Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
bikebandit.com - let's see how good they are (Read 215 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
bikebandit.com - let's see how good they are
05/26/16 at 13:39:38

I just ordered Shinko 230's, front and back, inner tubes and rim strips for a total of about $158.00. Competition Accessories had a slightly better price on the tires but their tubes were much more expensive.

When the tires come in I'll check the date stamp on them and just let you all know in general how things go with this purchase.

I still have some tread left on my rear tire so I may go a couple of months without changing it. Of course if it continues to rain as much as it has these last 2 months I may just go ahead and put that good rubber on there for the sake of safety anyway. Wink

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Re: bikebandit.com - let's see how good they are
Reply #1 - 05/26/16 at 15:04:17

That's a pretty good buy on rubber. Be interesting to see how it goes.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/26/16 at 17:53:46

I have been buying all my tires from BikeBandit for the past few years.  I am an AMA member and get a 10% discount, and they offer free shipping.  Only once did they send me an out of date tire.....and they replaced it when I contacted them.  They don't stock the tires....they have them drop shipped to you from their nearest distributor....so BikeBandit never sees or touches your tire.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 05/26/16 at 18:13:09

Does an "older" new tire really pose a problem? I mean, it sits in a warehouse not exposed to the sun's UV radiation, no tread wear, no excessive loads on the tire, etc. Do we need to be concerned about a 3 year old "new" tire?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #4 - 05/26/16 at 20:22:55

Kris01 wrote on 05/26/16 at 18:13:09:
Does an "older" new tire really pose a problem? I mean, it sits in a warehouse not exposed to the sun's UV radiation, no tread wear, no excessive loads on the tire, etc. Do we need to be concerned about a 3 year old "new" tire?

This'd be my question too?

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 05/27/16 at 04:20:42

Kris01 wrote on 05/26/16 at 18:13:09:

Most new tires have a coating or are wrapped to help keep them fresh - but the rubber does age from outgassing and exposure to heat (don't store them in hot garage or in your car).  

"Word" on the street is that you should not be riding on a tire that is more than 5 years old....more conservative folks would say 3 if you like to push the limits in the corner.  The Rescue bike I bought last year was a 2002 with original tires (14 years old), and they didn't have any age cracks and looked good - but if you pushed it you could tell the tires were hard and slippery.  I have no idea how they would have performed in the rain!

You need to consider your riding style, and how many miles you ride a year.  You want to have your tire worn out and order replacements within 5 years of the manufacturer date on the tire.  So if the "new" tire you were just sent has been in their warehouse for 3 years....you only have 2 years to were it out.  That is also a consideration on what kind of tire (how expensive) you buy.  If you only ride 1,000 miles a year, there is no reason to buy a 15,000 - 20,000 mile Michelin Commander, and you would be better off buying a set of Shinko's.

If you ride very calmly, never push the limits, only ride when it is dry, and keep your bike in a garage with mild temperatures....you could probably use a tire for 10 years - but it will not have the same traction in the last 5 years that it did in the first 5 years.

When I get a "new" tire.......I expect that it will always be at least 4 months old - and don't accept one that is more than a year old.  Luckily the sizes that I buy are common, and the tire inventory moves in/out of the warehouse quickly.  I buy my tires around February though May, I never buy tires in the fall....as they most likely are from the spring production 6 months previous - and I won't be riding on them for another 8 months when warm weather returns the next year.

And.....all of this is just my opinion.  Oldfeller wears his tires out, and rides on them until the tread is gone.  I don't believe he worries about how old they are.....same for MMRanch.  They both ride really well, and if the bike slides a bit they just adapt their riding style to match!  

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 05/27/16 at 05:31:12

I've got a set of Metzler 880's on REX that are in the 6-8 year range.
There are no cracks and virtually no wear and they ride just fine.
The tires I just purchased to replace the rubber on the Sportster and the S40 are also 880's.  I got them for just $90 something for the rear and $60 for the front. It was slightly used but to look at it more than 90% of the tread is there.  The rear's are 1 year old and the front is 2 years old.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #7 - 05/27/16 at 11:48:04

That sounds like a great buy on the Metzelers Lancer.

My current front tire is a Pirelli and it is 10 years old. During the 3 sisters ride we rode on many wet roads. The day we rode the sisters the roads were wet. On one of the first curves I felt my front tire slip. It scared me good. I immediately slowed down a bit and still had the front tire slip on me a few more times. Yes, I do want a new tire on the front. My rear Shinko 712 I feel has always had good grip, but it is just about worn out.

By the way, BikeBandit has indicated my tires shipped today. Not bad.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 05/29/16 at 10:08:42

Just changed my rear tire 2 days ago. Branded 019... And not 2009, tire was installed on my 98 back in 2000. 😈

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #9 - 05/29/16 at 18:49:40

Update. So far so good. Delivery of tires attempted yesterday Saturday, unfortunately I had tires shipped to the office as I expected delivery to take a while. Oh well, not working on Monday so I guess I will have them Tuesday.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #10 - 05/29/16 at 20:16:49

Lancer :
I've got a set of Metzler 880's on REX that are in the 6-8 year range.
There are no cracks and virtually no wear and they ride just fine.
The tires I just purchased to replace the rubber on the Sportster and the S40 are also 880's.  I got them for just $90 something for the rear and $60 for the front. It was slightly used but to look at it more than 90% of the tread is there.  The rear's are 1 year old and the front is 2 years old.

So how many  miles should I expect to get on a rear 880 ?   Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 05/30/16 at 03:03:47

Depends on how you ride -- 15,000 for MM Tennessee style riding, with a mostly upright flat spot wear out being your type of total "long haul" wear out miles.

Last you a couple of 3-4 years.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #12 - 05/30/16 at 20:22:38

Your right OldFeller

I should just put a car tire on and be done with it !  Wink

I'm in need of a Dark-Side tire for the Sportster now .  That would be a  16 inch rim , in the 150-155-160 width , 75-80-85 profile ,

The commander II only lasted about 15,000 miles .  Embarrassed  On the Sportster that is.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 06/01/16 at 12:38:51

So.....what about those tires that were delivered yesterday?

Enquiring minds want to know!

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #14 - 06/01/16 at 13:59:12

Actually Fedex just delivered them today a few minutes ago. The front tire is dated 2815 and the rear tire 4815. The tubes came with the tires but the rim strips have yet to arrive. I may have to inquire about the rim strips.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:29:52

General CategoryThe Cafe › bikebandit.com - let's see how good they are

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.