ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: tuneing your intake
Reply #75 - 06/24/16 at 10:28:46

VortecCPI wrote on 06/24/16 at 10:07:47:
CFD work and dyno work has shown this is not true for small airflows like what we are dealing with here.  A 10,000 HP dragster engine pulling 3,000 CFM, yes, but not our puny engines.  Twice the flow or velocity equates to four times the pressure drop so it will become a problem with very large air flow/velocity.  That being said the inside corner should definitely be chamfered/radiused.

Aside from actual study and dyno work, safer to include a bell mouth of some sort.  Similar to our bike, people put pod filters on the cb750 and they perform terribly... until they separate the carb and filter with a small bell mouth.

WWW   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #76 - 06/24/16 at 12:44:01

Those tiny cone pod filters were only designed for small spaces and not for performance. In most cases the bigger the air filter the better. Look at the giant air filters used on flat trackers and not just the Harley's , all of them. For the best performance use the biggest filter you have space for, Versy's set up most likely has possibility of more flow than his giant carb can use. All that ram induction stuff is fun to calculate & play with but I don't think its any more efficient than just going as big a flow as you can get! And even so it's only going to improve performance for a specific rpm range.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
VortecCPI

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #77 - 06/25/16 at 04:32:54

verslagen1 wrote on 06/24/16 at 10:28:46:
Aside from actual study and dyno work, safer to include a bell mouth of some sort.  Similar to our bike, people put pod filters on the cb750 and they perform terribly... until they separate the carb and filter with a small bell mouth.

I can not disagree on "safer" but it is not necessary and space makes it very difficult.

Poor performance with pod filters is almost always because the pod filter flange covers CV air bleeds at the carb bell.  This is a huge issue with cheap/junk pod filters.

Examples below:

http://www.choppercharles.com/2013/12/jetting-made-easy.html

http://www.xs500forum.com/index.php?topic=1357.0

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #78 - 06/25/16 at 10:14:03

Versy is correct as well as his posted links. It's  not so much it's shape but surface size, find surface size of stock filter then you want more not less or your new filter. Then increasing spacing between carb and filter gives air time to stabilize/straighten out and speed up going into carb. If we had room I would also be increasing distance between carb and intake port for the same reason.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #79 - 06/25/16 at 11:55:26

Versy , I'm curious have you ever dynoed your beast? Your kinda tight lipped with your engine mods. The rest of us would like to know. Give us a  HP goal or what's in that top end. When I'm done testntune mine is going to see the dyno guy across town!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
mastercarstech
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #80 - 06/25/16 at 13:58:28

Verslagen and a couple others turned me onto the problem with cheapo cone filters covering the carb idle ports a while ago. Mine came with one attached directly to the carb so I got a piece of pipe and moved it out about 5 inches. Seemed to run okay but obviously running rich, puffed black smoke a little at idle and a lot when you goosed the throttle. Pulled the spark plug and it was solid black with only about 50 miles on it!
Tried adjusting the pilot screw and could turn it all the way in with no change. So today I decided to install the Jets I got from Lancer. Found the pilot jet in it was a 57! Stock should have been a 47.5 so I'm guessing someone was doing their best to get the thing to idle with that pod filter on it and the idle passes blocked. Lol! I switched it out for a 52.5 which should get me in the ballpark for the new intake/filter setup I'm making.
Again, beware who's been playing with your machine if it's new to you.  Shocked

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #81 - 06/26/16 at 03:16:32

I think it is a good idea, when you get a bike that is new to you, to pull the carb and check to see what jets are installed and if everything is clean inside.  If you are going to tune the bike/adjust the carburetor, then you need to know what the condition of it is before you start.  
That just makes sense.

IP Logged
VortecCPI

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #82 - 06/26/16 at 04:46:19

Lots of HD XR1200 dyno work here:  http://www.phaedrus.me/id158.html

Almost any additional length will result in better performance.  The least-efficient configuration is filter pods directly on carbs.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #83 - 06/26/16 at 10:18:31

Lancer , What about you ever dynoed your bike? Or will you tell us what's in your top end ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #84 - 06/26/16 at 13:12:09

Ruttly wrote on 06/26/16 at 10:18:31:
Lancer , What about you ever dynoed your bike? Or will you tell us what's in your top end ?

The last time REX was dyno'd it indicated he was producing 43 hp.
0-60 time was 4.9 sec
1/4 mile was 11.9 sec. @ 89 or 90 mph.

That was done with the original Stage 1 cam, the outer ring  on the exhaust port opened, 36mm VM carb, stock piston/compression ratio, cylinder had Silicone Carbide Treatment,  1.75" OD header with good flowing muffler, Barnett HD clutch springs.
12.5" Progressive shocks, heavy weight oil in the forks

Since then the exhaust ports have been smoothed slightly, a 97mm Wiseco high compression piston added (10.5:1 CR vs the stock 8.5:1), and in the process of doing the fork mod using the Gold Emulators, and the front disc brake mod, both which have been described on this forum in the past.

When this work is all complete we shall see if I gained anything by it.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #85 - 06/26/16 at 13:20:11

I will likely mount the velocity stack I have for the performance runs.
In the book that was discussed in another thread, about 4-stroke performance, the charts on motorcycle speeds/times a velocity stack in the 4-6" range out performed every other type of intake.
There is some interesting stuff in that book.

"Performance Tuning in Theory & Practice"  by A. Graham Bell

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #86 - 06/26/16 at 13:37:06

he charts on motorcycle speeds/times a velocity stack in the 4-6" range out performed every other type of intake.

Does that include a filter?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #87 - 06/26/16 at 15:04:17

Thanks for all that info Michael that gives me an idea where mine will be. My teacher Dima Elgin made us design a engine around a cam, the megacycle cam I won from a friend in a drinking contest , boy did I pay for that hungover for days. Graph the cam,bore & stroke,comp ratio,carb cfm, exhaust length all came together as one fast SR500 but never was put on a dyno. All from math from that book. But with the Ryca I did none of that , I just got together some parts & built it. As follows a Web cam STD has alittle more lift & duration than stock & hard faced the rockers, ported the head myself and removed all sharp edges in combustion chamber, 10:5 97mm wiesco & Boretech coated , 36vm mikuni with UFO,quad Wingy thingy,dialajet with a heat shield between head & carb,2" header 1 7/8 ID
With a muffler I built, repackable, Barnett clutch & springs , Versy's tensioner & plug. So far so good, guess the gearing is higher than I thought, should pull right past 100 mph easy. On One real hard run it barked rear tire & carried front tire for 30 feet on a first to second shift , she's got some big nuts that's for sure,seat & paint and she'll look as sexy as she is fast !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #88 - 06/26/16 at 15:45:32

Yep, our 650/700 can pull pretty darn good when set up correctly.
Even with the crappy exhaust ports that Suzuki put in there purposely...to bad they did not see fit to give us a decent set like the DR has.
You have the Webcam cam ?  Yea, it is just up slightly from the stock cam.
The UFO can really add some hp to the first half of the rpm range.  Thunder Products says 1 hp for each 100cc of engine size, so that makes 6-7 extra hp for our engine, and that is quite a kick in the butt !   It can be a bit hard to deal with jetting/tuning wise, so I don't highlight it like I use to, there were just too many folks that had a lot of difficulty dealing with it.  If someone asks me about it then ok, but otherwise I don't mention it.
Wow, a 2" OD/1 7/8" ID header !  That is pretty big.  I use the 1.75"OD but would like to build a 1.65" OD/1.5"ID.  I think it might be functionally a bit better for torque & power, but that is down the road a bit...many things to do before that.
I'm in the process of modifying the barn for better air flow.  It is really freaking hot in there and I need some "flow through ventilation".  Then a heavy duty work bench is needed.  Then there is my dad's '75 Chevy C20 truck that needs to be rebuilt; yea, everything  needs rebuilding since it has sat for 5-7 years minimum.  350 engine, 4 spd. on the floor with a granny 1st gear, the stock bed was removed a long time ago and a steel flat bed was built on it.  He bought the truck brand new  back then and it has been in the family ever since...now it is mine.  I can tie down at least 6 Savages on its maybe 8.  I love it.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #89 - 06/26/16 at 16:32:02

[quote author=283731362B2C1D2D1D25373B70420 link=1464235388/75#86 date=1466973426]he charts on motorcycle speeds/times a velocity stack in the 4-6" range out performed every other type of intake.

Does that include a filter ?

It seems I got a couple of charts mixed up together.
One was for cars in which an "air horn", or velocity stack I assume, was used.  For the car the velocity stack did out perform all but one, and that was very close, like839 to 853 cfm.  There were a total of 10 catagories
The other was a chart for an SR500.
The SR had 4 categories;
1.  34mm Mikuni carb with air filter & air box;
2.  carb with 2 filters + mod. box;
3.  carb + 2 filters;
4.  36mm Mikuni carb

** NO velocity stacks on these as I thought earlier.

In this case 2, 3 & 4 were nearly identical, with 1 being 1 hp ahead between 3-4500k rpm, all even at 5k, and from 5500-7500 from 1-3 hp behind.

Does anyone remember the SR500 having a redline of 7500 ? ?
I sure don't, but ...

My apology about the misinformation earlier.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:29:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › tuneing your intake

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.