Trip Odometer (Read 93 times)
calabria1922
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Trip Odometer
05/28/16 at 22:15:37

Hi Everyone!

I have just gotten back into riding after a 25 year hiatus and my wife has decided to start riding for the first time.  Since I researched the crap out of what is available, when choosing my bike, I had a good start on helping her find a good starter bike.  In fact, the S40 was on my final list before I chose a Honda CTX700.  Early last month I found a 2013 S40 with 225 miles in Portland, OR for her.  She passed her endorsement test and has now racked up over 1000 miles on the odometer, which brings me to the purpose of my post - what is out there for providing some means of tracking her mileage between fill-ups.  She is looking for a visual indicator while she is riding, as to how many miles to go before she needs to fill up.  Ideas I have come up with are:

1) some kind of number counter that could be mounted and manually set, like a 3 digit luggage lock, set to a 100 miles since her last fill up

2) add a bicycle computer, put a more powerful magnet somewhere on the front rim than what comes in the kit, mount the sensor on the fork, and zero the trip odometer every time she fills up.  I actually saw where someone successfully did this...

3) ???

I know what you are thinking, why not just have her switch to reserve when needed, but she doesn't like that idea and after being together 36 years, I know when to stop suggesting.  Also the reserve amount doesn't give her a lot of comfort.  The engineer in me just has to rig something up for her.

So, any help you all could provide, I would really appreciate it.

Have a blessed day!

Scott.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Re: Trip Odometer
Reply #1 - 05/28/16 at 22:32:44

Calabria,

Many of us use a 3 digit luggage lock.

I have mine mounted on the master cylinder for the front brake. I cannot always see it clearly when I am riding, but it is easy enough to check when I am at a stop sign or stop light.

When I first started riding my S40, I would write the mileage for the next fill up on a piece of masking tape and stick it on the speedometer.

Have your wife practice switching to reserve before she needs it, so she can find the reserve lever when she gets to where she will need it.

Good Luck with the new ride.

Kenny G

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #2 - 05/29/16 at 03:08:18

one of my bikes as the bicycle computer.  Works fine up to about 70mph.. then gets confused at times.   I ride back roads mostly, so not a problem.
If you go that route, do NOT get a wireless one.  Electrical noise from the engine messes those up.
Mine looks like this: http://www.amazon.com/Bell-DASHBOARD-100-Function-Cyclocomputer/dp/B001FCFK5C
Hmmmm.. says it has a clock.  Need to see if mine does!

the other bike has a Vapor Trail Tech. http://www.trailtech.net/digital-gauges/vapor
Fancier, has a tach, you can move your inidcator lights to the optional dash enclosure.  Harder to install if you do the full monty

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
calabria1922
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/29/16 at 22:34:58

Thanks everyone for the replies!  I took a look at the links and shared them with the wife.  I need her to set up an account for herself.

Really good idea to have her practice switching to reserve while she is driving.  You don't want to be figuring that out for the first time going down the highway.  I have showed her how to do it but didn't have luck with getting her to practice it.  I had her read the post and she did nod that she needs to.  Thanks guys!!!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 05/30/16 at 04:37:47

Yep, switching the petcock is a good thing to know, and with some experience she will be able to recognize the little miss in the engine and make the switch - without the engine ever running completely out of fuel.

Another mileage option that work for some - is a grease pencil, and you just mark the mileage on the mirror.  (A luggage lock is not as messy).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/30/16 at 12:39:52

After mine died at inopportune moments, like at a light, I started flipping to prime when the miles were close to fill up time as I came into a spot where a cough and sputter could be bad, then, on the straight, back to run, and hunting for a station.
I think it's a good idea to swing it back and forth some anyway.
Don't want to Need to go to reserve and it's stiff,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #6 - 05/30/16 at 14:05:23

I use a magic marker to write the mileage on the gas cap.
Somebody on this forum suggested filling up when the odometer gets to an even 100 miles. That seems pretty foolproof but you do fill up more often than strictly necessary.

Another thing, if you put a Raptor petcock on the bike the reserve will be less than the Suzuki petcock.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #7 - 05/30/16 at 17:14:51

I've occasionally used my phone to take a picture of the odometer when I'm checking mileage. Not so much use for reminding you on the go, though.  Hope your wife loves the Cabbage.  Cool. Ride safe.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #8 - 05/30/16 at 19:11:53

I have a "thing" for numbers. I just glance at the odometer before I ride. I know when she's getting hungry.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:23:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Trip Odometer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.