zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Re: Done!
Reply #15 - 05/27/16 at 00:53:07

forgot to add:  dyna muffler.
Stuff to try next:  lowered front end, lowered seat (current bike has no frame cuts) as the side covers look awkward.
I was thinking of a VM36 carb, but this one works so good, I'll pass. I'm truly amazed at the acceleration.  I won't try the top speed as the traffic here is terrible and the RCMP would probably grab the keys and toss 'em!
I ground the white spacer to 1/3 normal thickness
and wonder if that made the difference?
Sea level here! Cool
ps: I bolted the rectifier to a chunk of aluminum and bolted that to the frame where the fender used to fasten. in a 'senior moment' I bought a wet-cell battery. Dumb!
Cheers Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 05/27/16 at 05:37:01

zipidachimp wrote on 05/27/16 at 00:53:07:
forgot to add:  dyna muffler.
I was thinking of a VM36 carb, but this one works so good, I'll pass. I'm truly amazed at the acceleration.  I won't try the top speed as the traffic here is terrible and the RCMP would probably grab the keys and toss 'em!
I ground the white spacer to 1/3 normal thickness
and wonder if that made the difference?
)

With a stock engine.....the stock carb can run just fine when jetted properly.  The VM36 works a bit different - but it does not make a huge difference until you start adding a cam, Wiseco, head porting, etc.  The biggest difference between the 2 carbs is mostly the vacuum operated slide, and the VM carb responds just a bit faster.  The VM carb is also a bit more sensitive to what your throttle hand is doing as you shift gears and as you are decelerating.....it can backfire/pop more frequently and louder if you have not learned how to hold the throttle open just slightly to reduce the noise while you shift or are decelerating.  If you let the throttle snap shut with either carb it will get noisy - but a bit more so with the VM.  You also have to be a bit less aggressive with the VM, and you should not just "crack" the throttle open - but you should roll it open or closed.  The CV carb controls the vacuum for you....with the VM you have to be in control.

If you like the way the bike runs, and it has enough power for you - just ride the darn thing!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #17 - 05/27/16 at 06:23:45

if you like the way the bike runs, and it has enough power for you - just ride the darn thing!

Ain't that the whole truth......

As I have shared many times I ride to commute out of necessity.....
As I have to use a ferry to cross water.
The fare is much cheaper, I don't have to wait in the long vehicle lines, etc.
I started with a brand new Rebel, but quickly outgrew its capabilities, as being under powered has safety concerns too!
I bought the S40 straight from its shipping crate, 0 miles.
It has been 4 years and over 20,000 miles of a 26 mile round trip commute......
Other than a belt problem that left me stranded a few days, the bike has answered her call.
I still get guys sitting on their beautiful and costly machines looking at me on the ferry, and I think they are wondering why they didn't buy something more practical and cheaper, as both machines fulfill the same results in commuting.....

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 10:31:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Done!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.