Send Topic Print
New to forum. (Read 489 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: New to forum.
Reply #15 - 06/05/16 at 18:31:42

If the carb has been rejected then all is well.

Well, except for the carb... it's a reject...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #16 - 06/05/16 at 18:55:30

Aaaaaaaa!  Shocked

Stupid spell checker! I have to check the checker to make sure I'm saying what I'm typing!

Who's watching the watchers?  Grin

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 06/05/16 at 20:40:00

You think I haven't been bit by that stupid thing?
I just get a cheap thrill outta having fun with other victims.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #18 - 06/05/16 at 21:00:58

Hi Purple

I'm 190#'s , 5'10" , and have a long legged Sportster for my second bike with my S-40 being #1 bike.   I rode my S-40 over 800 miles in one day last April with no issue .   Mostly cruising the super slab at 75 or 80 mph.  getting 48-50 mpg.   Running along at 55 mph I get about 55 - 58 mpg.  

I ride around with my CMA buddies on long rides (They all have monster bikes , two of them have goldwings )  ... on any road besides the interstate I can leave them at my will --- and on the interstate I keep-up just fine .  

YOUR HUSBAND WILL HAVE MORE TROUBLE KEEPING UP WITH YOU THAN YOU WILL KEEPING UP WITH HIM !  Wink

You can run on any Gas you can fine .

The cam chain thing is no issue till the 15,000 - 18,000 mile neighborhood .   Then Its no big deal to fix it for the next 30,000 miles.

The fuel petcock is no problem till your in the 10 year old area , then its a <$20.oo / 1 hr.  fix . --- forever more.

We have a buddy in San Antonio , Tx with over 130,000 miles on one of his Savages and still ridding it.   He's the one that's got me ready to put an 880 Metzeler tire on the back of mine next time.   Smiley

I've only got about 65,000 Savage miles now , but I'm still working on it !

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #19 - 06/06/16 at 07:45:41

full disclosure, MM's bike has a larger than stock front pulley
Here's the thing to ask hubby
Do you want to get the bike YOU like better, and it maybe goes in storage, or do you want to get the bike I like better, and maybe slow down a little bit?
If you don't like the bike, you won't ride it, just step out my front door and ask my Swing how much use it's getting

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 06/06/16 at 08:18:31

Purple, where are you located?
Maybe he can join one of our rides this summer to assuage his apprehensions.
Or one us can join up on a ride with your group.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #21 - 06/06/16 at 09:30:52

I bought a Savage last fall. No mods see done before I got mine and the only thing I've done is change out the fuel petcock. I've not changed the jetting. It popps once in awhile if I don't ease off on tv throttle but nothing big really. I'm getting ready to send a chain adjuster to Verslagen for modification soon.

I bought my bike the end of Oct. and have put around 2500 miles on and will not turn back. This is one of the best all 'rounders I've ridden. I trust it completely at this point.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #22 - 06/06/16 at 18:13:00

I've often considered a larger, faster, etc. bike but then I thought -- why? My S40 does everything I need it to do. It's no crotch rocket but I have no problem keeping up with anyone or outrunning traffic if I have to.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
PurpleRider25
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 06/06/16 at 18:56:57

Hubby and I had discussion and he wants me to get something I will ride and not sit in the garage.  So he was concerned that the single cylinder engine would "beat me up" on the freeway.  I explained to him that does not appear to be the case with this bike and so I am going to look at one at a used bike shop and test ride it tomorrow.     I am planning on a windshield and saddlebags, etc once I get one. Smiley

There is a nice 2013 in CL for reasonable price too; waiting for a response.  Low mileage, looks brand new.  Hoping that one will work out.   Love that copper and black combo.   There was an 2002 with low mileage and with the original IRC  tires.  The owner seemed to think the tires were fine.  I am gonna pass on that one. Unless he sells really cheap.   But I'd rather pay a bit more and get the newest model I can with my budget.  

Glad to know that the "fixes" don't need to be done right away.    

Thanks again for all the feedback, I really appreciate it!   We are in the Seattle area.  

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #24 - 06/07/16 at 07:50:10

well when you go on the test ride take that baby out on the freeway and run her up to 70 for a while, then you'll know
personally to me a Savage at 70 feels not much different than a Rebel at 70,.......except it's still got some in reserve

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #25 - 06/07/16 at 10:40:17

When I bought mine, one of the sellers honestly didn't know about aging tires.  He eventually thanked me for possibly saving his life since he was moving and was going to ride it up from Colorado Springs to Denver (pretty fast freeway speeds here).  He offered to put new tires on it and still sell it for the listed price.  I ended up buying a newer year model with less miles and in the color I wanted.  It also had old tires (sheesh!) and I explained that I would need to change them if I bought it.  So we agreed on a reduced price of the bike to compensate.

I also run the larger rear tire which really helped on the freeway, but there is almost no difference from 4th to 5th gear on these bikes; it barely drops the RPM's.  

I'm in the process of swapping to the Kawasaki front pulley to further help on the freeway.  A real Savage Surgeon on this site (Dave) occasionally machines and sells these modified front pulleys (hope you don't mind me throwing that out there, Dave).
Even with the pulley in hand, there are still some little 'tweaks' needed to some spots on the bike to get it to work, but nothing too crazy.  A little trimming on the belt guard etc.
Just stuff to keep in mind.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 06/07/16 at 12:17:41

Tocsik wrote on 06/07/16 at 10:40:17:
 A real Savage Surgeon on this site (Dave) occasionally machines and sells these modified front pulleys (hope you don't mind me throwing that out there, Dave).
Even with the pulley in hand, there are still some little 'tweaks' needed to some spots on the bike to get it to work, but nothing too crazy.  A little trimming on the belt guard etc.
Just stuff to keep in mind.

I don't mind you mentioning this....you and old.indian got the first two that I machined, and are the first to use the pulleys that I have machined.  I have been running the Kawasaki pulley on my bike for about 6,500 miles, and MMRanch most likely has a lot more miles.....and badwolf has been using them for a while.  They can drop the engine rpm by 8% - and it makes a noticeable difference in the engine rpm at highway speeds.

I will make more as time permits - for the next month I don't believe I will have any more pulleys machined (unless the grass stops growing and I don't have to spend time mowing every 5 days)

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #27 - 06/07/16 at 12:34:57

Dave wrote on 06/07/16 at 12:17:41:
(unless the grass stops growing and I don't have to spend time mowing every 5 days)

Uuhhhgggg! I'm about ready to move into an apartment. Momma has us mowing constantly around here it seems. I draw the line @ once a week but it's a job dodging all the flower beds and trees. I've put in a moratorium on flower beds on this ranch!

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #28 - 06/07/16 at 20:39:56

I've seriously considered just graveling the whole fool yard

IP Logged
PurpleRider25
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 06/07/16 at 20:53:47

Went to see the bike at the used bike shop. Just took for it short drive down the street, as rush hour traffic was in full force.  Owner told me to come back on Saturday and take it for a longer run. So that is the plan.  I did like tho.  It's a 2011 with 1200 miles. A bit dusty.  Seem to run okay.  Normal for high idle?   Had stock petcock and prob all else is stock.  So I'll make final decision this weekend.   What type of bolt on windshield works well with this bike?   Is buckhorn bars hard to put on? Can you use the stock cables?  Think I would like the buckhorn style better.  I Need the stock bars towards me a little more.   Thanks!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:36:03

General CategoryThe Cafe › New to forum.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.