoid was arc welded and stuck it would not stop supplying voltage to the starter motor until someone smacked it and shook it loose.

http://www.mooreparts.com/k4-mini-push-button-on-off-triple-sealed-switch-12v...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 06/04/16 at 10:47:29

And yes, I knew your starter work around when those unfortunate souls arrived.

OK, I've reviewed my circuit diagram and it appears that if you pull the fuses, power to the decomp controller will be cut.  So a solution would be to route power to both fuses thru the ig switch.  Why this isn't already done, IDK.  Maybe someone can confirm this on the original diagram.

WWW   IP Logged
mastercarstech
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/04/16 at 09:14:05

Just an idea, if it occurs again while you're on a ride try unplugging the clutch at the clutch lever. That should at least allow you to finish your ride without having the starter engage everytime you shift. Just remember to plug it back in when you go to start your bike or it won't crank. That should at least get you back home Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:27:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch/starter Woes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.