Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
It's SUZUKI's fault ... (Read 217 times)
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
It's SUZUKI's fault ...
05/20/16 at 18:26:29

cruising around looking for build parts, I know a majority of the parts I need are interchangeable between models and years dating back to the 70's up to current years, except whole engines and other model specific crapola ...

I found a part I needed ... checked the listing and it stated:

Quote:
Removed from a 2007 Suzuki Boulevard S50 with 9,333 miles. This bike ran ok, but had excessive cam chain noise.

me  Shocked ... what the #eLL ... so I go on a hunt on other forums, and sure enough it is so common that the responses to posters asking about it are given almost a boilerplate template response, same as on here ...

WTH Suzuki ... even on all the new S-series and M-series bikes ... ???

that CAM CHAIN IS A P.O.S. .... find a new vendor ...

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: It's SUZUKI's fault ...
Reply #1 - 05/21/16 at 08:49:17

Yeah, their fault. Yeah, early chains did Seem to run longer, there could be a materials quality issue, or, maybe what we were seeing was the difference between trip lengths, or, the tensioner springs.
I don't know if we ever got sufficient feedback on the cam chain special order to know if it ran longer.
I Do believe the tensioner is a major player in the chain life.
The pawl catching when it cools down seems to be the killer.
The next warm up is stressing that chain.
Without the pawl, at rpm, there is nothing but the guides to control the chains desire to be a circle.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 05/21/16 at 08:52:25

Try other brands,...
Cam chains do wear out.  Honda's, Kawa's, Yammer's,... any bike with a cam chain...
Vac pet's too... Tongue

Stuff happens...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 05/21/16 at 09:16:42

Well, duuh, stuff wears out. When we see six thousand miles and the tensioner is approaching the end of safe travel and someone else is seeing twenty plus thousand, it might be time to look at why the variation.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #4 - 05/21/16 at 10:26:06

I wasn't looking for an immortal chain ...

when this ISSUE runs across all Suzuki makes and models, then it's time to file a class action claim ...

as Justin pointed out, there's a HUGE discrepancy in quality with these cam chains, some gone in under 3k others with 20k+ ... it's is OBVIOUS there's a QC issue ... just not enough bike bandits are willing to get behind a class action to force Suzuki's hand and fix these NO CHARGE with a longer lasting cam chain ...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 05/21/16 at 11:36:10

Well, it's Easy to point to the mileage differences and say
QC. But the variables remain. Trip length, oils, riding styles, and they did change the spring at some point. Weaker/stronger, IDK. And, to what effect? IDK.  Can we not reasonably assume the quality of the chain is less than it was years ago? Based on everything else I've seen, I'd say yes. But to lay it all on the chain without actually studying it? I can't do that.
For all I know, some of the short life chains were in engines that sat for a long time and the oil inside the chain dripped down, causing some run time with insufficient oil in the pins and plates that make the chain.

Yes, I Do look at problems with an open mind.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #6 - 05/21/16 at 12:09:17

These problems happen when they try building a low maintenance engine , cause that's what people want ! But you still have to adjust the valves and cam chain should have a manual adjuster , like the yamaha sr500 just one more simple step in the tune up process. It just shows you that Suzuki considers the savage a disposable motorcycle. Yes Suzuki has failed to right this problem because they don't care as long as it will make it a little beyond the warranty period. That's why the engine is not used in racing,the sr500 with a bearing set up on cam and a manual cam chain adjuster is built for a long life and able to handle much more modification.
Yes I say Suzuki has failed us !!!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 05/21/16 at 12:30:18

Yes, the oil pump, cam sitting in the head, no inserts, CCT , with a new chain, is Way too extended, the pawl grabs a new tooth way too easily, and what would it take to address these issues? I'm not an engineer, I don't know, but Ohhh boy, what a different beast to have in the stable.. if only they would.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 05/21/16 at 14:13:41

Yes you are correct , but I'm still going to deal with it , just something you need to monitor all to often. One of the guys has a great idea of install a sight glass on that side cover so it would be just like checking the oil level just at a glance.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #9 - 05/21/16 at 14:33:27

Fewer teeth and about double the width of each tooth would do it . I know Versy can do it I'm sure he can! Back when I worked on trucks had similar problem with auto adjust clutches when they backed into loading docks to hard they would loose all the clutch pedal , told my sales rep what they needed to do! They went to fewer wider taller teeth and their problem is gone , only took a dumb wrench to figure it out !!!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #10 - 05/21/16 at 15:02:27

so throw a filler weld in every other tooth and sand/file/machine smooth?

the other issue is that it is across ALL their cruiser models, just read other forums and every single one has 1000's of posts all with this same cam chain issue ... it's a nightmare for owners ...

and a money maker for Suzuki ... planned obsolescence = more service dollars for the stealership/factory ...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 05/21/16 at 15:26:01

sure I can do it, give $2000 and your bike for 8 weeks to tear down the engine, put in a manual adjuster that you can adjust from the outside.

Cool

WWW   IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #12 - 05/21/16 at 16:10:57

no way  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

I'm still waiting for the "On Vacation" sign to be flipped so I can get this new cam adjuster modded, no way am I sending you ANOTHER project  Wink

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 05/21/16 at 16:17:43

where is this "vacation sign" that you keep talking about?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 05/21/16 at 16:42:23

On his cap.......

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:28:07

General CategoryThe Cafe › It's SUZUKI's fault ...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.