ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Tasty Thumpers
Reply #90 - 05/27/16 at 04:34:27

thumperclone wrote on 05/27/16 at 01:35:58:
badwolf wrote on 05/25/16 at 19:06:38:
Can they really be called thumpers if they are 2 strokes?

no

We had a long debate about that a couple years ago.....there was no clear winner.  If you all want to keep this thread "4 stroke only".....I can live with that, as I agree the 2 strokes don't ever go "thump - thump - thump".....it is more of a "poot - poot - poot" or "tut - tut - tut"!

However.....if I was going to nominate a 2 stroke motorcycle for the title of "Thumper"....it would be the 501 Maico.  It was a brutal motocross bike in the 70's, and just a bit too powerful for anyone to control and be fast on.  It could throw massive rooster tails, and wear out chains and rear tires quickly - but the power was just a bit too hard to contain for it to be fast around a track.  And look at those brakes!.....they were not very good at slowing this massive beat down.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #91 - 05/27/16 at 04:50:03

So....to get this back on the 4 stroke path.

A JAP speedway bike.  500cc, alcohol, single speed, no brakes....try to hang on!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #92 - 05/27/16 at 05:21:41

I heard tails about the Maico back they...ALL POWER ALL AT ONCE kind of thing was the word on it.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #93 - 05/27/16 at 05:47:30

I had a TM400 Suz back in the day of the 501 Maico, and they were FAST, IF you had the traction! Down here in the Fl. sand I could stay with, or pull them while they spun. But a good rider on a 250 could usually beat us both around the track.
Speedway racing IS AWESOME! The same bikes they put 1 1/4" spikes on and race on the ICE! Ice racers use hockey pads on their knees and lean over so far the bars almost touch! Check out some youtube vids on it and you will wonder HOW CRAZY some guys are. They don't race speedway all over, but if you ever get a chance to watch one in person, DO IT! No inside footpeg, the outside peg is fixed and they use it as a kickstand. Oh yea, the riders have been known to push their inside foot against another riders front tire in the corners to make them back off! We're talking LARGE balls here!

IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #94 - 05/27/16 at 07:32:21

A 'thumper' to me is a 4-stroke single cylinder.
The bigger the cc, the more it thumps...

Speedway is great!
Watching a bunch of riders on bikes (with no brakes) tear round a track, the smell, the noise, (of the crowd  Grin )

Anyway, check this speedway-inspired bike out :

http://cyrilhuzeblog.com/2015/07/20/speedway-racing-inspired-and-beautifully-...

« Last Edit: 05/28/16 at 10:27:48 by verslagen1 »  

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #95 - 05/27/16 at 12:01:47

I had a black Maico road bike era 1956, it was a good bike with an enclosed chain guard, but mixing oil and gas was a pain..

Kenny G

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #96 - 05/27/16 at 15:30:34

This mornings offering, JAWA 660

001_031.jpg

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #97 - 05/27/16 at 16:35:40

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #98 - 05/27/16 at 17:05:39

Maybe the montessa 500cc mx strokers should join the maico as an honorary thumper. They are beasts.
Speedway is still popular in Australia, and a healthy vintage/ classic race scene.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #99 - 05/28/16 at 07:35:21

seeing these two stroke singles reminds me, I once came across a small 'touring' bike (by which I mean a standard with hard bags, but factory) that was 500cc, 2 stroke. (I don't think it was a single though, I'm thinking it was a twin) Never got up the money for it so it got away
Today I can't remember the brand of it for the life of me, and google doesn't help
Wish I knew what the manufacturer was,l I thought it was a German name, but at 15, I might've been wrong about that

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #100 - 05/28/16 at 10:31:25

Serowbot,

The lack of going forward never had anything to do with Harley stopping production on Buells's. The people wanting to manufacturer the "Pea Shooter" could never get the funding together.

There are plenty of European Manufacturers that will sell single cylinder engines for building motorcycles, it is hard to sell a lot of big singles except to enthusiasts like you and me.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #101 - 05/30/16 at 09:42:33

My understanding was that Buell stopped the production of Buells, as in, Harley pressured him to make the Blast, a low budget motorcycle he hated, and upon expiration of his contract, he told Harley to go pee up a rope, and went back to being an independent builder
there's even a youtube vid of him putting supposedly the last Blast ever built brand new, through a crusher

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #102 - 05/30/16 at 10:17:48

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #103 - 05/30/16 at 10:56:34

Eric did the Blast Crush video to get ready for the import of the "Made In India" Street that sells even less than the Blast.

PR to denounce the Blast was as unsuccessful as the attempt to sell a "Made In India" motorcycle to Harley riders.

American Eagle has one of the 750 Street Bikes marked down $5000.00 and even converted it to look like a Cafe Racer and can't give it away.

My Blast is a 2009 and runs fine and I haven't had to do anything with a cam chain adjuster, head plug leak or anything else.

There are still Blasts being raced on the track and at Bonneville, but they never have to compete with a Savage/ S40.

Kenny G

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #104 - 05/30/16 at 11:40:39

maybe I should look for an old ducati head.   Huh