Send Topic Print
New to forum. (Read 489 times)
PurpleRider25
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New to forum.
05/27/16 at 11:07:29

Hi Savage Riders!   I am new to the site. I am very seriously thinking about purchasing a used Savage, aka S40.  So going shopping this weekend!

I haven't had the chance to actually test ride one yet, but have sat on several at dealers and liked the way it fit me.  I am a mature lady rider and I am a little vertically challenged  at 5'3".

I have owned a Vstar 650 and Vstar 1100 in the past, but stopped riding for 6 years after a bad car accident.    So I got back in the saddle last year with the Honda Rebel.    Now ready to move up. Don't want a big cruiser again, so the Savage is very appealing to me.

I have a few questions, if anyone could offer their honest 2 cents it would be appreciated.  

Hubby rides a Goldwing and is concerned that I won't keep up at highway speeds.   I think it won't be a problem.  Comments?  

Also, I'm wondering how the vibration is at high speeds and the stability of the bike?   Being as I see it's called the "thumper" (love that!), I thought I'd ask.  We ride on the highway frequently.

Being in the beautiful Pacific NW, there are curvy hills everywhere, how does the S40 perform; nimble and easy or not so?  The roads here are not in the best condition especially riding in so

Are there any particular "years" to watch out for that have issues?    I was thinking anything from 2005 and up.  

If I wanted to add risers to bring handlebars forward, which ones work best without changing the cables?

I read threads on buying a used Savage, so will keep them in mind.

Anything special to be aware of while looking at used S40's?  

Thank you for listening and appreciate any helpful suggestions or comments.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: New to forum.
Reply #1 - 05/27/16 at 11:22:33

That is a lot to respond to....I will hit some of the questions.

The bike is incredibly nimble and fun and well suited to riding on the mountains.....your husband and his GoldWing may have trouble keeping up with you!

For reliability and trustworthyness...buy as new of a model as you can afford.  The 2004 and later models have some nice changes to the electrical controls.....a passing light and emergency flashers.  You should try and find a bike that was stored indoors and has little corrosion.

The only problem areas for reliability are the vacuum petcock, the head plug (oil leak), and the cam chain tensioner.  The petcock issue is solved by installing a genuine Yamaha Raptor petcock, the head plug leak is repaired by installing a Verslagen head plug that you can buy here, and the cam chain issue is also solved by installing a modified tensioner from Verslagen.

When you go ride a bike, it should not have any loud banging or rattling....but the cam/rockers do make a bit of noise.  The bike should also accelerate smoothly...if it surges or accelerates unevenly with partial throttle, you will need to have the carb re-jetted, and that is a common issue as the stock jetting is pretty lean to satisfy the EPA.

Any bike much older than 5-8 year should have tires replaced if they are the original tires.

And don't be in a hurry to buy one....shop around and find a good one.  There are plenty of good ones out there.....and also a lot that have been abused.

What is Highway Speed?  Around here the traffic tends to go 70 and over.  The Savage will do that - but if you make a habit at traveling at those speeds or higher....you most likely will want to do something about the gearing.  A 140/90 rear tire helps, and changing the front pulley to a Kawasaki pulley also helps. This does throw your speedometer out of whack however - but does lower the engine rpm when cruising.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/27/16 at 11:28:00

PurpleRider25 wrote on 05/27/16 at 11:07:29:
Hubby rides a Goldwing and is concerned that I won't keep up at highway speeds.   I think it won't be a problem.  Comments?  
There should be no problem keeping up, riding in hot weather, you may want to keep to the speed limits though.
Quote:
Also, I'm wondering how the vibration is at high speeds and the stability of the bike?   Being as I see it's called the "thumper" (love that!), I thought I'd ask.  We ride on the highway frequently.
if you notice vibes beyond a reasonable amount... then there's a few bolts to check, when they loosen up, it vibrates more.
Quote:
Being in the beautiful Pacific NW, there are curvy hills everywhere, how does the S40 perform; nimble and easy or not so?  The roads here are not in the best condition especially riding in so
the savage suspension is not the best and you feel more cause it's a light bike, so rough roads maybe an issue, but smooth curvy roads are a joy.
Quote:
Are there any particular "years" to watch out for that have issues?    I was thinking anything from 2005 and up.  
No issues that I know of.

Quote:
 If I wanted to add risers to bring handlebars forward, which ones work best without changing the cables?

If it's the one with the drag bar and risers, and you want to move them forward? turn the risers around.
but I think you mean rearward or towards you... you could probably add an inch spacer on the bottom.
Otherwise, I think you may want the buckhorn style.

WWW   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #3 - 05/27/16 at 11:28:35

Welcome PurpleRider25. Here is my 2 cents worth. If you want to cruise on the highway all day at 80 mph, get something else. If you are going to cruise at 65 mph or so you will be glad you have the Savage when you reach the twisties or even the long sweepers.

The bike is very light which is great for lower speeds and even for the twisties, but because it is so light you really feel the cars or big trucks on the highway. The faster you go the more you feel the vibration but it is really not unacceptable.

I try to keep my S40 at 65 on the highway but somehow or other I often end up going much faster. It can cruise at 75 but you are pushing it a bit, greatly reducing your mpg and increasing oil consumption.

I'll stop here and let the experts tell you more. As far as I am concerned I like the bike, it is a very good all around bike.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #4 - 05/27/16 at 18:12:46

Less vibration than most twins. (Unnoticeable at all to me.)

* The 140/90 tire will give you roughly  a positive 5%  increase in MPH @ RPM and the Kawasaki 25 tooth front pulley will give you roughly 9%.  
* A chain conversion will give you a roughly 16% increase in MPH @ RPM.  
 Either option allow a comfortable 70 MPH @ 4000 RPM  (4,000 RPM = 60MPH in factory trim ).   Cool  
The S40 is light, nimble and very easy to maintain. The weak points are known and easily dealt with.    

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
PurpleRider25
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/27/16 at 19:08:09

Hi.  Thanks for the comments. I appreciate them.  I am going to take my time and get a good bike for me.  I hope to test one this weekend. Smiley  
I am finicky and want a bike in good shape and with the accessories I would like on it.

As far as high speeds, just around 70 mph or so on the highway. I am a conservative rider, but hubby is a more aggressive rider.  So he leaves me in the dirt sometimes. Lol.

The hubby like the Vstar 650 for me; but been there, done that.  So don't think I want another one.     I want something easy to handle.  

Any tips on a handlebar riser?   I have a shoulder issues still and don't like to "reach" for the bars.   My arms are a bit on the short side.   Undecided

Thanks again!

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #6 - 05/27/16 at 20:07:19

Purple,

What year Savage/S40 do you have?

If it is one of the newer S40s with the bent risers and drag bars you can cut down the risers. Don't cut them to less than 2" or controls on the right side will drag on the gas cap.

If you can accurately saw, drill, and tap you can do it yourself for no cost other than a little of your time.

Kenny G

IMG_0408.JPG
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #7 - 05/28/16 at 07:26:26

Welcome!
I went from a Rebel to an S40 and I LOVED IT!
a bit more room, 20 mph higher top speed, a firmer suspension, enough extra weight to make it feel stable in corners but still light and nimble
Basically it was like a slightly bigger, more powerful Rebel
As Springman said, 65 is the best cruising speed, but the bike doesn't shake at 70, it hums, and it'll surprise your husband on those mountain twisties (unless he's the YouTube Legend Yellow Wolf, that guy DRAGS KNEES on a Goldwing)

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #8 - 05/28/16 at 17:54:03

Purple,
There is a lot of good input here. The only thing I've got to say is that the Savage vibrates less than the HD V Twin I used to ride.
This link is a recent post by another new comer who's wife went from a Savage to that V thingy and back to a Savage.
The thread wanders rapidly but the beginning is where the meat is anyway.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1464122761

The power of a Savage will surprise you I'm sure. It still does me. I agree; 65mph is a good speed for the Savage BUT it seems like it is always wanting to go 70! Shocked

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 05/28/16 at 19:03:41

If he's Really concerned about you keeping up, he will let you lead.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 05/29/16 at 06:31:03

Hiya Purple! welcome! Smiley

You sound like your stature is about the same size as my wife's, except you are taller by 2" !! Smiley
My wife also went from a Honda rebel to a LS650 (2001) and she has no problem handling it, well, except the back up the hill thing Smiley
Everyone here has covered most of the questions asked, so I will just stick with the one I think pertains the most.
If you have shoulder problems and don't want to have to reach for it, I would get a set of buck horn bars if the bike you have does not have them.
I am 5'10" tall and wanted to be comfortable riding, so not only did I get a savage with the buck horn bars, but I added some aluminum 2" spacers to get them higher for me.
You would just have to pull the bars down toward you and rotate the brake and clutch to make it fit you better Smiley
Here is a video of what I did and what they look like.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #11 - 05/29/16 at 14:07:50

I've ridden about 30000 miles on mine and have had no issues other than a battery dying outside a dealership. I believe my cheap version Air Hawk seat pad helps a bit. Your riding will be limited by the small fuel tank 100 miles safe, 120 miles you're stretching things, 130 miles plus, pray. As others have pointed out your oil consumption will increase if you do long distances at 70 mph plus. The 140/90 rear tyre idea is good. The Kawasaki pulley idea needs machining skills or the expense of a machinist. The raptor mod is DIY and inexpensive. If the bike has the original IRC rear tyre get rid of it. I found an instant improvement in stability once I did this and there are threads on this forum dealing with rider experiences with different brands. If you do buy, get some riding in before doing modifications. Will dealerships allow a thirty mile test ride?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #12 - 05/30/16 at 21:03:24

Another little thing, the rear brake is prone to lock up, if applied hard, be careful.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
PurpleRider25
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/05/16 at 16:24:23

Hello. Thanks everyone for the responses.   I am still interested in getting the Savage, but just want to know if there is any special fuel you need to use?  Most fuel around here has Ethanol, is that okay?  Do you need to add anything to gas?   Hubby still not too keen on this bike, he seems to think that the bike won't be enough to keep up and has other misguided assumptions about the one cylinder engine.  So am I working on him.  We went to look at and I test rode the Vstar 650 and a Vulcan, but just did not feel comfortable on the bike.  I know I used to ride the Vstar, but now don't feel comfortable on them.  I feel better suited with the Savage at this point in my life and won't want another bigger bike later down the road. Since I am looking at used bikes,  how do you find out if the recommended changes were done; the petcock, rejet of carbs and the plug? If the current owner doesn't know?    Is the plug still available?    

Thank you.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #14 - 06/05/16 at 16:44:50

You want to run ethanol free fuel if possible. If you can't find it then don't worry about it. The bike will run on the lowest octane rating you find too. It only has 8.5:1 compression so no high octane fuel needs.

Look at the petcock. Does it have an off setting? If not, it's probably stock.

If the carb has been rejected then all is well. If not, then you can ride as is or you can jet it richer. It won't hurt anything to ride with stock carb jets. You'll have to open it up to know for sure.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:32:18

General CategoryThe Cafe › New to forum.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.