Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
S40 - Final bike/ old person's bike? (Read 46 times)
Jasbee
YaBB Newbies

One pot does it

Canberra, Australia
S40 - Final bike/ old person's bike?
05/31/16 at 23:52:07

I wonder who else sees the S40 as I do. I've had many bikes over many years; I am now approaching 74. Five years ago I was on a GSX650F, it did everything well, but at 241 Kg became too heavy for me. So after 3 years I downgraded to what was to be my final 'old man' bike, a 250 Intruder (159 Kg). That was fine but for two things- I felt vulnerable, and I felt the fire in my belly was dying.

So after nearly 2 years on the Intruder, I went and bought the S40 (173 Kg and red). This is it for me! The fire has rekindled; I am able to reassert my rightful place in the motoring jungle.

Red 2015 S40, Boulevard screen, Ventura rack
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: S40 - Final bike/ old person's bike?
Reply #1 - 06/01/16 at 01:00:33

Jasbee, a little while ago a survey of rider age among other things was put on tis site, the computer literate people here will point you to it. The rider age bracket was by and large high 'forties to mid seventies and predominantly male. I found that after a twenty seven year hiatus from motorcycling, I came back in 2007 on a GN250, but that wouldn't handle New Zealands excuses for motorways. One day in 2010 I noticed an S40 in the local dealership and sat on it. It was the candy coloured one, perhaps targeted at the female market. a month or so later a pearl white and silver one appeared, I was hooked, and schemed how to buy it. I walked into the dealership, sat on the bike, the salesman said " it's time to upgrade", I said "yes", he put a sold sticker on the bike, and that was that. So far I've had 30000 trouble free miles, a couple of long distance trips out of the bike. Every now and again I sit on and ride a 500cc Suzuki sport road bike, the petrol tank hits me in the stomach, it takes me some time to get used to the seating arrangement. Occasionally I find myself doing 130 kmh in 100 kmh areas. Some times I look at a Yamaha Bolt, I don't want the extra initial costs, and I don't want the servicing costs, last but not least I don't want, or care for "COOL" . Now I'm just a young fellow of sixty six going on sixty seven, and compared to a lot of people here, I know sweet F A about motorcycles, but I'm going to be riding my S40, stock, unbobbed, uncarbed, un shocked, proud of my stock muffler, proud of my chrome head covers as long as I can. Yes they are a great older persons bike and who cares what "COOL" people think.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 06/01/16 at 01:24:27

We find the S40 (LS650) when we are 50ish, we ride it & mod it, then buy other bikes that we think are better touring bikes then we come back to the S40 when we get old because it is smaller, lighter and we can pick the sucker back up off the pavement with some age upon us while the other bikes get to be "too much" to handle.

It is the bike we are still riding when we hit the canes and walkers.

Age and illnesses are real on this list, we plan around them and jest keep on trucking ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #3 - 06/01/16 at 05:01:49

jc, you are Cool, despite yourself, 'cause you do what you like and don't give a rats arsewhat the rest think  Cool.
Is kind of interesting seeing so many of you older diggers (old =anyone senior to me )  loving the savage. Is not what I would have thought when I bought mine a few years back. But, the older crew around my way seem to  appreciate it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:35:03

General CategoryThe Cafe › S40 - Final bike/ old person's bike?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.