Larger fuel tank ? (Read 187 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Larger fuel tank ?
05/31/16 at 07:57:29

So we took a ride yesterday and the wife says " do we have enough fuel " ?

We all know the assure is "No , we don't have enough when the tank is full ! "    Roll Eyes

I've been looking at this one :

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/720-605

Anybody found anything that is a workable solution . ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Larger fuel tank ?
Reply #1 - 05/31/16 at 08:17:36

I don't think that tank will work....the tank looks like it has a very thin space for the frame backbone.

The Vulcan 750 tank is supposed to add a gallon, and be doable.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1245897456/7#7

I tried to find a photo somewhere - but I couldn't locate one.

There were also some other tanks folks used - getting room for the decompression solenoid and wide split in the frame rails near the seat is a problem.....and what are you going to do for you speedometer/indicator lights?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/31/16 at 09:22:22

For just around town or a short hop, like from Longview to Tyler, plenty of gas.. It's a lot easier to haul gas and oil for the occasional longer ride than modify the bike. The seat, seating/ergonomics, and,if you're riding the slab without a windshield, just staying on at seventy gets tiresome.. Stopping for gas can be good.
Getting the oil fill loose was a problem, finger tight in, needed pliers to get it out.. So, I got a piece of wood about 3/4 X  1/2"
slotted it to fit on the top of the oil fill. I don't like plier marks.
The little two stroke oil containers are great. And you can get stainless steel water hauler s, about a pint, maybe a tad bigger, with a good hard plastic screw in top. Coupla those, oil, and ride. I really don't know anywhere you could go where you would actually Need to haul gas, unless you were just daydreaming and missed the station.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/31/16 at 10:16:42

While that tank might work, you're gonna have to clear out what's mounted in the frame if the tunnel isn't too wide.

The vulcan tank should be an easy upgrade as long as you intend to put the gage on the bars anyway.  Or the GT550 tank that dave has shouldn't be hard as well.  I did a trial fit with mine, hammered on it a bit to fit but was ok with the fit.  Not as low as dave got it, but happy with the look.  You do have to push the seat back a bit, but I had to do that with the stock tank to clear the vz forks anyway.  Make a plate to mount the rear of the tank to and the seat mount.  I got the threaded inserts to do the job.  You will need to cut off the front posts no matter what you do.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 05/31/16 at 10:42:07

I needed my tank to fit really low on the frame, as it needed to line up with the Cafe' seat and side panels, and you wouldn't need to do that on a Cruiser.

The GT tank is a bit longer than the stock tank - but MMRanch has already trimmed off some of the Harley seat already.  The GT380/550 tank gives me a range of 160 miles from full to Reserve....I have about 20 miles left when I switch to RES.  I believe it is about 3.2 gallons from Full to RES.

I do believe a 4 gallon tank in a Cruiser shape would be more visually appealing the cruiser design than the GT tank.  

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #5 - 05/31/16 at 18:40:47

For what it is worth.

My friend at the Chop Shop thinks it would be easier to fabricate a frame backbone and use Dave's decompression lever,than
to modify the tank. There are probably a lot of suitable tanks if it wasn't for the width of the backbone

My friend builds mono shock frames and  has a machine for shaping sheet
metal into gas tanks, fenders etc.

He did not say it would be cheap....LOL

Kenny G

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 05/31/16 at 21:02:52

Thanks guys  ,  last weekend the wife and I took   weekend drive (her car) down to Natchez MS. just to see the campground on the South end (Its a fit place to camp but no showers).   We didn't get fuel at lunch and found no  fuel for a hundred miles without having to back-track for a while --- her car has a 600 mile cruse range so we were OK anyway --- but a 200 mile range on the bike would be good sometimes .  Smiley

I'm going to keep an eye on ebay for some one parting out a Vulcan 750 and then measure for a speedometer cable long enough to reach the handlebar.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #7 - 05/31/16 at 21:26:39

M M,

If you have an old time speedometer shop in your area they will make a speedometer cable any length that may want.....

Kenny G

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 06/01/16 at 02:30:39

Kenny G wrote on 05/31/16 at 21:26:39:
M M,

If you have an old time speedometer shop in your area they will make a speedometer cable any length that may want.....

Kenny G

I remember when you could find one of those shops.
And payphones.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 06/01/16 at 03:52:36

A few weeks ago I wanted to use a payphone to call a "troublesome" resident in the City I work for.....and I didn't want them to have access to my cell phone number.

I drove around for an hour.......there are no payphones around our town anymore!

For a 200 mile range - you are going to have to get something over 4 gallons.  The Vulcan 750 is 3.6 gallons.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 06/01/16 at 05:44:07

I just walk into a business and ask if I can use the phone. The bank was very accommodating,  let me use an office,

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #11 - 06/01/16 at 07:06:28

Awhile back I had possession of this 2003 GZ250. The tank on it is nearly a gallon larger than the Savage and has nice lines for a cruiser tank. I think it would fit with little modification  BUT the front mounting tabs on the Savage would have to be altered. Below are some pictures of the from of both tanks. The Savage on the top and GZ on the bottom.

131092616092261170.jpg

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #12 - 06/01/16 at 07:08:07

This pic shows difference in mounting tabs. The tabs on the Savage would need to be narrowed and set forward some. The rear tabs are nearly a dead wringer with little modifying needed. Savage on left.

131092633677546059.jpg

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #13 - 06/01/16 at 07:24:34

Dave wrote on 06/01/16 at 03:52:36:
A few weeks ago I wanted to use a payphone to call a "troublesome" resident in the City I work for.....and I didn't want them to have access to my cell phone number.

I drove around for an hour.......there are no payphones around our town anymore!

For a 200 mile range - you are going to have to get something over 4 gallons.  The Vulcan 750 is 3.6 gallons.

with cell phones so prevalent, no one uses payphones anymore, and folks vandalize them, so there's no profit in them anymore

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 06/01/16 at 08:12:55

I am looking at a few Suzuki GS tanks on eBay.  The GS850 is reported to have a 5.6 gallon tank!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-80-Suzuki-GS850GLT-Gas-Tank-/371596201876?hash=i...

http://www.suzukicycles.org/GS-series/GS850G.shtml

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:26:48

General CategoryThe Cafe › Larger fuel tank ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.